The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Tractor size ? Spin-off ...

A previous thread spoke about tractor size ...

Have ever you said : "I wish I had bought a smaller tractor"

If yes, How many acres do you work, and What about the tractor was too big?

I've often thought I wish I had a lighter tractor so I could mow the lawn sooner after rain without denting the flat bits and leaving skid marks on the hills. Does that count?

Of course, what I really want is a bigish tractor for fields, a skid steer for confined spaces like stacking round bales in the barn and a zero turn for the lawn. Instead I have a 30hp that has to try to be all of the above.

My DH would tell me to bite my tongue, never too big
    We have a 34 HP and garden tractor for yard and around barn mowing and riding mower that I use to tow my cart around. There are plenty of times I could see anything larger than our 34 HP would be too big - our barn aisle is not overly generous (wish it was)
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

One of the wonderful things about today's tractor marketplace is that there are quite a few VERY capable machines that can be physically smaller, yet do the work of larger tractors from years past.

While I only have a small property, I'm still amazed at the work my sub-compact Kubota can do. The only times I've thought "it would be nice to have something bigger" was when dealing with some larger stumps and it was more about reducing time spent, rather than a Tim The Toolman need. Now, my tractor wouldn't be appropriate for someone farming or needing to deal with large amounts of weight or large implements. But there are machines a few steps up that can easily do those things without getting into "monster" size farm vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    I've often thought I wish I had a lighter tractor so I could mow the lawn sooner after rain without denting the flat bits and leaving skid marks on the hills. Does that count?

Of course, what I really want is a bigish tractor for fields, a skid steer for confined spaces like stacking round bales in the barn and a zero turn for the lawn. Instead I have a 30hp that has to try to be all of the above.
    Try different tires. Industrial tires have more bite than turf tires (which have no "bite") but less bite and hence do less damage in situations like yours than usual ag tires. Industrial tires look a lot like ag tires but when you compare them side by side you can tell that they are less aggressive. Might solve your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    Try different tires.
    I already have R4 industrial tires. What I really need is fewer hills

I remember a Hagar the Horrible cartoon where Hagar was on the docs couch for being the only Viking in history who traded in for a smaller boat....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

no.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

1 members found this post helpful.

A lot of people tried to tell us our tractor (ford 3930 - 50hp) was too large for our property when we bought, but we have not found that to be the case.

Many evenings we've come in the house after farm work and said "Thank goodness we bought that tractor."

We do get our neighbor to use his compact Kubota to clean out the chicken run; and I do know of farm owners who bought a huge farm tractor that couldn't turn the corners in their Belmont style barn so the ended carrying muck tubs when they mucked stalls. But I don't really think those are cases of buying something too big, it's a case of one size doesn't fit all. The farm owners didn't trade in the big monster tractor, they bought a old Ford 8N just to pull the manure spreader. If our neighbor couldn't help us with the chicken run, we'd probably look for a used Bobcat rather than trade down in tractor size.

It's kinda like too much money, too much love or too much chocolate - no such thing as too much tractor.

We got it just right; 3.5 acres and John Deere 2320 with FEL, box blade, landscape rake and a harrow on a frame. I can get the tractor in and out of the smaller spaces with no problem and it's big enough to remove snow in the winter, dig trenches and lift stuff. Very happy.