The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exercise or cruelty

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It doesn't surprise me. Everything is a spectacle these days.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Stupid smartphone.
    At first glance it looked cruel, but after doing more research I have changed my opinion to not something I would do with my dogs, and as long as it's done humanely and the animal enjoys it then it doesn't bother me.
    Last edited by LovelyBay; Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: phone
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

1 members found this post helpful.

We have a dog weight pull club in this area. I've seen them in action and don't see any cruelty in it. It's not just for pit bulls. They have size/weight divisions for all types of dogs. I talked with one of the club members at length when they were having a weight pull competition in front of the local Petsmart. They are big into properly conditioning the dog and start our with very little weight. The dogs I saw looked like they were having a great time. I was thinking about trying it with my heeler/hound mix but just didn't have the time.

ETA: A quick search found this site.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Now that I think about it, it kinda reminds me of the Pampers commercial - or maybe it was Huggies - where they were having a contest - this was a CGI kids cartoon type commercial and not real babies - with a bunch of babies to see who would produce the biggest crap in their diaper. It was oddly fascinating yet inhuman and cruel at the same time.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

How is it worse than horse pulling?

6 members found this post helpful.

This is just ridiculous. It's caused a huge uproar in the weight pull community, which FYI, isn't just for Pit Bulls! I've watched JRT's pull, Pugs pull, Papillons, Basenji's, Huskies, etc. Virtually every breed can and has pulled before. "Must come from fighting lines"..ookay..

Two of my dogs LOVE to weight pull. You can't force a dog to pull.. they either will, or they won't. One of my dogs is a bit insecure and it has really helped him.. it is so cute to watch how proud his gets of himself after he pulls!

Anyway, the whole thing is just dumb, and a blatant attack on the Pit Bull community. God forbid a shelter try to help get some of their dogs out of that environment, giving them something to do and letting people see them outside of a concrete building
    -Kady

5 members found this post helpful.

And please, before anyone judges, try to find a weight pull club in your area and go watch! There are no stipulations, your dog can be a mixed breed, purebred, spayed/neutered, whatever, any dog can try it out.
    -Kady

I've seen it. The dogs really enjoy the challenge of pulling, and you can tell if one's not really into it that day. They cannot do it if they are not properly made or conditioned.

This little Chinese Crested can over 700 pounds on wheels: Toby the Strong. He's also a UKC champion. Neat little dog. You can see how he uses himself to pull - but you can also see that a good structure is needed for the sport.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I can see how it could go overboard, just like with horse pulling. My huge Labrador (100#, has some great Dane in him somewhere), pulls a cart to the local fruit stand, and carries MAYBE 20# of produce back for me, once every few weeks. Saves on gas and gets him out, he's a true couch dog.

But what happened to walking your dogs for exercise??

We had Bernese Mountain Dogs in the '70s and these contests were sometimes part of breed shows/gatherings. The BMD was bred as a draft dog and is quite capable of pulling significant weight.

As long as the dog is properly bred and conditioned it's no different than a pulling contest for a sled dog or draft horse or any other draft animal.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    But what happened to walking your dogs for exercise??
    What's wrong with finding other ways to exercise your dog?

I know for my dogs (who btw, are all Bully breeds: http://kadysturtsman.smugmug.com/Ani...4713&k=5CTbXwX), a simple walk is not enough, not by a long shot. We go to a 100+ acre park where they run for miles, and for my youngest even that doesn't stop him.

The main breeds that do WP are working breeds. These are dogs that a bred to WORK, not sleep on a couch all day. Unfortunately many people have the idea that if you actually *gasp* put your dog to work or do something physical with it you become some mean dog owner.

I find it funny that WP is getting attention right now.. what about agility? I've seen numerous dogs get injured during agility events, don't see anyone freaking out over that. I do agility with my youngest, so I'm by no means against it, just find it interesting.
    -Kady

Oh for heaven's sake...there are also breeds that are made for pulling weights. (not speed sleds) Malamutes are still required to tow a certain amount of heavy weight at many shows. Before they go into the show ring, there's a weighted sledge they have to pull first. If they can't pull, they can't show. (which is why Mals are often shown with non-clipped nails...so they can pull)

Not to mention ever try to walk a Mal puppy? Hook them up, those rear hydraulics engage and they pull. You have to train Mals as pups to NOT pull so you can walk them.

And they *love* to haul weights...the heavier the better. And many breeds enjoy it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

The main breeds that do WP are working breeds. These are dogs that a bred to WORK, not sleep on a couch all day. Unfortunately many people have the idea that if you actually *gasp* put your dog to work or do something physical with it you become some mean dog owner.
    This. Exactly. So many people these days think dogs should automatically sleep on the couch and go answer nature's call in the backyard, on command, and that's it.

I find no harm AT ALL in dogs doing things like this. I can only imagine how much they love it, and knowing and loving some incredible pit bulls and other big, strong dogs, I could see them absolutely loving this activity. They would think they were freaking ROCK STARS!!!

Rather than this than fighting. A lot of dogs were BRED to do this work, too.

I actually do this with my dogs- no, they aren't pit bulls. It is a wonderful way to build up the hind end muscles. It's not cruel- unlike many horse activities and traditional dog training activities, there is NO force or punishment used to make the dogs pull- no whips, no prong collars, no leashes. The handlers work really hard to get the dogs to enjoy it and feel proud of being able to move the weight. Most handlers watch their dogs carefully and quit long before the dog wants to because you need the dog to want to pull, and if the dog is asked to pull a weight that is too heavy, it will affect the dog's confidence. The huge impressive weights you see in pics are only very slowly worked up to over months and years of gradual conditioning.

most dogs today are so unfit, so overweight, and so BORED that it borders on cruelty- weightpulling is an activity that doesn't require much in the way of space or equipment, it would be great to see more people take it up. Will improve the welfare of dogs.

as to "walking your dog for exercise", well, yes, you SHOULD walk your dog, each and every day, because getting out and about is good for their minds, but I hate to tell you this: walking a large dog on a leash at human walking pace isn't really exercise for the dog. To get any aerobic benefit, the dog needs to move at a brisk trot for at least 30 minutes, and that means the person holding the leash has to run at a good clip instead of walking. And that just provides aerobic exercise- a full exercise routine includes muscle strengthening work and flexibility work as well as aerobic exercise. Walking your dog is a good start, but it's not sufficient for most dogs.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yep...agreed with those who dogs *need* to work/exercise beyond the rare walk on a leash, sniffing around a yard and holding the couch cushions down.

And for many breeds...the sedentary lifestyle is akin to psychological punishment. It manifests in all the behavior issues folks complain about. A bored dog is not a happy or healthy dog. But a tired dog is!

Not working the body is bad for the body *and* the mind.

And pulling is a positive reinforcement activity. And rare injuries aside...it's a great preventative for hip/hock problems. A heavy layer of muscle supports both beautifully.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

When I lived in Estes Park they had regular dog pulls. Talk about happy dogs that were VERY obviously well-loved by their people.

It depends on how enthusiastic the dog is.

My pyr thought she was being punished when I hitched her to a restored wooden dog cart.
    I ended up giving the cart to her breeder since my dog disliked it so.

I think the sled breeds would take to it like a duck to water, but they are made for pulling speed in groups not 1 dog weight pulls.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Like every sport I am sure there are people who take it too far, but overall I think it is great for these dogs to have a hobby.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett