The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Boots for a Shortie?

Hi all!

I'm new to the dressage world but I've been riding for a few years and am looking to buy a starter pair of tall boots. I'm kind of lost in all of the choices but, being a poor college student, don't have a lot to spend!

I've got an odd set of legs, apparently, and can't seem to fit in "normal" measurements on the boot size charts. I know the best thing to do would be to go to the store and try boots on, but I'm on a bit of a time-crunch at the end of the school semester. I'm looking around the market at the moment, so I'll probably visit a store before I buy, but I don't want to go in there to find out my only option is a custom boot!

I'm short and petite, and so my calves are 14.75" inches in height, but alas I have large calves, at 15" at the widest point with breeches and socks on. I can't find anything that looks like it would even remotely fit my legs.

Any help? Does anyone know of any brands that might fit my particular mold? Or how much I can allow myself here or there when buying boots?

Many thanks!

-Mari

Quote Originally Posted by mariolka0392 View Post
    Hi all!

I'm new to the dressage world but I've been riding for a few years and am looking to buy a starter pair of tall boots. I'm kind of lost in all of the choices but, being a poor college student, don't have a lot to spend!

I've got an odd set of legs, apparently, and can't seem to fit in "normal" measurements on the boot size charts. I know the best thing to do would be to go to the store and try boots on, but I'm on a bit of a time-crunch at the end of the school semester. I'm looking around the market at the moment, so I'll probably visit a store before I buy, but I don't want to go in there to find out my only option is a custom boot!

I'm short and petite, and so my calves are 14.75" inches in height, but alas I have large calves, at 15" at the widest point with breeches and socks on. I can't find anything that looks like it would even remotely fit my legs.

Any help? Does anyone know of any brands that might fit my particular mold? Or how much I can allow myself here or there when buying boots?

Many thanks!

-Mari
    what size is your hoof? If you are a size 5.5 I may have a pair of boots for you. Brand new Ariat Maestros that have been altered, calf widened, nice heavy duty front zipper added... but cobbler cut them way too short! Message me for details if you are interested.

Ah, yes, that would be important info! I'm a size 6 normally but I've tried on size 6 boots that have been too large. I think my paddock boot is a 5. I will message you! (In the meantime, if anyone else has suggestions, I'm still all ears!)

If that can help: Ariat sizing chart

I think you could still try to buy "off the rack" boots and have them altered but going custom would definitively be a good choice.