The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mac Users help with video software

Okay, I know all you breeders are out there videoing your sporthorses for prospective buyers....and some of you must be MAC users. So, I'm about to retire my aged Mac notebook (non-intel processor, running version OS X.5.8) and get something new and MAC. I've been using an old, old version of Final Cut Express (runs on OS 9) and I want something easier, more intuitive and less stressful.

I video using a SONY recorder, old as well, but functional with high quality video.

Please help me find something for Black Friday.....I have horses waiting for new owners and I feel helpless......I'm open to suggestions on hardware and a new video software program.

MacBook Pro running imovie, with which it comes pre-loaded. I video using a simple Kodak Zi8 (the key is using a dedicated video recorder rather than the video on a camera). The imovie will automatically detect your recorder. If it doesn't then there's a, not simple, but not desperately complex, way to get video from your recorder into imovie.

Final Cut Express!? Girrrrrrl, that is a dinosaur.

iMovie will run on any Mac available on the market today and it was designed for exactly the market you're describing. Simple, intuitive, and actually surprisingly powerful. I teach digital media composition at a large university, and even my students who know Final Cut Pro often come to prefer iMovie. (The exception would be if you're doing professional studio-quality work, but for sales videos on Youtube? Definitely iMovie.) If you PM me, I'd be glad to send you the handout that I give my students re: iMovie. It'll give you a good idea of how very simple the program is. And of course, there's lots of Youtube tutorials out there for it. iMovie '11 is the latest release.

If you're also looking for hardware recommendations, may I simply suggest that most people buy WAY more Mac than they need. The most basic Macbook Air or Macbook Pro on the market is more power than you're ever going to touch unless you do pretty intensive video or graphic design (again, I'm talking professional stuff, not folks at home editing an hour or two of home video or two. However, if you go with Macbook Air, think about storage space. The base models can have as little as 64GB of storage, which isn't much once you start installing programs and editing video footage. My Macbook Air has 256GB and I get along fine with that, but I wouldn't want to go with less. But I also travel with my machine almost daily, so lugging around a heavier Macbook Pro with a non-solid-state (and therefore more fragile) hard drive didn't make sense. Nothing wrong with a Macbook Pro if it fits your lifestyle.

If price is an object, there's tons of refurb macs on the Apple Store right now. Sometimes Apple will give a small discount for Black Friday, and they also give educator/student discounts.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

For sales videos? iMovie hands down for ease of use. jn4jenny is right - any MacBook Pro is going to have more processing power than you need - but you will need storage space so take that into consideration. However, external storage is cheap and can be used for backup/archival purposes.

One thing to keep in mind. If you are using an older Sony and Powerbook you are more than likely using Firewire 400 (Sony calls it iLink IIRC) New Macs typically have Firewire 800 - so you will need an adapter. They are cheap though.
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

With iMovie has anyone figured out a way to get a still from the video as a photo? I used to have the option to "add freeze frame" then "reveal in finder" but Apple replaced my iMac they messed up and the new iMovie doesn't have it. VERY annoying. Any help or suggestion appreciated. Internet searches imply I am SOL but I'm holding out hope. Anyone??
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post
    With iMovie has anyone figured out a way to get a still from the video as a photo? I used to have the option to "add freeze frame" then "reveal in finder" but Apple replaced my iMac they messed up and the new iMovie doesn't have it. VERY annoying. Any help or suggestion appreciated. Internet searches imply I am SOL but I'm holding out hope. Anyone??
    No, I've never been able to find that functionality either. I use a free application named MPEG Streamclip

(http://mpeg-streamclip.en.softonic.com/mac/download)

to grab still frames an export them to jpeg files. Open the file, find the frame you want to export, click on File, Export Frame. It's also a great video convertor. Highly recommended.
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

It used to be possible but I guess they have removed that function for some reason? In the end I resorted to grabbing screen shots (shift command 4) - the resolution isn't great though.

Agreed the MacBookPro is overkill. We run Adobe Creative Suite on all our machines (book publishers) and I tend to forget that normal people don't need quite that amount of power

Default You guys ROCK!

Wow! Okay, it sounds like Air 256, iMovie, adapter cord and crib notes!

I'm actually looking forward to shopping. Something that doesn't happen very often. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SueL View Post
    No, I've never been able to find that functionality either. I use a free application named MPEG Streamclip

(http://mpeg-streamclip.en.softonic.com/mac/download)

to grab still frames an export them to jpeg files. Open the file, find the frame you want to export, click on File, Export Frame. It's also a great video convertor. Highly recommended.
    I have used stream clip too. And use imovie for my movies as well. Although I got a new video camera which saved avchd files, and I had to figure out a way to download since imovie won't recognize it. But google is your friend and I quickly found a program that is easy and fast (ClipWrap) which cloaks the .mts files and you can import and work on in imovie. Voila! And this new camera takes MUCH better video than the previous camera.

For example, I made this video of my mare last weekend. The ClipWrap cloaking and imovie was very fast and I made the movie in <20 minutes.

http://youtu.be/59pDL7D5fbk

Now iDVD, that's another matter and I had all sorts of issues with that. I am trying to make a full length DVD of both clinic days and iDVD is very flakey. I just spent money and bought Roxio Toast, which will hopefully work better for many applications (got good review).

Overall, I have had a mac for 2 years and it is much easier with video than my PCs were.

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post
    I assume that by "get a still from the video as a photo" you mean "export a separate photo file, not just put one in your video." But just in case, I'll give instructions for both procedures.

If you're trying to capture a still frame and put it in your movie in iMovie '11, just hover over whatever frame you want in the Event Library, right-click your mouse (or press Control + your touchpad if you're on a laptop--hint, the control button is not the command button) and choose "Add Still Frame." Unlike in iMovie '09 and earlier, you can't easily get to the still frame file in Finder, which brings us to my next paragraph.

If you're trying to capture a still frame from a video and save it as a photo, AND you are running a Mac on OS X Lion or Mountain Lion (that's 10.7 or 10.8), you can do this with Quicktime Player. Open your file in Quicktime Player, stop the video at whatever freeze frame you want, then go to Edit --> Copy. Then open Preview and (or another photo program if you prefer, like maybe Photoshop) and go to File --> New from Clipboard. Save the file somewhere, and you're done.

If you're running an earlier version of Mac OS X, like 10.6 Snow Leopard, then you either need to own Quicktime PRO (that's a paid program, unlike Quicktime Player) or you can use MPEG Streamclip or VLC Player for workarounds. I keep both MPEG and VLC on my machine: MPEG Streamclip for the video format conversion features, and VLC Player because it'll play almost any video format out there.

Re iDVD, it's not Apple's best work. Roxio Toast is fine, but for those who don't want to pay money, Burn is free and gets the job done. See the "Themes" tab on the Burn home page to add Theme functionality, similar to what iDVD has but less stupid/more intuitive.
    http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

PS on Macbook Air v. Macbook Pro: If lightness of the machine and a solid-state drive are not important to you, then the base-model Macbook Pro is $300 cheaper than the Macbook Air and will be more computer for your money. Again, a Macbook Air with 256GB solid-state drive is a TON of computer, but they start at $1499 and Macbook Pro starts at $1199. The other consideration is that Macbook Air is a very difficult machine to upgrade later whereas with a Macbook Pro with a non-solid-state drive, it's pretty painless to upgrade your RAM or drop in a bigger hard drive. For me, portability was key, and the Macbook Air still had plenty enough power to handle my needs.