The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just finished a new book about Eclipse. It won 4 sports book of the year awards and I don't know why. It made the interesting characters in his life kind of boring and didn't have nearly enough horses in it. Disappointing doesn't even cover my reaction.
    I'm reading a book about FC Barcelona by Graham Hunter,The Making of the Greatest Team in the World. It's very good!
    I'm not sure what's next, I have a couple of novels I'm reading right now as well. I read too much
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Just finished Nelson Mandella's autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom.

Before that, Gentry's J. Edgar Hoover, A Man and His Secrets

Before that, Carol Bowman's Children's Past Lives

Earlier, Frank Langella's Dropped Names
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I loveeeee Non-Fiction, its mostly what I read especially now I'm done with University and would rather read books that make my brain work a bit more than the murder mysteries and romance novels I also love!

Non fiction I've read this year (Yes there is a theme here!):
    Shake Hands with the Devil: The failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Romeo Dallaire. Everyone should read this book & then watch the movie Hotel Rwanda.
    The Shadow of the Sun: My African Life by Ryszard Kapuscinski
    Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness & Don't lets go to the dogs tonight by Alexandra Fuller
    A Day of Honey by Anna Ciezaldo
    When a Crocodile Eats the Sun by Peter Godwin

I would highly recommend all of them but most especially Shake hands with the Devil and A Day of Honey.

Another one I loved is Shadow Divers, which is a story of 2 divers discovering a German U Boat off the shore of Maryland. It delves into the history of the U-Boat as well as how they actually discovered it & dived into dangerously deep waters to prove its existence.

Sonesta, Nelson Mandelas biography is definitely on my list!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I read Mrs. Lincoln as well - for the same reason.
    She was an interesting lady.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Finnnnnally finished The Greater Journey - on unabridged audio tape. BIG mistake. So much of the book covers art and artists in the 19th C, and no illustrations w/ the audio. Realized later when looking at the book in a bookstore, it included illustrations and would have been more suitable to read the book. 17 hours long - listened in the car, stopped and started it dozens of times. Very dry to hear on CD. Lots of history of Paris as well, and well, although I wouldn't care for the illustrations - plenty of bloody battles as well...

Now reading Mrs Lincoln. Picked it up when visiting the Mary Todd Lincoln House in Lexington last year, and trying to cram it in before going to see the movie Lincoln. Really enjoying it.

This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War by Drew Gilpin Faust. Very interestingpart of the civil war not often actually focused on.

Still finishing Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. The Lincoln movie is somewhat based on this book. (Can't wait to see the movie!)
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

I recently finished The New Geography of Jobs by Enrico Moretti. It's a very interesting investigation about why some metro areas have attracted high tech work and others haven't, and how that changes the local economy for all workers there.

One interesting fact that he explores is that patents are more likely to cite other patents developed within 50 miles than they are to cite patents within the same company but outside that radius, that there's a tremendous intellectual multiplier effect that companies get by being near other companies using similar technologies.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    I'm not sure what's next, I have a couple of novels I'm reading right now as well. I read too much
    No such thing!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War by Drew Gilpin Faust. Very interestingpart of the civil war not often actually focused on.
    I found This Republic of Suffering a really fascinating read. I'll definitely second this recommendation.

I just finished Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire, which I picked up while visiting Arches earlier in the fall. It felt like it needed to be read slowly, but was just wonderful.

Once I finish the novel I'm working through now, I believe my next move may be to steal the copy of Atlantic by Simon Winchester that I bought the SO for Christmas last year. It sounded great from what he was telling me, and I do enjoy Winchester's writing.

I recently finished "Mao's Last Dancer" by Li Cunxin, an autobiography of a ballet dancer in China. Very interesting and nicely written.

Wild, by Cheryl Strayed, is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I also liked Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Wallis. Diving into Darkness, by Phillip Finch, I couldn't put down.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Two chapters into "The Swerve: how the world became Modern"
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Working on "Brandwashed" by Martin Lindstrom. Very interesting.

I just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand of Seabiscuit fame. I LOVED both books. I bet Unbroken is made into a movie soon. What a story!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Currently reading "Life," Keith Richard's autobiography. I am loving it (in some ways I feel like I'm reading something out of Spinal Tap, but with more drugs and guns), and I am currently obsessed with the Rolling Stones music because of it!