The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I don't do any of the holiday frenzy shopping coming up over this weekend. I think it's stupid. I try to not even unlock my gate on the Friday after thanksgiving but unfortunately I have to go to the feed store and get more shavings. They will not be on sale.

1 members found this post helpful.

You couldn't pay me hard cash money to venture out on Friday. Have NEVER done it, & NEVER will. The only time we step out of the house on the day after Thanksgiving is to pick up Chinese takeout - our traditional day-after-Thanksgiving meal - lol!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I've never done BF before. I'm going for the first time this year! I don't have anything particular I want to buy, so I'm not going to be one of the crazies camping out and pushing people out of the way for stuff. I'm going to leisurely stroll and if I happen to find something that I like then sure, I'll buy it. But I'm really just going for the people watching and because I'd like to experience it at least once in my life.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I work in TV, so I tend to experience Black Friday via tape and live shot You would never find me out there even if I did not have to work. I hate crowds. The deals are usually not as great as they seem - the cheapest items are usually off-brand, and it has been proven that most items can be found on even deeper sale either online or before or after Black Friday. And the sheer amount of time spent standing in line to get the most desired items is, to me, not worth the discount.

Between Thanksgiving and New Years, I only shop during the week, during the day when others are at work. The crazies are out on the weekends. Don't do crazy well so I stay out of their way.

I don't feel sorry for people who have to work (the only reason I'm not working today, like many, MANY restaurant people are, is our boss is too cheap to pay us overtime to show up). Be glad you've got a job, any job, these days. But I don't see the point in rushing out to buy stuff NOW.

Though I WILL be hitting TSC on Saturday. They have suet for 69 cents/block and 40-cent Friskies.

Ah, but sometimes, Dancer, you don't get overtime and are still told you have to work or you will be fired. Been there. With a large enough company that they should be able to pay you extra. The word "R" backwards should be a pretty good hint. They don't pay overtime but do tell you that you will lose your job.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

The say you get better deals Labor Day Weekend any way

Definitely taking advantage of BF deals! But online only. I hate shopping, I can't imagine going out on BF! However, pretty much all online stores have great deals, from 10%-80% off! So I plan on ordering a ton of stuff, then returning whatever doesn't fit after the chaos dies down.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Ugh, no.

Although last year I DID drive past Target on my way home from work at 8:00 am and the parking lot was empty, so I strolled around the almost-empty store (that was filled with my fellow night-shift nurses) and picked up a really nice set of sheets for $15 (marked down from $60.)
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

I'm going, more for the experience and to meet a friend from out of town who wanted to go than for anything/specific deals. Going to downtown SF, avoiding big box stores like the plague!

It's annoying, though, I'm moving on January 1 and I've been trying to analyze whether or not I'll get better deals the day(s) after Christmas or now... I'm leaning towards just waiting, more for convenience than anything else, but I'm going to second-guess myself now.

I hate crowds, and I hate shopping for the sake of shopping, so I certainly won't be going to the stores tomorrow! It's supposed to be a nice day, so I'll go walk the dog, and ride my horse. I'll look online, tho.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

2 members found this post helpful.

mom and I are going at 11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Definitely!!

In fact, if you have an American Express card, you can register it via a special promotion Amex is doing. Register your card
    (https://enroll.amexnetwork.com/US/en/SBS2012/), & then spend $25 or more at a participating small business nationwide THIS SAT. (11/24) ONLY. Approximately 8 weeks later you'll get a $25 credit on your Amex statement.

Hubby & I plan to have dinner this Sat. at a local small participating restaurant. It's just a little BBQ place, so we'll pretty much end up getting our whole meal for free.
    Oh, & for those of you close to the Middleburg area, "The Tack Box" is a participating small business in this promotion. In fact, that's how I found out about it since I'm on their e-mail list & they sent the info a couple of days ago. But again, you have to register your Amex card with Amex to get the credit.

Gee, By all means, leave the family, go camp out or stand in lines for hours with a bunch of other yahoos in sweat pants and pj's.....to buy gifts for your FAMILY because they are so LOVED...Huh?

Why not just spend some quality TIME with them?...You know, at the Thanksgiving table, have a leisurely meal...then go bowling, take a walk, go to a movie, play games, make a memory for cryin' out loud...I can't think of ANYTHING I need to buy for me, or anyone else, to justify going to a BF "sale"...

A girl where I work does BF sales....charges everything, then pays it off over the next year, or longer. Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't all the interest you end up paying by using CC's cancel out all those great deals?? Duh-oh!

6 members found this post helpful.

A cousin of mine now lives in PA (from Ontario). A group of her Ontario friends go to her place for Thanksgiving and a 24 hour shopping marathon. I think they're nuts-I work in a high school so I have enough of that sort of thing. I go the weekend after for the leftovers. They have a great time-but it's not really about the shopping. They started an hour ago...........
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

I also got a thumbs down on my post...really...oh well, I had a great Thanksgiving with my family. My sweet potato bread pudding turned out great, now have some wonderful alone time with my husband, so life is good.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I also got a thumbs down on my post...really...oh well, I had a great Thanksgiving with my family. My sweet potato bread pudding turned out great, now have some wonderful alone time with my husband, so life is good.
    Checked my post on the first page and, yep, I got a thumbs down. All I said was that I was going to look at a pony. Oh well. I had a nice dinner with friends and we all looked at the sales ads and decided there was nothing any of us wanted. I wasn't very impressed with a lot of the sale prices anyway.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany01 View Post
    mom and I are going at 11pm.
    Have a good time! Be extra nice to the people working, especially if it's extra crazy out there.

I wave from my comfortable, warm couch; it's peaceful and quiet here and the cats and dogs are he biggest crowd around.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Ah, but sometimes, Dancer, you don't get overtime and are still told you have to work or you will be fired. Been there. With a large enough company that they should be able to pay you extra. The word "R" backwards should be a pretty good hint. They don't pay overtime but do tell you that you will lose your job.
    AHHH yes, I work for the famous yellow smiley face. The treatment upper management gives us, the constant threat of our job, doing the job of 2 or 3 employees and being forced to work through our breaks for minimum wage is just so awesome. But hey, the economy is terrible and we should be thankful to have jobs. That's a perfectly good excuse to allow ourselves to be treated like dirt. Who cares if we aren't treated like human beings, consumers still get their cheaply made laptops and phones that will most likely be broken down by this time next year. After all that's what America is all about.

Does your famous backward R make you take an extra long lunch or leave early later in the week if you go over 40 hours? That's how the big W deals with it's overtime, or you get written up.