The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Cayleigh View Post
    I am not sure if he has ever has his teeth done. And we are out there twice a day. Once in the morning to let him out of sick bay into the pasture and at night to at least feed but sometimes ride too.
    Get. His. Teeth. Done. That is a very simple step that is appropriate, regardless of what is causing the choking. Horses need their teeth at least checked and usually floated, at least once per year. It doesn't really matter when they were last done. If they have not been done since you have owned him, they need to be done now.

There is no excuse not to take care of this basic health need for your horse.

6 members found this post helpful.

I had talked with a vet before and knowledgable horse people who all said the same thing, they don't need there teeth done until they get older they are fine when they are young but when my vet comes out for coggines and spring vaccination I am going to have his teeth checked.

I had talked with a vet before and knowledgable horse people who all said the same thing, they don't need there teeth done until they get older they are fine when they are young but when my vet comes out for coggines and spring vaccination I am going to have his teeth checked.
    With all due respect, this is completely incorrect. All horses, from the time they have teeth until they die, need a proper dental exam at least once per year. Horses which are still getting their adult teeth, and horses with dental problems need to be seen more often.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

4 members found this post helpful.

Here is some basic background material on equine dental care for you to read.
    http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/do...-4-bkm-sec.pdf
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Wrong.

Young horses need to be seen by the dentist as they shed caps and continued to be seen by the dentist yearly to assess the condition of their mouth. Some may not need anything done, but the majority do need floating before eight years old.

When you have a chronic choking horse, one of the number one things to rule out is a problem with the teeth. Considering that you have scoped the horse and have not really found a reason for his multiple chokes, needing a float is a VERY likely potential here.

Perhaps someone here can post the contact info for a good equine dentist in your area. By not addressing the horse's mouth, you are *neglecting* him. Having a dentist take a look at the horse with some regularity is not an optional piece of horse ownership.

6 members found this post helpful.

Agreed every horse on a yearly basis needs their teeth looked at not just older horses. This is an issue that needs investigated before the spring.

1 members found this post helpful.

If a real vet told you that horses don't need their teeth done until they are older, then I am Santa Claus!
    Last edited by PaintPony; Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

My gelding will be seven in February. When we went into UC Davis last spring to get his teeth done there were a few caps he hadn't shed and were causing problems. Also turns out he has a slight overbite and needs to be seen every six months.

You ABSOLUTELY need to get his teeth checked and floated! None of us can emphasize that any more than we already are. And if that is your vet's opinion, I'd start looking for another vet.

A choke-prone horse whose teeth you are unsure of having ever been checked need them checked NOW.

Not next Spring, 3-4 months from now.

ALL horses need their teeth checked twice a year from a very young age. I too am shocked a vet would say only older horses need that, and that explains too why this vet seems to non-chalant about the choke problem.

Please, for the love of your horse, get the vet out as soon as can be scheduled, and take the advice offered to you here.

3 members found this post helpful.

Cayleigh, your vet is not a good vet. And no one who is presently helping you with this horse in real life is a good horseman. You need to make the decision, RIGHT NOW to either arm yourself with the knowledge you need to be a good advocate for your horse (and that includes learning for yourself about things like how frequently horses need their teeth floated, causes and prevention of choke, etc.) OR you need to make the decision that it is time to sell your horse to someone who will care for him better.

Horses of ALL ages need their teeth checked (and usually floated) AT LEAST once a year. Often twice a year. FACT.

See this article. https://share.ehs.uen.org/node/1610

Quote: "Many old-timers will tell you that only older horses need their teeth floated. This is not true. Young horses' (under 6) teeth are changing very fast, and should be checked twice a year. Normal adult horses should all visit the dentist once a year. This regular work will help prevent the serious problems that otherwise might go undiscovered till the horse was older, when the problems have become so bad they can only be partially corrected. Horses' dental problems do not go away if no one fixes them; instead, they nearly always continue to get worse."

There is no excuse to continually fail to provide proper care to your horse (despite being given incompetent advice) when there are many resources available online that will all refute the VERY BAD advice you are getting from your vet.

2 members found this post helpful.

Is it fair to a horse to keep him if you're unable/unwilling to give him basic good care so he can have decent health? Is that really fair?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

After reading this thread, all I have to say is OMG. I am completely and utterly disgusted. At 15 with non-horsey parents, I would have handled this a lot differently. Im 17 and in every emergency situation, I have called a vet myself and had them come out. It is your families responsibility to take care of this animal. That means yearly vaccines, teeth floating, and worming. If you can't even get your horses teeth checked that means you aren't an appropriate care giver. This poor horse has been through enough. Feed the horse yourself with the appropriate food that everyone has suggested and get a certified vet to come see your horse. I personally would report you if this was going on in my barn. This is just plain sick. I'm sorry but if my horse was coughing and choking for more than 20 minutes an EMERGENCY vet would come out. I don't care if your parents haven't approved it. Your PARENTS own the horse and therefore need to provide adequate care for it!

I was going along feeling bad for Cayleigh thru this whole thread. When I got to this post I decided that Cayleigh must be a troll.

No vet in their right mind treats a horse for choke four times and does not suggest having teeth looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Freespool86 View Post
    His teeth need to be checked and floated every year. Hooks and waves form that need to be filed down. My gelding has a slight overbite and needs to be done twice a year or he develops hooks. You need to have a chat with your vet and get him taken care of, including his teeth.
    Checked yes, floated? not necessarily. It depends on the horse itself. Many horses don't require floating but once or twice in their lives. I would advise the OP to get her horse checked though.