The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WIDE Horse Sport Boots

Does anyone know of a brand of horse boots that are WIDE without being too tall? I have a big boned, short cannon bone horse - he is 16 hands, tons of bone, and he generally takes a medium in DSB or similar brands - except they just aren't WIDE enough - and I swear, every year, they get narrower. We use to be able to use DSB, but the last pair I bought was almost an inch narrower then the old ones!

I'd prefer something with a fleece lining (breathes better then neoprene). And nothing like SMB boots - they get way too hot on the horse's leg.

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I don't have an answer for you but I can sympathize as I have been searching for the same thing. I bought some on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/271032372725...84.m1439.l2649) and they are lovely - but I ordered the medium (for height) and although they are OK in front, they aren't wide enough to fit my guy comfortably behind. I ordered the larges and am hoping for the best but I suspect they will be too tall... I will report back once they arrive.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I don't have an answer for you but I can sympathize as I have been searching for the same thing. I bought some on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/271032372725...84.m1439.l2649) and they are lovely - but I ordered the medium (for height) and although they are OK in front, they aren't wide enough to fit my guy comfortably behind. I ordered the larges and am hoping for the best but I suspect they will be too tall... I will report back once they arrive.
    Really? Someone thought this was a bad post?!?!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Really? Someone thought this was a bad post?!?!
    OMG, I'm convinced people are just randomly thumb upping and downing

I did try a pair of the HKMs - she was at a show I was at, and let me try them on my guy -they are not wide enough - the fleece is quite thick, which makes them fit even narrower. Nice boots for the $$$ though - just didn't fit my guy...

1 members found this post helpful.

I've got the same problem, 16.2-1/2H warmblood that takes larges of the DSB's in height, but I BARELY can get them fastened around his legs. I wouldn't say he's a big-boned guy either. Yes, he has a good amount of bone, but what I would consider about normal for a WB. I guess these boots are all made with TB's in mind?? Or ultra modern refined WB's?

I ended up opting for the quick fasten polo-wraps instead of actual boots, but they don't provide as much protection and keep slipping down.

I'm anxious to hear what people find!

can you measure and give us an idea how wide and tall you need?

I know you said you didn't want neoprene, but Woof Boots come in Medium Extra-Wide.

i can sympathize, have the same problems with DSB boots. I switched over to Woof boots.
    Ride a draft - it will make your butt look smaller !!!

Measurements are tricky with the fleece, because a boot with really thick fleece (like HKM or Dover) will measure wider, but the fleece takes up a lot of room. With a thinner fleece (like the Euro Pro or DSB), he needs about a 11 to 11.5 wide. About 10" tall (classic medium height).

I have considered the Woof Medium XWide boots - if I can't find fleece, I'll buy another pair of those...

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad someone else has this problem! One of my guys is an old style Warmblood, about 16.1 and has tree trunk legs with short cannon bones. I'd love to find something to fit him well that is NOT neoprene.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Does anyone know if any companies will make CUSTOM boots? It shouldn't be this hard - there are many of us out there riding old style WBs, Friesians, and other horses with bone!

I have TWO of these guys (one is taller, and takes a large, but they barely fit around his legs).

Try the NEW brushing/fleece boots:
    http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/..._f_horses.html

I have the cross country boots with the tendons guards and they are fabulous! They also make a dressage sport version in a wide version which should work for you.

Oh, just found the manufacturers site here:
    http://www.newequinewear.co.uk/shop-...dressage-boots

Check out Heidi boots. They tend to fit the short cannon bones that have a large circumferance.

Nope, to narrow for my guy. There is about a 1" gap on his hind legs, a little less on the front legs.

I do love those boots though and have several pairs for my other horses.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I second the NEW boots. They have a M/W size for the really wide ones. My 15.3hh 9"+ cannon boy barely fits in the regular M size and the height is great for short cannons. VERY lightweight too!

My friesian who is big boned but only 16h wears the thinline sport boots in size large. They breathe well. Ive had them 5 years and use them daily they look like new, a few small nicks where I he caught a hind one backing out the trailer but apart from that still look like the day I got them. Ive ridden through water and they never slipped or rubbed. I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Does anyone know if any companies will make CUSTOM boots? It shouldn't be this hard - there are many of us out there riding old style WBs, Friesians, and other horses with bone!

I have TWO of these guys (one is taller, and takes a large, but they barely fit around his legs).
    People ON Horse make the BEST boots ever! and they use real fleece - not fake and come in almost any color under the rainbow!

http://www.peopleonhorses.com/Boots.htm

Wow, mbm, those are really nice boots. Thanks for the link .

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    People ON Horse make the BEST boots ever! and they use real fleece - not fake and come in almost any color under the rainbow!

http://www.peopleonhorses.com/Boots.htm
    OMG, I didn't know they made boots! That may be the answer! How do they wash up? That may be my "Black Friday" purchase! I'll call and make sure they are wide enough...

CARE INSTRUCTIONS

Machine wash in cold water using a mild detergent on delicate setting. Line dry. Do not place boots in dryer. Do not use Woolite®.