The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can we have a 'travel rug' discussion?

I'll be keeping at least one rideable horse at home this winter, which means 2+ trailer rides a week, ~45min each way. Horse(s) will have a full trace-clip (hairy legs only). I'm trying to decide the best combo to prevent chills, given that it's routinely in the 20's, and my primary horse is a TB who gets cold very easily. My winter travel routine used to involve a ~5min trailer ride, used a heavy high-neck t/o & all was well. Now I worry about overheating for longer trips, but then again, how warm does a 2-h get (with just one horse in it)?

For reference, I trailered said horse, unclipped & fuzzy with an Eskadron cooler under a t/o sheet (no neck) this past weekend (4 trips) when it was ~45-50 & it was the perfect combo.

Probably over-thinking this, but I figure what better time to address the 'travel rug' discussion, than a big sale week

Honestly, I think it's an individual horse issue. Any way you could try what you think is best, and then stop 20mins in to evaluate? My horse has a wide trace clip, and I shipped him about an hour last week in 45degree weather in my 2+1 with the side-ramp door open and a light cotton knit sheet on. He was pretty warm on arrival. I'll prob leave him naked next time, but he's a horse that tends to be warm. I also shipped 3 horses about 15mins in 50 degree weather this week, my guy naked, the other 2 had polar fleece sheets on. All 3 horses were fine on arrival. When in doubt, maximize airflow and use whatever blankets you need to keep the horse comfortable but not sweaty.

I shipped my horse(TB mare) about 45 min this past weekend. Going she had on her turnout sheet and was in the two horse with my friend's "full figured" Fresian cross. Coming back I had put her fleece cooler on. The temps were in the mid 40's by the time we were heading back to the barn after riding for several hours in a parade. My mare is not clipped, but doesn't grow a particularly thick coat and she was not too hot or too cold with either of the above options.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    For reference, I trailered said horse, unclipped & fuzzy with an Eskadron cooler under a t/o sheet (no neck) this past weekend (4 trips) when it was ~45-50 & it was the perfect combo.
    Given this information, I think a heavyweight turnout sounds perfect considering that it gets in the 20's regularly. He sounds super sensitive to the cold, poor guy!

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    Given this information, I think a heavyweight turnout sounds perfect considering that it gets in the 20's regularly. He sounds super sensitive to the cold, poor guy!
    I'm way up here in Ontario (Canada) and our weather probably isn't comparable but I always rely on an Irish knit cooler (washed to become soft) with 2 surcingles under whatever else to ship. Start with that and it will wick any sweat issues and also act like long underwear when cold. Clipped horses love it.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I am also up here in The Great White North and ship my guy with a cotton fly scrim under a wool dress sheet and that seems to give wicking and warmth with the two layers.