The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ski on Christmas Day: CO or NM?

Help! My family all went crazy this year. We went from the closest family unit to the largest drama unit.

DH, DS and I are thinking of running away for a Christmas ski trip and skipping the whole Holiday.

Do we do Vail, Santa Fe, Taos, Aspen, Lake Tahoe.....??

Will also need help telling family we are not joining them this year.

Santa Fe is a great town but it's somewhat removed from actual skiing; the closest ski area is more workaday and not posh like you'd get at Vail or Lake Tahoe. On the other hand, it's a great town and a great place to be for xmas.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have not skied NM...I happen to really like the back bowl of Breck, A Basin, and Copper. I like to get a condo up at Lake Dillon and go from there as home base.

I am sure that no matter where you go, it will be great!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Aspen is always nice - but DH's family is from the area, so maybe I'm biased! Which place has the best snow this year?
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Well, it's not looking real promising in Colorado for super awesome snow this year. DH and I are headed up to Winter Park for a couple of days over Thanksgiving. Thank goodness we have a season pass, or it just wouldn't be worth it.

If you are planning to come skiing in Co this season, how about you pitch in on the snow dance? I'm doing mine daily.
    Dreaming in Color

I've only been to Aspen, so can't give opinions on the others...that said, it was great! Lots to do when you're done on the slopes, great restaurants and shopping.

My DH, who is a CO native, says Steamboat (although that wasn't on your list). I had friends who skied Vail last week. I think only one run was open.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
    My DH, who is a CO native, says Steamboat (although that wasn't on your list). I had friends who skied Vail last week. I think only one run was open.
    Had a condo there (steamboat) for years and I would totally skip on the holidays-the lines are outrageous unless you know the mountain and are a great line poacher () Plus harder to get to from Denver. Beaver Creek might be okay at Christmas.

Taos if you are a pretty strong skier, and the town is cool at Christmas.

If its not such a hot year for snow I would head for A-Basin (arapahoe Basin) up I-70 from Denver. They ALWAYS have snow given their 11k elevation.

Of course, you could always take Amtrak right to whitefish (montana) and ski Big Mountain (now called white fish mountain resort by the calfornia morons who bought it). Crowds are NEVER bad (you can do laps) but will may be doing them in fog, serious fog!!

I've skied lots of CO. Steamboat is actually my favorite, but that is partly because I really like that there is a town that has affordable options. Places to eat that won't require a second mortgage on your house. Decent Apres Ski at the base. If you get good snow when there, some of the best I have ever skied in.

Never been to NM so I can't speak to the skiing there.

Love Taos, NM! But CO may be a better bet at Christmas time. We're Breckinridge fans, because hotels/condos are more affordable and it's close enough to Vail (oh, those back bowls!!!) to ski there a day or two. You just need to pay attention to snow fall. If you're escaping family you need great conditions! Tahoe, CA is great too. Heavenly Valley is our favorite!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

I say CO, but I might be a little biased . I don't ski but I've been to Breckenridge and Vail in the summer for hiking. I love LOVED them both
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Depending on your tolerance for altitude, Breck or A-Basin can be tough. it takes me a couple of days to really be able to manage Breck.

How about coming upto Canada......Alberta or BC? We already have tons of snow at Lake Louise and Sunshine (something like 10" in the last 48 hrs). Nothing like Rocky Mountain Powder to make your Christmas
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Taos is my personal favorite. Stunningly beautiful, great snow, and absolutely amazing instructors if you need them. (Also: STEEP!)

Psst, we are hot and in a record breaking drought in the West.
    That means little snow.
    I have not heard in our news of any NM sky slopes open yet.

If you want decent skying snow, keep your eye on the weather.
    If nothing gets going, head up North, to Canada.

Big Sky, Montana? Bridger Bowl is nearby for variety. Downtown Bozeman is like a little baby Aspen, CO. Yellowstone is an hour south or so...

Looks like the mountain opened today.

http://www.bigskyresort.com/

horseshrink is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

OK. Looks like we are making the great escape....somewhere....anywhere.

Think we are trying to make a trip at the wrong time of year. Prices are double/tripled most places.

Did see that Santa Fe is farther from skiing, but not too bad. Town looks great. Seems to be afordable. We can do a day trip to Taos.

Winter Park, Breckenridge, Vail, Aspen all look wonderful, but big bucks. $274 per person for lift ticket and $500 per night for lodging. Probably less expensive options for hotels, but tough to find/locate through their websites and would be afraid of booking without knowing. Lake Tahoe seems a little too far now for a few day escape and harder to get to.

Canada....eh.....hmmm....interesting suggestion. Will check into that.

THANKS for all the suggestions. I'm so disappointed in my family at this time of the year.

Is Big Sky slumming it too much?

horseshrink is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Is Big Sky slumming it too much?
    Oooohhh. Just looked at Big Sky. Interesting. Nice web cam. Big selection on lodging. Can you make suggestion? Also, where would we fly in to?

Thanks.

Fly into Bozeman (BZN); I think just about anywhere up there is great! I'll ask around with the people I know and see what they recommend. I've never stayed there since we lived nearby but every year my husband would ski from the top of Lone Peak.