The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clipping dirty horse?

I got all geared up to go clip the mare this morning, I had time while the baby took her AM nap, extra blades, fully charged batteries and arrived to find her coated in mud.

I ended up having to leave, but I want to go back tonight. The problem is, it's in the 20-30's. Way too cold to bathe her.

She looks a bit like a mammoth, and if I want to not spend 12 years waiting for her to dry after a ride, she needs at least a trace.

I've always been able to bathe first, but this whole human baby thing is making it hard to get out at ideal times.

Suggestions? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Brush her as well as you can, use a hot, damp towel to draw off as much dirt as possible, than use liberal amounts of show sheen. That's what I did last year and it worked just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Vacuum!

Give her a good brushing and curry, and then vacuum – it will get that dust and grit out of the coat – because that stuff will make your blades dull quick! I am assuming you do not have a horse vacuum, but even the hose attachment from your house vacuum should work. ]

If you do the hot towel method, make sure she is TOTALLY completely dry before trying to clip – damp hair is the worst to clip.

And yes, able amounts of show sheen (on a clean or dirty horse) will really help the clippers glide through the hair.

There are also dry shampoo products available for horses

Another advocate for show sheen!!! groom as best you can and vacuum if you have one. Make sure you brush off the clippers regularly as the dirt will make them hot and dull much faster so keep them clean and lubed up!!

You are never going to get as good a result on a dirty horse as you are with a clean one, but often the weather and horses conspire against us! Get her as clean as you POSSIBLY can, and if you're wise you will have LOTS of blade lube and an extra set or two of sharp blades on hand. I make sure, if I'm clipping an even partially dirty horse, to have at LEAST 2 sets of blades and plan on using all of them if I have to do the whole horse. Clipping my Shetland is even more challenging because getting her truly clean is really difficult when her winter fur comes in--she's SO woolly and waterproof that the hair never really dries! So I use sheep blades to "shear" the wool and then the remaining coat can be washed and clipped with normal blades.
    Click here before you buy.

Brush her and then spray show sheen! I do that for my mare before I clip her anyways and she's never dirty.

Clipping dirty SUCKS. I would at least try to shampoo and towel ringe the topline winters to bum and all over the top of the bum. Do the best you can with the rest. Douse, just DOUSE, in Showsheen... and be prepared to dull the blades and look trackier than if you had a clean horse to start.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Can you wait until its above 20-30 to clip? Giving time to adjust. I also think morning time would be better so she has the day to adjust to the cold, even if blanketed

I just did a bib clip today and wasn't able to bathe my horse. I used the vetrolin green spot remover/no rinse shampoo and it worked out fine.

I have had to make it a multi day task at times because I had time to clean and to clip, but NOT to do both the same day.

I would bathe one day and Show Sheen and then cover in a fly sheet or some other item that would keep the most of the dirt at bay without overheating my horse.

Day 2 would be the day I groomed and re applied Show Sheen and clipped.

Best of luck.

2 members found this post helpful.