The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

I hate crowds, hate shopping, but did take advantage of some online deals. Mostly horsey, so perhaps I shouldn't be in the OT forum. I rarely venture in here, but hoped after the election it might be safe again!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I don't feel sorry for people who have to work (the only reason I'm not working today, like many, MANY restaurant people are, is our boss is too cheap to pay us overtime to show up). Be glad you've got a job, any job, these days. But I don't see the point in rushing out to buy stuff NOW.

Though I WILL be hitting TSC on Saturday. They have suet for 69 cents/block and 40-cent Friskies.
    My company not only doesn't pay overtime, but will fire you if you even squeak about having to work holidays. We have usually one full time person per store, everyone else is part time to avoid overtime or holiday pay. You will work Halloween doing floor set for holiday, thanksgiving midnight madness, Christmas eve, and lately now some malls are staying open on Easter which for Christians is one of the Holiest days of the year.

Yes, they show up to work, and are grateful to have a job. But if people refused to shop on Thursday and it wasn't worth it for us to be open, then we wouldn't be open and our people would be home with their families. I DO feel sorry for them, because I know first hand exactly what the consequences are for anyone who dares to complain about working on Thanksgiving - your hours the rest of the year will be cut or they will find you are "under performing" somehow and terminate you. These folks are going to work, they are going to work with a smile on their faces, and they are going to continue to show up for work even as stores open earlier and earlier on Thanksgiving precisely because they are grateful to have a job and they know how hard it can be to find something else. I know things will not roll back ever to how it was before, it will only swing more towards the earlier and earlier shopping trend. But I find it sad, and I stay home.

I wish the happiest of holidays to all those restaurant, convenience store, retail, emergency services and other folks who have no choice but to be at work on the days that we set aside as a society as "special."
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

4 members found this post helpful.

I got a thumbs down but I think I know who did it.. Oh well the poster is nothing but a road bump in the larger view of life. They are only doing it because I dared to asked them a question in a previous thread, apparently they have no life other than to stalk someone and hit the thumbs down.. oh well such is life..
    Friend of bar .ka

2 members found this post helpful.

I hate that the sales are infringing on Thanksgiving itself now, because I agree with others that forcing employees to give up their dinner to confront an angry mob who want to buy Furbys RIGHT THAT MINUTE is wrong. So I was judge-y about people who go to Black Friday sales and camp out in line and so on, because that's encouraging it.

But then I saw an article in the paper today about a dad who skipped Thanksgiving to wait in line at Toys 'R' Us to buy a PowerWheels for his daughter at $150 off. $150 extra to spend at Christmas is a lot of money for a lot of families. And I can't judge a guy who wants to give his daughter something she really wants that he couldn't afford otherwise.

So really, the people who make the decision to be open on Thursday are the CEOs happily eating and yachting on Thanksgiving who will be going nowhere near a store themselves, and the people who suffer are both the poor employees who have to go in that afternoon, *and* the poor or middle-class people who have to choose between spending time with their families on Thanksgiving or making Christmas easier financially for their families.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever, none, why Black Friday sales need to start hours earlier. It doesn't increase sales; the same people would still be lined up to buy the same amount of stuff whether it's at 6 pm Thursday or 6 am Friday. All it does is take away family time from the one holiday that's all about being happy with what you have, and make that family time and togetherness another luxury that only a few people can afford.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bumknees View Post
    I got a thumbs down but I think I know who did it.. Oh well the poster is nothing but a road bump in the larger view of life. They are only doing it because I dared to asked them a question in a previous thread, apparently they have no life other than to stalk someone and hit the thumbs down.. oh well such is life..
    You didn't get a thumbs-down in this thread. I did, as did everyone who disagreed with the OP, who seems as if she might be a bratty 12 year old.

3 members found this post helpful.

Are you kidding?
    Can we have a reality check please?
    My husband had a kidney transplant less than 2 weeks ago. My son was the donor. I have NO desire to venture out into the BF craziness. I want to spend time with my family. I have SO MUCH to be thankful for. I believe many folks priorities are most likely not where they should be - courtesy of the big marketing machine here in the US of A.
    I refuse to have my priorities dictated by stores, or low prices.
    The best 'gifts' I have ever gotten in my life did not come from any store.
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

11 members found this post helpful.

But then I saw an article in the paper today about a dad who skipped Thanksgiving to wait in line at Toys 'R' Us to buy a PowerWheels for his daughter at $150 off. $150 extra to spend at Christmas is a lot of money for a lot of families. And I can't judge a guy who wants to give his daughter something she really wants that he couldn't afford otherwise
    you're joking right? what kind of a dad thinks skipping out on quality holiday time in order to buy some stupid toy is a good parenting decision? guess what the kid will remember later, long after the toy is broken and forgotten: that dad wasn't there during the important times.

8 members found this post helpful.

I accidentally thumbs downed you while trying to scroll on my iPad. Sorry!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    you're joking right? what kind of a dad thinks skipping out on quality holiday time in order to buy some stupid toy is a good parenting decision? guess what the kid will remember later, long after the toy is broken and forgotten: that dad wasn't there during the important times.
    I agree in part--being there with your family is clearly much more important than getting whatever hot toy is at the top of a kid's wish list. However, I grew up pretty poor. Despite that, my parents always got us one "big" item on our lists (like when I asked for a bike), and I recognize that they must have given up a lot in order to afford those. Now I can look back and recognize the time I spent with my dad as the most important thing he gave me, but if he had given up hours of his holiday to stand in line to be able to get me something I really wanted, I would hugely appreciate that too. When you feel bad about not being able to give your kids everything they want, sometimes those seemingly stupid and meaningless toys and material things become really meaningful when you can make that happen.

We need to start a movement...only public thumbs up or down.

I give you a public thumbs UP!

Grow some cajones, put your name up there with the thumbing.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    We need to start a movement...only public thumbs up or down.

I give you a public thumbs UP!

Grow some cajones, put your name up there with the thumbing.
    You know what's funny? Is that a number of posters said the "thumbs up, thumbs down" thing was good because it would eliminate a lot of unnecessary posts. But if you look at the sheer number of posts ABOUT the "thumbs up, thumbs down" thing, I sort of think they're outnumbering what would have been regular agreeing/disagreeing posts!

1 members found this post helpful.

As a family, we never spent very much on Christmas. I've never really understood the craziness surrounding Christmas gift giving.

As a kid growing up, many times we got re-purposed or repainted gifts. My brother's bike was a girls bike with an additional bar welded on, his skates were figure skates with black shoe paint (he did get new hockey skates when they finally went on sale). We weren't poor, we had a nice house, decent cars, I was given a car when I needed one to get to an after school job, but we didn't practice the commercialization of Christmas (or birthdays) at my house. My father's favorite give was a big tub of Chex Snack mix.

To this day, my brother's favorite gift is my grandmother's recipe fruit cake.

I think we enjoyed (and still enjoy) the holidays more than many who spend money they don't have on things they don't need.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I went to the Equus Now! black friday event at their retail store. I was one of the first 50 in the door so I was able to score a 40% off one item coupon which I used for a new RAMBO Wug Mediumweight. Happy dance!

Eta: the sale didn't start until 10am, so no employees were harmed in the sale
    Last edited by Bedazzle; Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Totally agree. If he has not got the money... why does that kid need a toy expensive enough to be sold at $150 off? makes no sense at all.

My daughter works at a tack store but not in the store proper. The clerks had to sign a paper that they would work OT w/o OT pay but would get paid time off later. Hum... cheap or what. My daughter was lucky that she did work the OT hours and got paid OT, but on those days, her lunch hour was still paid at reg. pay. She would have been needed to work in the store, but are you kidding, the boss was not going to take a chance at having to pay her OT again ... or pay her wages which are higher than the clerks'. Instead they made another clerk work with a popped knee cap for 10 hr shifts... duh!! And it is a small business... no heart at all. Sometimes, small businesses are no better than the big ones. Of course, nobody dares say anything!

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post

Does your famous backward R make you take an extra long lunch or leave early later in the week if you go over 40 hours? That's how the big W deals with it's overtime, or you get written up.
    Haven't worked there since early 2011, and I was part time, so mostly they would freak out if I worked over 30 hours 6 weeks in a row, because that is when they would have to provide bennies. So, they knew they could get away with giving me full time hours at part time pay/benefits as long as they didn't do it six weeks in a row.

And there were also very few breaks, even though legally there was suppose to be, and a lunch time often didn't happen unless you demanded it. I started demanding it (and breaks) when I was pregnant. They tended to see this is a pain in the ass.

Oddly enough, the "R" wasn't for the older set, but the "babies". You'd think they'd be a bit more understanding of pregnant women. Turns out, not so much.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Okay, I'm out of touch, I'm sure, but what the heck is the backwards R?!

I was mentioned in the thread earlier by someone else, in that a man stood in line for a toy and skipped T-day dinner to get $150 off.

I'd rather not write it, since I signed something when I worked there that I wouldn't talk about them on social sites.

Here is the quote from upthread.

But then I saw an article in the paper today about a dad who skipped Thanksgiving to wait in line at Toys 'R' Us to buy a PowerWheels for his daughter at $150 off. $150 extra to spend at Christmas is a lot of money for a lot of families. And I can't judge a guy who wants to give his daughter something she really wants that he couldn't afford otherwise.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I really wasn't that impressed with the whole thing. My bf and I went at midnight and stayed out until around 2:00am. We went to Walmart, Target, the mall, K-Mart and Gamestop. Out of all those I got a $6.00 dvd that I've been wanting and a $15 video game. I didn't really think the deals were all that great, so I don't know why there were people camping out and acting psycho for a couple dollars off of an item.

A lot of the places in the mall didn't even really have a deal... the items were marked the same price, but if you bought "x" amount of the item then you would get a $5 gift card. Hmm... no thanks, I'll pass.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Okay, I'm out of touch, I'm sure, but what the heck is the backwards R?!
    prolly retarted.

why I would I waste my breath giving everyone thumbs down? Grow up and move on. My god this thumbs up and thumbs down is soooo childish.