The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To re-iterate - the Dec. 29 thing is a Joint meet between Warrneton Hunt and Old Dominion Hounds.
    It is in the Warrenton territory, which means, their land, their hounds, their staff, their field masters.
    This is why I am being cautionary for total newbies.
    I just -re-read my own words above - they come out as discouraging. NOT AT ALL. Just trying to explain the diff. between riding with a group expressly created to bring-along newb's, as opposed to riding with a group with no such animal!
    I hope that is clear!!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Thumbs up Just Sayin'....

Hunters Rest speaks volumes. In my last 2 hunts....guests were NOT allowed or encouraged for joint meets. Joint meets are for MEMBERS to meet members and enjoy each others meets. A privelege of membership. They are usually huge meets and any extra folks are not needed. Nor would you expect the host hunt to feed the guest hunts guests! Guests should not bring guests. Only members can bring guests and as a guest hunt at a joint meet shouldn't be bringing THEIR guests. The host hunt can host guests but not the guest hunt.

It boils down to a traffic control issue. These are 2 big hunts. There will be over 80 riders for sure.....Also..... It's always sensitive when guests only show up for the big meets with breakfasts for example. They just wanna do the parties.

So if a host hunt member (Warrenton Hunt) sponsors your attendance for the day; then it's on them. But honestly, a joint meet is NO PLACE for newbies or green horses. There can be some antics that can be discouraging even. Some hunts kinda "show off" with a lot of galloping & jumping and huntsmen might stay out for hours !! Machismo in action! There are so many better opportunities to see/experience foxhunting. Joints are a private affair between the 2 hunts; not a public affair.
    Just My Humble Opinion based on experience!

1 members found this post helpful.

Currently my new horse and I are as round as we are tall (and as unfit) so I won't be riding if I can swing getting away...BUTTTT I wanted to just give a shout out to Hunter's Rest to say that no trip, hunting or not, to see HR and the COTH crew in VA has ever been wasted. I learned a lot car following this last time, and HR has always done a wonderful job of exposing us Northerners to the best that VA has for horses. And the lessons I've learned every time make me wish I didn't live so darned far away!

Really - regardless of whether one rides or not, it's a fantastic experience. Just putting that out there for the too brave, too chicken, unfit or otherwise unsure riders. Maybe this isn't the right timing for you, but all of the times I've gotten to meet the COTH hunting crew and work with Betsy have been tremendous.

</sap>

Default Do we need a different meet?

What I'm reading between the lines is that the joint meet isn't appropriate for a coth get together?

If Betsy would like to do a coth get-together over the holidays, would that be an option? We do all love seeing each other and encouraging the newbies.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    What I'm reading between the lines is that the joint meet isn't appropriate for a coth get together?
    No - what she's saying is that it may not be a great idea to bring a green horse. She does have hirelings as do other folks in the area - so if a person would like to hunt but doesn't want to bring a green horse... come out on a made one or one that has fairly hunted.

If the weather holds it should be a wonderful hunting day.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have emailed and spoken with Hunter'sRest, emailed with JSwan and just got an email from WateryGlen. Plus connecting on FB. So thank you, everyone. I am going to try and get over to Hunter's (not far away) and Watery's (near where my horse is), both for evaluation, and go from there, plus talking about going on a weekday hunt first. So I might not be at the Dec 29 thing--sounds actually like it's more for members, not guests anyway. Today went on a fun trail ride at Whitney State Forest, which is 6 minutes from my barn. Excited also about foot bassets! Tomorrow will be at Christmas in Middleburg. Beautiful weather! I am feeling very welcomed in Virginia horse country!

Rebecca, you're in excellent hands! I'm sure that a weekday hunt, one where you can ride with third field and enjoy the experience, will be an excellent start.
    Just beware, once you've gone out hunting, there's no turning back. Your life will never be the same again. You will wake up every single day and evaluate the sun, the air, the sky, and ask yourself what sort of a hunting day it would be

I know, I am ALREADY doing this!! I have gone once before, plus I have car followed and hung out a lot with people who go all the time. I do the air, sky thing now for trail rides. This is MUCH more fun than doing dressage tests. I have drunk the Kool-Aid...

2 members found this post helpful.

Default I can make this one - yay!!

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    There's a Joint Meet with ODH. Should be big fun.

Maybe dinner the night before? Black Bear switched to their winter menu. It is divine.

Who's in?
    Been wanting to since the first time and can finally come. Sounds like great fun - count me in!

oops - sounds like we need a different date.

or maybe not. My pony is up and at em. We hunted for 3 1/2 hours last week and he was ready for more, but I was getting a migrane, so we went in. Hope this continues to come together. What's the cap for the day?

I'll contact the WH and ODH masters and see if it is appropriate to have cappers at that joint meet.
    *My* group will be self limited b/c of shipping (I've already got a full rig, in fact) so the CotH group will be self limiting in that only people with their own made hunt horses, that are made hunters themselves, that have their own rigs, will be riding members of the field. I'd say cartoppers (who surely are invited to a tailgate breakfast after - there's no house there, just a field) would be UNlimited and fun (good place to follow.)
    And we can do some riding Fri/Sun for any visitors, maybe a mock hunt, and/or I can offer some newbies an opp. to hunt with ODH Thursday prior to this 29th hunting day.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I would not have invited friends to come hunting if I had not already gained permission from a Master. I am no neophyte.

Guests are always welcome.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

2 members found this post helpful.

I was too bummed at the thought of missing another get-together, so I splurged last night and redeemed miles for a ticket so I can come join in on the fun. Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks!

Wahoo-Wah! Cammie is coming from California!!! We LOVE our time with you! And the forsythia bush from Hell won't be in bloom, either, lol!

I did not in any way mean to cause a kerfluffle - Wateryglen is correct in that many hunts prefer no cappers on joint meets (no cappers are allowed, for instance, at any Virginia Hunt Week hunts, nor any Aiken hunt week hunts) but JSwan is correct, if she has permission for some cappers at that meet, then so be it.
    I did not/do not intend to cause problems - all are correct in that a biggg Saturday joint meet is not the right place to 'try out!' hunting, either horse or rider, especially given that we are not certain if Warrenton Hunt provides a third field (for newbies/greenies) or what.
    Perhaps someone who hunts with Warrenton can chime in regarding that.

Just wanted to update that I DID sell Chief, a week ago today. He will be hunting with Piedmont, and Loudoun West,so keep your eyes out for him.

I might join you for dinner, though, unless Belle is filthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Decisions, decisions.

It is the same day as the TWA jumper show outside Fredericksburg I am planning to take Belle to.

Partly, it will depend on whether Chief is sold by then. He went out with Peidmont on Thanksgiving, and someone is interested.

I would not subject either Belle or the field to taking Belle hunting. Standing still, out in the country, with other horses, is not in her vocabulary. Even cross country clinics or group schooling can be miserable with/for her.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I double-confirmed that guests/cappers are allowed to come to this joint meet - capping fees pay to Warrenton Hunt.

Thank you, HR. I am going to probably come for the dinner but am reserving judgment on the hunt part.

Congratulations, Janet! He is a lovely horse.

I'm not riding, but will come for the dinner and maybe car-following. I love seeing everyone, not to mention following the hunt.
    I do get frustrated that my SUV won't jump or do big ditches. It just is obstinate!

I guess I need a better trainer for it...