The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Any Urban New Yorkers/Long Islanders Here?

My mom passed away this past Wed. night, & I'll be driving up to Long Island for her funeral Monday.

While I have a non-driving Manhattan-resident friend who is trying to get me info re: how bad things still are post-"Sandy" along my route, thought someone here might have info as well.

I'm an auto-pilot Lemming-type of driver - blindly following GPS directions - but know that my route takes me through Staten Island & the Rockaways (I was just up there right before "Sandy" hit). Am wondering if those routes are passable now.

Also, the gas situation. Friend (who doesn't drive) said the odd/even gas rationing thing is still in effect. Does anyone know what days are odd/even for this coming Mon./Tues./Wed.? The last thing I need is to get stuck in NY because I can't get gas.

Many thanks for any current info.

i'm so sorry for your loss.
    and i think i heard on the news last night that rationing is over this weekend. good luck on your journey.

So sorry Bacardi! Hugs to you!
    Re: gas. Fill up in NJ. They are off rationing and gas is cheaper in NJ.
    Re: the roads. I think everything major (bridges, tunnels) are open. That said listen to the radio, it always has the recent traffic conditions. 1010wins am (1010) and 880 am are the local news with traffic. 1010 news has their traffic report every 10 minutes on the 11s (8:11,8:21, 8:31 etc) and channel 880 has it " on the eights" (9:08, 9:18 etc). You can pick these stations up even in PA, wide transmission area.
    And if you can, bring a map. GPS never gives a wide enough area for you to make intelligent big picture decisions.
    Do not take the bridges leading into staten island (Goethals) it costs $$ to cross out of SI to get to long island ($16 or $18).
    Use ezpass if you have it, it's a major time saver on the lines.

Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks!

I know about the toll money since I went through that last month when I visited mom. Don't mind the cost - just don't want to get stuck in an impassable situation. I'm not a terribly savvy traveler, & I'll be flying this one solo.