The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Black Friday.

Who is all venturing out Black Friday? Mom and I may go 11PM Thursday Night or go at #AM Fridany Morning.

3 members found this post helpful.

Black Friday has gotten out of control and it makes me sick. It's all about greed. I feel horrible for people that have to work at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. It's ridiculous that some stores are opening Thursday night. Geez give people a freaking day off! People shouldn't be trampling each other to buy 3 TV's, a laptop and a iPad!

I boycott Black Friday, and will support small business Saturday instead.

28 members found this post helpful.

I hate black Friday...Can't stand the rudeness, the crowds etc. You could not pay me to go out on that day to any store. Black Thursday is revolting. Everyone deserves a day off to spend with their families.

13 members found this post helpful.

Nope I have to work. I can't stand shopping on Black Friday. Besides I get better deals as it gets closer to Christmas.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

5 members found this post helpful.

What everyone else has said. Black Friday has become an atrocity. And don't even get me started on "Black Thursday".

I'll be spending Thursday and Friday with friends and family - cooking good food and playing silly board games. I'm very sorry that many won't have that luxury, as they'll be opening the doors at the big box stores...

I just think it's gross that we've turned a holiday that was supposed to be about giving thanks into a day all about greed.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

7 members found this post helpful.

We've never gone to a Black Friday sale and never will to save a few $.

Small business Saturday all the way!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

19 members found this post helpful.

No Black Thursday/Friday for me. I do most of my shopping online, and you couldn't pay me to camp out or fight other people in the middle of the night for $5 off something you'll be able to get cheaper in a few weeks anyway.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

6 members found this post helpful.

Save your money and buy a well fitted saddle.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

31 members found this post helpful.

After the last 6 years in retail, the answer is NOT ME.

I know people aren't "forced" to work retail. But for a lot of folks, that is the job they can get if they have little to no skills/education or are without a resume to find something better. It's not as easy as "if you don't like it, find something else!"

There are a lot of things I could say on the topic, but it would read like a novel. I will just say I've missed out on enough holiday time with my family and made them pay for my ambition enough. I will be spending the holidays happily tucked up at home with my children, not out facing a crush of (often) angry, rude people all fighting to be the one who nails the best "deal." I will do my holiday shopping on a weekday around the 2nd week of December when the crowds are fairly light, and I won't regret not saving an extra 15% off that TV or Keurig.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Save your money and buy a well fitted saddle.
    mom told me to ingore you and it's nonya.

2 members found this post helpful.

Remember that when you start another saddle thread, mkay?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

26 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I won't go near Black Friday shopping though I might stop in after the morning rush to pick up some Blu-Ray movies if there are any I don't already have that are on sale for a few bucks.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I'm venturing out Friday. But it's to drive 120 miles to look at a pony.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

13 members found this post helpful.

I work retail as I'm trudging my way through school. We don't have crazy hours on Friday but we do have our "Holiday Bag Sale" which actually started today (we are off tomorrow). It wasn't *too* crazy but we're all dreading Friday!! FWIW we're a small business and we're actually doing pretty darn well for ourselves (even though a TSC just opened up).
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I don't do Black Friday...too much greed. And I certainly won't do Thursday, nor will I give any of my holiday business to any business that is open on Thursday, even after the fact.

And, IMO, anyone who enjoys a wonderful, relaxing Thanksgiving with their family and then goes shopping, supporting those who force their employees to leave their families or friends is a hypocrite.

It's a holiday, and everybody whose job isn't necessary (i.e. doctors, nurses, etc.) should be able to enjoy a day with their family without having to leave the table to go serve greedy, rude shoppers. And that goes for those late night openings too. Open at 6 AM, if you like, but stores opening or consumers shopping before that is just greedy and shows how little regard we have for fellow humans...as long as you get that TV you want, or that profit from it, who cares about the workers is the prevailing attitude and it makes me sick.

I have no proble with people who shop on Black Friday. As long as they shop at locally owned stores and buy products made in America. Let's keep our money at home and do something good for the economy. Yes, you might pay a little more, but that money will be reycled back into use so businesses will grow and people will be hired.

We, every one of us, have it within our power to help the economy grow. Let's send a message -- not just on Sat, but on evey shopping day between now and Christmas.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

3 members found this post helpful.

I have never done the Black Friday thing and likely never will. A lady that I worked with went to a Walmart for a Black Friday sale and was knocked over and trampled. Her neck was broken, not in a place that paralyzed her, but enough that she still has pain and limited motion even close to ten years later. Any time I think about going to a BF sale, I think about her and decide no sale is worth risking life and limb. Besides, I always go to ride my horse that morning :-)
    Last edited by ex-racer owner; Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: word order mixed up

2 members found this post helpful.

Cyber Monday is where it's at. No crowds, no rudeness, just me in my pjs with a laptop and a cuppa. By noon Christmas shopping is over; gift wrapped and shipped.

These people in tents outside Walmart right now are NUTZ
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

6 members found this post helpful.