The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Model Freaks Out While Riding Horse"

This clip showed up on Xfinity's site today from that Next Top Model show. I spent no time feeling sorry for the models, but that poor horse!

Do all horses involved in beach riding go through this?

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/A...d=FCST_hero_tv

The first thing I thought was "couldn't they use a horse that is more responsive to the bridle?" That thing was gaping its mouth open evading the bit, it looked like it was going to completely ignore her.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Ugh, the more I watched the more I felt bad for the horse....
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I think a few lessons would have helped those girls. And the first appears to be missing a tooth.

^^^ I know!

I was thinking why did they have Cuz Bessy in this competition..

The horse was fed up. I am surprised they kept trying to use the same one over and over. I also think a basic lesson then throwing them in the water would have helped. Who know how many "real" takes this took.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I don't know how long the whole thing took, but you have to give the one girl some credit for going from "waaah I'm scared get me off", to saying her lines and focussing on the job. She even let go a rein and gestured with an arm, LOL!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Saw it, too. That's SOP for models. I'm so tired of seeing people painfully out of place on horseback submitted by the High Fashion Industry.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I just get the message that this cannot be viewed by people outside of the US........what happens?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I don't think that horse was really suited for that job (although there is a good chance the producers wanted a horse like that to make it harder on the models).

While the girls weren't really doing that horse any favors, you can hardly blame them for being clueless and scared in that situation.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    And the first appears to be missing a tooth.
    I do believe she has a gap between her upper front teeth. Which from watching exactly one episode of that show in the past I learned is considered sexy by those modeling people.

Another vote, poor horse. Certainly not the right horse for that job.

If they would just let go of his poor mouth. With the way they were hanging on his face, I'm not surprised he wasn't the most willing.

I agree, totally the wrong pick.

3 members found this post helpful.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I do believe she has a gap between her upper front teeth. Which from watching exactly one episode of that show in the past I learned is considered sexy by those modeling people.
    Wait, What? You mean I could have been a model if only I hadn't worn braces to fix the gap in my two front teeth?

Another vote, poor horse. Certainly not the right horse for that job.
    Add me to the count.
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    I don't think that horse was really suited for that job (although there is a good chance the producers wanted a horse like that to make it harder on the models).

While the girls weren't really doing that horse any favors, you can hardly blame them for being clueless and scared in that situation.
    I agree... I watched the episode and the horse(s) they used were all dancing and head tossing even while the handler still had ahold of them.

Frankly, I give her props for staying ON and not death-gripping - trotting bareback in a bathing suit, having no riding education whatsoever, and still trying to look good and say lines. How many actual "riders" have fallen off while trying to trot bareback, fully dressed in riding gear, in an arena, on a well-behaved horse, no cameras or lines in sight?

I was more unimpressed by the girl who supposedly has horses at home and is in love with them (the one that ends up winning the whole show).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, I don't think that horse was the best fit for the job, and I agree that a couple of confidence building lesson sessions before the shoot would have helped the models, too. I suppose it doesn't make for as dramatic viewing to be concerned with the safety and welfare of the models and horse though.

I want to watch but I'm not in the US

eclipse and bearrock, this is just a small clip but should give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owd77QW6BE8
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Which is really fascinating, because some seasons back, the winner, a beautiful Black girl named Danielle, had quite a gap and ego-maniac Tyra Banks kept pressing her to have it "fixed." She resisted, saying it was "her" and could be her "branding" or "trademark" and was "cute" and/or "sexy," but back then Tyra kept the pressure on. Eventually, they narrowed the gap, but she go to keep it. The show has become just a vehicle of Tyra's ego - with her current boy toy as one of the judges!!! Qualifications? Who knows?? But, he's Trya's cutie, so.....

poor horse

I watched it when it aired. Closet top model watcher lol. The girl has a gap not missing a tooth lol and the horse was just not appropriate for the job. Really they needed a dead broke horse that just sat there or would walk with flipping it's head all over the place. I didn't see the girls do much wrong. They were not ranking on them are asking for much just walk and stop when i pull back. That horse was IMO not trained for what they had it doing. Probably a trail horse they use on beach rides that follows other horses and by himself not such a good fellow
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Well, duh, I'd freak out too if I didn't know the first thing about horses and you put me up on one practically nekked (no protective gear AT ALL) and expected me to manage the horse AND give a speech at the same time!

What a ridiculous idea!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden