The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If a horse already has a USEF horse ID, does it need a USDF one?

If a horse already has a USEF horse ID, do I need to get it a USDF one or does it just use the USEF one?

Thanks for any help!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

If you want to show at a USDF recognnized show, you will need both, or have to pay a non-member fee for one or the other. If the class is what is called an "opportunity class," some of these requirements are waived. When we get a horse, if we plan to show it at all, we just pay the money and get lifetime memberships. For a horse USDF is $85 and USEF is $200. In a few years, it totally pays for itself.

Okeydokeys, thanks. My horse already has his USEF and USHJA numbers, USDF is the one thing he does not have. I appreciate the help!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

definitely spring for the lifetime USDF membership.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Can someone explain to me why the USEF number isn't enough?

My horse is life registered with USEF but when I called about the USDF stuff, I was told he could not use that number, and would need a new USDF reg as well for showing.

If it's just a revenue generating thing, I guess the money has to come from somewhere but geez... I thought the USEF was the umbrella organization over all the disciplines. When I was showing hunters, *I* needed a USHJA membership, but my horse was fine with his USEF number.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Hunters have to pay now too- some horses were grandfathered in by virtue of having been life-recorded with the USEF before the USHJA started charging:
    "To compete at a USEF-licensed hunter, jumper or hunter/jumper competition, every horse must be registered with the USHJA for a one-time fee of $30. "

USDF has two options: a $20 HID and a $95 lifetime number. Both include tracking of scores and eligibility for rider awards. The lifetime number makes the horse eligible for regional championships and year-end awards.

Here's a link to the FAQ page on USDF horse registration. It also has a link to the list of horses that don't have to be registered.

http://www.usdf.org/join/HRFees.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post

My horse is life registered with USEF but when I called about the USDF stuff, I was told he could not use that number, and would need a new USDF reg as well for showing.

If it's just a revenue generating thing, I guess the money has to come from somewhere but geez... I thought the USEF was the umbrella organization over all the disciplines. When I was showing hunters, *I* needed a USHJA membership, but my horse was fine with his USEF number.
    My understanding is that USDF perceives it as a revenue generator.

FWIW, there was some move afoot some years back to have USEF accept the USDF number, but USDF would not accept the USEF number (and apparently for the above reason).

Also, folks requesting USDF numbers are hopefully exposed during the process to the USDF All-Breeds program, which is another revenue generator for USDF.

USEF and USDF are different numbers. For recognized dressage shows you will need to supply both, or pay a one time fee for the one you don't have 9and that adds up). One thing to note: Your membership (not your horse's) at either of these gets you 5 per cent off when you shop at Smart Pak. This can pay for itself in a year. Easily.

USDF lifetime membership is cheap ($85 now, used to be $65!) but it is worth getting it right away. if you sell the horse, people realize you took him seriously. And his scores are tracked that way.

That is "lifetime membership" for the horse, I meant. For a person, it is NOT cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Iberiansyes View Post
    That is "lifetime membership" for the horse, I meant. For a person, it is NOT cheap.
    yes. You need both for the horse to compete in recognized dressage. And the lifetime membership for the horse looks nice if you go to sell them in the future, as it transfers right with the horse so the buyer doesn't have to register him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    FWIW, there was some move afoot some years back to have USEF accept the USDF number, but USDF would not accept the USEF number.
    This is still true. If you have a USDF number for your horse (HID or Lifetime), USEF will assign a free HID number for your horse.

So if you only want to pay for one number, have it be the USDF number. (The cheapest is the $25 HID number.) This will get you into the show ring, but will not get you into regional qualifiers or championships.

For regional qualifiers and championships, you must have a full Lifetime USDF number ($95) and an Annual ($75) or Lifetime ($200) USEF number. HIDs from either organization won't cut it for these classes.

As a jumper and dressage rider, I get really frustrated with this system. I ride and train many young horses and they compete in both disciplines in the same year at rated/recognized shows and I feel sometimes like I have numbers coming out my a**. I don't know why we can't just have one main organization the (the USEF) and "divisions" of the USEF for each discipline. Having another additional separate governing body for dressage makes no sense to me.

I have a USEF number for myself, a USDF number for myself and an ODS number (Oregon Dressage Society number, which I am also required to have), plus a USEF, USDF, and USHJA number for each horse I ride. Dumb. Needless to say, doing entries is a painful process!

Why couldn't I just have one number for me and one for each horse?
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I feel sometimes like I have numbers coming out my a** ..... I have a USEF number for myself, a USDF number for myself and an ODS number (Oregon Dressage Society number, which I am also required to have), plus a USEF, USDF, and USHJA number for each horse I ride. Dumb. Needless to say, doing entries is a painful process!
    Wouldn't it be SO much simpler to do it like the FN does? You register your horse with FN and they send a bunch of bar-coded labels with your horse's info on them. You peel them off and put them on your entry forms. Voila - there is all your info. Nothing is "forgotten" or "unknown", nor is there a problem with transposed letters, or typos because someone couldn't read your writing.

Yeah, we Americans like to consider ourselves the technological leaders of the world, but our national governing bodies need to get on the same page with each other AND come into the 21st century!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post

USHJA now requires a number, my first round of horses were grandfathered in with their USEF lifetime number, but any new ones will require payment. Unless they took that back out.

To be honest, I would show in more disciplines, more often, except for all the. Membership requirements of USEA, USHJA but I'm a lifetime member in USDF so I tend to stick to local or schooling shows in the other disciplines.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    This is still true. If you have a USDF number for your horse (HID or Lifetime), USEF will assign a free HID number for your horse.
    Last time I checked, USEF will give a free HID to ANY horse, regardless of which other numbers it does or does not have.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

My biggest petpeeve... USDF has got the biggest money generating scam going... USDF Participating Members pay a membership fee of $75, fine we do that! If that person is than also a member of a local GMO, USDF receives an additional fee of $20 from the GMO. No explanation as to why they should receive this additional fee, there are no additional benefits. If you would like to opt out of a USDF Group Membership via the GMO (for example you are an eventer only), you may not opt out! I like to donate/contribute, but I want to choose where to contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Horseymama View Post
    I have a USEF number for myself, a USDF number for myself and an ODS number (Oregon Dressage Society number, which I am also required to have), plus a USEF, USDF, and USHJA number for each horse I ride. Dumb. Needless to say, doing entries is a painful process!

Why couldn't I just have one number for me and one for each horse?
    THIS. Plus dressage GMO, state & local H/J associations, and breed organization. ALL of whom have their hands out EVERY time the horse is leased. It gets redonkulous after a while.

Anyway, my horse now has a USDF horse ID along with his other 3. Thanks for the help everyone!

I understand the frustration. I just went through registering horse with every bloody organization under the sun, just to compete in one show. GVDS, RMDS, USDF, USEF, all with registrations for both horse and rider. Oh, and owner who didn't want to be named so I became the owner for $1. And trainer who wasn't a member so I had to pay non-member fees for trainer. I have thought about calculating what that all cost per second of showing but haven't had the heart to yet. The good thing is, horse's registrations are good for life.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhew View Post
    And trainer who wasn't a member so I had to pay non-member fees for trainer.
    Is there some reason why you can't/won't sign as trainer?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Is there some reason why you can't/won't sign as trainer?
    Signing yourself as the trainer has nothing to do with your AA status...it is about responsibility.