The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Windows 8. Anyone have it yet?

How do you like it? Hubby needs a new laptop and before we plunge in to get one with Windows 8, I was hoping to get a few reviews from real people. Hubby is not very tech savvy at all. No smart phone experience and is still using Windows Vista ( which I hate). He mainly uses it for email to surf the net for deals on farm equipment.
    Please share your opinions.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Yes, I do.

Quite honestly, I hate it as a non-touch screen OS. It's annoying. I love it running on their tablets and find it light and easy to use, but it's just flat out annoying and useless on my laptop. Although it is very, very pretty, lots of color customizing.

Don't listen to everyone raving about how different it is, either...your non-tech-savvy, Vista-using (UGH!) hubby will be just fine with it, seeing as you can click on one button and it looks like the regular Windows desktop.

I got it for free and have it dualbooted on my Macbook. I certainly wouldn't pay for it and I'd be pretty hard-pressed to purposefully choose to use it as my main OS.

But take my opinion for what it's worth. I'm a recent college-grad in the tech industry and a die hard Mac/Linux lover, so I've got a slight Windows bias. I did say I liked their tablet, though!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'd wait until next year to buy it. There's new hardware coming out and that will be the REAL Windows 8 stuff. What's being sold now is mostly not what Windows 8 was designed for. There's also going to be a lot of fixes between the holidays and the next Summer/Back To School sales period.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

3 members found this post helpful.

Spent an entire day last week familiarizing myself with it so I could teach my non-tech-savvy mom how to use her new laptop, she couldn't even find the desktop on it.

Had a full-blown migraine by the time I was done. Did a lot of Googling to figure out the features.

It does some pretty groovy stuff but man it's a bear just jumping in blind and trying to figure it out. I'm sure I'll like it a lot better than Vista soon enough but it's going to take me a while to warm up to it. Not that I like Vista all that much. I oft find myself longing for my dinosaur Dell that ran XP.

A friend of mine got a new laptop last week with Windows and she hates it, hates it with a passion. Her tech guy did do something to let her use whatever she was used to. When my hard drive died last week, she said "whatever you do, stay away from Windows 8!"

I love it, but it sounds like I'm in the minority. However, I've been using the beta in a particular class for a few months now, so I'm rather accustomed to it. The biggest problem is how hard it can be to figure out at first. I wish they had made some of the navigation clearer, or offered an extensive tutorial. Once you have it down, it's great.

I'm not into graphics, what a waste of time searching for an icon. Touch is nice though. Goforgallop which tablet did you see it on?
    Me I still like xp. I can't stand that you can't play with apple's settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    I'm not into graphics, what a waste of time searching for an icon. Touch is nice though. Goforgallop which tablet did you see it on?
    Me I still like xp. I can't stand that you can't play with apple's settings.
    The Windows tablet, of course! The Surface, or whatever they're calling it.

What do you mean, not being able to play with Apple's settings? To the best of my knowledge there's nothing you can do on a Windows-machine that you can't do on an OSX one.

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    I love it, but it sounds like I'm in the minority. However, I've been using the beta in a particular class for a few months now, so I'm rather accustomed to it. The biggest problem is how hard it can be to figure out at first. I wish they had made some of the navigation clearer, or offered an extensive tutorial. Once you have it down, it's great.
    I think it comes very easily and very naturally to those who are familiar with smartphones/touch screen devices. Which is the point, obviously. It's a light, quick OS meant to function like the rest of the devices that people are using in their every day lives.

If, however, you do not currently have a touch screen device, there is a learning curve. Add in the occasional dose of grumpiness over technology and change and it can be nearly impossible.

If you try to change some of the calls/ scripts / programming in the core of apple os you are considered to be "jail broke" and some apps will not load because of it. I love to get at the innards of windows and tweak it, can't do that on Apple O.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    If you try to change some of the calls/ scripts / programming in the core of apple os you are considered to be "jail broke" and some apps will not load because of it. I love to get at the innards of windows and tweak it, can't do that on Apple O.S.
    Never had an issue with my jailbroken devices! Sounds like you need Linux more than Windows.

Nevertheless, I don't think not being able to alter coding is of much concern to many of the readers of this thread, so maybe I'll PM you.

Edit: Since your PM box is full up, I'll have to bore readers a little further!
    Okay, so now I'm super curious about what exactly you're trying to get your Windows-machine to do that the OSX-machine can't. You can get right into the backend of the OSX (of desktops/laptops, of course) by going right to Terminal, or interrupting during startup, and I've never done anything that I would then consider having "jail broken" my device. (iPhone is a different matter)

I'm intrigued!

It was a hack fix for a newly released optimum online app. I'm a legitimate subscriber and on my own wifi in my house. I tried the fix and optimum app then got a denied service message because it was "jail broken". I never figured out if I had accidentally downloaded the iPhone version or what, but they posted a newer version in two weeks after many complaints and that worked.

I mess with infinite registries in windows, from network to application settings, there is so much in there

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I'd wait until next year to buy it. There's new hardware coming out and that will be the REAL Windows 8 stuff. What's being sold now is mostly not what Windows 8 was designed for. There's also going to be a lot of fixes between the holidays and the next Summer/Back To School sales period.
    Ditto.

Remember the definition of a "pioneer": a person shot full arrows.

I, too, will be looking as my tablet and phone will be up for replacement in spring and summer, respectively. I'll make my call when the technology has "matured" some.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I think I'll stick with Windows 7 for now.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Thanks for all the replies. Hubby is really wanting a new computer but I'm trying to convince him to wait until this Spring to get one so at least maybe all the bugs will be worked out.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I actually liked it on the Surface tablet, and will probably update my laptop next year when the real version comes out, not sure about my desktop as I work from home and don't want to mess that up!

In Future Shop last week they had it on all their new laptops......it took me for flippin' ever to figure out how to find out where "Word" was..........By then I'd had enough and didn't even open Word to see what they'd screwed up this time!! (I hated when they changed to "ribbons" and just trying to insert a filename in the footer at work damn near caused us all to jump out of the window!!!!")
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Hubby is really wanting a new computer but I'm trying to convince him to wait until this Spring to get one so at least maybe all the bugs will be worked out.
    You can always just take him to get something with Windows 7. It will be a COLOSSAL upgrade from Vista (I do the Italian grandmother spit every time I say the word) and as it's still a simple desktop view, there will be minimal adjustment for him. Plus, as it's not the newest model on the block anymore, you might get a discount on machines already pre-installed with it, as the Windows 8 ones will be rolling off the trucks soon.