The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddle Shopping Thread - Vega CC Question #28

I'm currently saddle-shopping for my new horse, I was originally looking for an Amerigo Vega, but right now it seems impossible to find one in reasonably good condition, around 2k and the size we need.

I am absolutely open to other brands, I would just like to find something that fits my horse as well. He's a Tb, about a medium/medium-wide tree, curvier back, medium length withers etc. The Presitge Event saddle fits him well, so that type of fit.

Some saddles I have ridden in and liked:
    Amerigo Vega - Really liked it.
    Tad Coffin TC2 - (Looooved but I'm not sure it would fit new horsey)
    CWD, not sure of model. Liked it
    WISEAIR Dutton RZ - love love loved it. Unfortunately I can't find one used in our sizes.

-
    Last edited by rollonhighway; Dec. 7, 2012 at 08:47 AM.

Default Amerigo vs Vega

Quote Originally Posted by rollonhighway View Post

I'm currently saddle-shopping for my new horse, I was originally looking for an Amerigo Vega, but right now it seems impossible to find one in reasonably good condition, around 2k and the size we need.

S0, I'm just trying to get an idea of what the other Amerigo Monoflaps ride like. I know there is the Pinerolo & Vega - haven't really looked to see what others they carry.

I've ridden in & liked the vega, and it fits my horse well - I might have ridden in a Pinerolo when I was trying said ^ horse out, whatever it was i loooved it.

So basically, compared to the Vega because that's the one I have a Solid opinion on: What do the other Amerigo Monoflaps ride like?

I am absolutely open to other brands, I would just like to find something that fits my horse as well. He's a Tb, about a medium/medium-wide tree, curvy back, medium length withers etc. The Presitge Event saddle fits him decently as well, so that type of fit.
    I have 2 Amerigo, pinerolo, event monoflaps and love them both. I recently had an excellent saddle fitter out because I was using the Amerigo made for my now retired NZ TB, on my 3/4 TB mare who has an entirely different back. I knew the saddle didn't fit correctly. The saddle fitter had me try a Vega on the mare and it fit perfectly. The difference is in the tree. My mare is higher behind and doesn't have long sloping withers. The balance point of the Amerigo is further back than in the Vega so that was one reason for the poor fit of the Amerigo. This mare's full brother is built uphill but he needed the tree in the Vega also.

So it will depend on the shape and length of your horse's back as to which of the 2 trees will fit him better. Also, ask the person you bought him from what saddle you rode him in.

HTH,
    Mary in Western NY
    http://www.BPEquine.com

I have the pinerolo and love it. It's so comfortable, feels very secure and it fits my high and narrow withered horse with a shorter back very well.

The best thing is to just try them. I didn't try the vega, just the pinerolo and fell in love with it and it fit my horse so I just kept it.

It's such an individual thing. Love reading saddle threads! What different styles are there and can anyone provide links?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I had an Amerigo CC monoflap, in the Pinerolo leather (I believe Pinerolo refers to the calfskin leather). Got it for a steal off Ebay, $1700 I think, in a 17" with a MW tree. My thoughts? Luscious leather, sooo pretty to look at. The MW tree ran a little narrow for my boy, who's a pretty standard MW. The panels fit him well - he's slightly flatter backed, with a high and long sloping wither and huge shoulders. I didn't care for the saddle for me - the balance point, as with all saddles that Peter Menet designs, was very forward and I like to sit down to a jump. It didn't really give me any place to sit, know what I mean? That, and the combination of being a bit tight for my horse made me sell it for more than I paid for it - around $2600 I think. So, if you look around, you can probably find them for very reasonable prices. Here's one for $2k in Colorado: http://eventingnation.com/sporthorse...-for-sale.html. HTH!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Others before me have covered much of the important ground, so I'll abbreviate my comments on Amerigo to "they all ride pretty similarly. Not identical, but very similar." There are some subtle differences in fit. Based on your verbal description, it would be hard to suss out which ones would be the best matches. Do be aware that the Vega Monoflap was overhauled a few years ago and the new and old versions of it are substantially different.

$2000 is a nice little chunk of change, but it's a very tight fit for the used, high-end Italian/French monoflap market. You can absolutely find them out there on that budget, especially if you look at some of the "shoulder brands" that aren't so hot on the market or get lucky on Ebay etc. But my point is, your budget will go further if you consider dual-flap saddles too. So are you dead-set on a monoflap? And are you dead-set on wool, or woud you look at foam panels? Are you looking for top-shelf saddles only or would you consider the mid-range monoflaps designed to retail at $1500-$2200 (Kent and Masters S-Series Monoflap, Pessoa XCH Monoflap, HDR Devrel Monoflap, etc.)? All useful to know before I start running my mouth re "other brands." I will also PM you with a saddle of interest (not my saddle, just one I've seen that I suspect is a sleeper that you'd never find on your own.)

eventer_mi, I don't want to hijack, but are you still enjoying that Childeric monoflap? I've only talked to one other rider who's got one. Would love to hear your review, either here or via PM.

One thing to think about is that they are not bot exactly Amerigos.

The Vega is a different brand and made juuuust a little different.
    I tried the Amerigo deep dressage and the Vega dressage a while back.

Apparently the Amerigos have a wood tree and the Vegas have a spring tree?
    That's what I was told.

Not sure about the jump saddles but the Amerigo dressage had a really narrow gullet. The Vega had a wider gullet.

The only saddle my horse ever objected to harshly (like cow kicked through an entire dressage test) was the Amerigo saddle. Not sure why...

So it would be good to def see them both together to assess differences.

As for the jump saddles--I think the monoflaps have really small blocks--and they are never in the right spot for me. But if you like them and the fit is good then that rocks. +
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    One thing to think about is that they are not bot exactly Amerigos.

The Vega is a different brand and made juuuust a little different.
    I tried the Amerigo deep dressage and the Vega dressage a while back.

Apparently the Amerigos have a wood tree and the Vegas have a spring tree?
    That's what I was told.
    Amerigo builds on wood trees, Vega on synthetic trees. Although they are not advertised as such, Vegas are essentially a working average of the measurements in the Amerigo line designed to fit a diverse set of horses. I'd agree that the Amerigo dressage lineup is much more diverse than the jump lineup, thus the Vega "working average" drifts a little further from some specialty models like the Amerigo Deep Dressage or Amerigo Pinerolo Alto. But I'd be curious to hear from riders who tried the Vega Dressage and the Amerigo Standard Dressage. I bet they'd observe less (not zero, but less) difference between the two.

One thing to add for the OP--Pinerolo is actually a leather designation, not a model per se. You do see it in the names of certain Amerigo saddles, but again it just designates the leather type. There are Amerigo Pinerolo DJ Monoflaps and Amerigo Pinerolo CC Monoflaps out there, and those will ride slightly differently since one is built on the DJ tree and one is built on the CC tree. Without seeing the horse, it would be hard to advise about which of those would suit better.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Others before me have covered much of the important ground, so I'll abbreviate my comments on Amerigo to "they all ride pretty similarly. Not identical, but very similar." There are some subtle differences in fit. Based on your verbal description, it would be hard to suss out which ones would be the best matches. Do be aware that the Vega Monoflap was overhauled a few years ago and the new and old versions of it are substantially different.

$2000 is a nice little chunk of change, but it's a very tight fit for the used, high-end Italian/French monoflap market. You can absolutely find them out there on that budget, especially if you look at some of the "shoulder brands" that aren't so hot on the market or get lucky on Ebay etc. But my point is, your budget will go further if you consider dual-flap saddles too. So are you dead-set on a monoflap? And are you dead-set on wool, or woud you look at foam panels? Are you looking for top-shelf saddles only or would you consider the mid-range monoflaps designed to retail at $1500-$2200 (Kent and Masters S-Series Monoflap, Pessoa XCH Monoflap, HDR Devrel Monoflap, etc.)? All useful to know before I start running my mouth re "other brands." I will also PM you with a saddle of interest (not my saddle, just one I've seen that I suspect is a sleeper that you'd never find on your own.)

eventer_mi, I don't want to hijack, but are you still enjoying that Childeric monoflap? I've only talked to one other rider who's got one. Would love to hear your review, either here or via PM.
    Last edited by SSEventing; Nov. 22, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

I would definitely be open to dual flaps too, I guess it just depends on the exact saddle (as always). I was riding in a Prestige Event that I did not like, it was very secure, but a bit too much for me, it seemed hard to go between positions while jumping.

I was going to ask you what your opinion was on the Pessoa Monoflap, I saw your comment in another saddle thread about it and was curious. I have ridden this particular horse in a Pessoa Gen X for a couple weeks and it fits him well - and I enjoyed riding in it, only I wasn't so fond of the quality and the fact that I needed a more forward flap for jumping over 3'.

Edit: The Pinerolo I was speaking of is the CC. Sorry I didn't clarify haha.

WISAIR Dutton RZ - love love loved it. Unfortunately I can't find one used in our sizes.
    These saddles list at $2600 & Wiseair is offering a Christmas special, so give them & call & see if you can sort something out

An older Vega should be "findable" in the 2K range (at least they were last year - don't just look online, also call any consignment shops, any dealers of Amerigo/Vega etc) - though I suppose alot depends on your seat requirement (the tree can easily be adjusted, just include shipping + adjustment fee in your budget).

Also consider the Equipe line - there are some excellent deals on those used (or "like new") & the synthetic tree is very crankable.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was going to ask you what your opinion was on the Pessoa Monoflap, I saw your comment in another saddle thread about it and was curious. I have ridden this particular horse in a Pessoa Gen X for a couple weeks and it fits him well - and I enjoyed riding in it, only I wasn't so fond of the quality and the fact that I needed a more forward flap for jumping over 3'.
    I'll shoot you a PM in a moment with more specific ideas, but I thought I'd answer this one in public. I don't mind the Pessoa Monoflap XCH. It's a step up from some of the other stuff in the Pessoa lineup, on par quality-wise with their Legacy line. The GenX is made to a lower quality standard than the Monoflap XCH. That said, I don't think it can compete quality-wise with a used French or British saddle. As a gross generalization, Pessoa tack is marked UP from where I think its value really lies and British tack is marked DOWN from where its value lies. So for example, a used $2200 Vega is going to outclass a brand-new $2100 Pessoa Monoflap XCH. I'd say the Pessoa Monoflap XCH is a fine choice in the mid-range market but if you're looking for maximum bang for your buck, I'd say keep on looking for something used and high-end. There are definitely situations where I'd recommend the Pessoa Monoflap XCH as a "look at this first" pick, but for your search I'd say it goes in the second string.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    These saddles list at $2600 & Wiseair is offering a Christmas special, so give them & call & see if you can sort something out

An older Vega should be "findable" in the 2K range (at least they were last year - don't just look online, also call any consignment shops, any dealers of Amerigo/Vega etc) - though I suppose alot depends on your seat requirement (the tree can easily be adjusted, just include shipping + adjustment fee in your budget).

Also consider the Equipe line - there are some excellent deals on those used (or "like new") & the synthetic tree is very crankable.
    Ohhhe really? That is very temping... i'll have to call and see if we can. That would be awesome.

jn4jenny: Thanks. I'll keep it on my ifallelsefails backup list, aha.

FYI, the Wise Christmas special is 10% off on 16.5" and 17" saddles. And they're throwing in some free bridles and breastplates with purchase.

Equipe has a nice lineup, but choose carefully. A lot of their tack is made for a straighter topline. The Equipe Grand Prix is a nice choice for a curvy topline, but it's a total PITA to find in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    FYI, the Wise Christmas special is 10% off on 16.5" and 17" saddles. And they're throwing in some free bridles and breastplates with purchase.
    I did alot of sourcing for the lab I worked for - the door is open, shall we say

I stumbled across a US shop that had much of the Equipe lineup - at least online - (sometime in the spring I think) - 'course, can't recall who/where
    BUT call up Equi-products & chat with Bill Perrat as they do ALOT of Equipe (& he may be able to find you something used) ...

Anyone ever ridden in one of these?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/County-Extre...item43b207735b

Anyone ever ridden in one of these?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/County-Extre...item43b207735b
    Request the serial number & then contact County Head Office to confirm age, seat/tree size, type of panels etc; also ask about fit for the rider.

MD Tack Exchange has had several Counties in over the last couple of months.

Ahh.
    Ok, to clarify one thing with the Amerigo VEGA: Can the be adjusted or not? I know regular Amerigo's can, but I can't seem to get a firm answer on if the Vega's can.

MD Tack Exchange has a 17" Amerigo Vega, Wide tree. And final price is $1,800 i believe.

I had a County Extreme and loved it. I sold my horse and the Extreme with him. I had a County rep come out to fit my new horse with an Extreme. They were pushing the "next, best" thing, which was a County Conquest. I really wanted an Extreme, but the rep talked me out of it. I was never happy with the Conquest.

Does the County on ebay have a return policy, if it does not fit your horse or you?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

^ Yes, it does have a return.

It just looks sooo forward. I'm 5'5" with longish legs, but they definitely aren't uber long haha.