The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me about Kannan and Carracci (please)

Hello all,
    Looking at possibly breeding my mare this coming spring. I know nothing of breeding, so please bear with me.

I keep coming back to Kannan and Carracci, and I realize they are fairly different horses.

I'd be looking to add/improve upon the following things:
    Length of leg, more of an uphill build, movement (especially freedom of the shoulder)

She is elite eligible Oldenburg, but I'm open to any and all registries. Would want to keep the foal, but also recognize the importance of breeding a marketable foal as you never quite know.

Thoughts?

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/passion30

Photos:
    http://tinyurl.com/ah3code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CiBM...WB0&playnext=1
    Last edited by Burgie; Nov. 21, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

I saw 2 stallions named carracci and several others with alernative spellings. which carracci are you interested in?

Kannan is ranked #2 in the world jumping sires index for 2012. I'm pretty sure he made the top 10 in the eventing sires world index again for 2012. he also competed himself 1.60, so he's a pretty well known horse.

This Carracci:

http://www.stallionsnow.com/stallion-ad-648867

I saw the rankings on Kannan and have heard great things about him. Just wondering if he (or either stallion) would be a good cross on this mare.

I have 2 mares in foal to Carracci. In my case I put him to a Carolus I mare and a Cardento mare. I was looking to add stronger coupling to both mares. He has blood that works very well with both and his temperament and rideability is stellar. The Cardento mare is a bit hot, as is her dam. Both mares have good length of leg.

These mares I'd not of thought of putting to Kannan, although I do admire this stallion quite a bit. They are just not the right type.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Thanks for the info!

Rideability and temperament is important to me, which is a factor in why I like these two. She has plenty of jump, so I'm not really looking to enhance that aspect.

I can't seem to find much info on what type of mare is best crossed with Kannan.

I am a big fan of Kannan.
    Kannan is well known for throwing rideability and temperament and any that I have come across match the reputation (well except for one!).
    Big horses (except for one!) but IMO he needs a blood mare.
    He will add height, power, scope and attitude (a good one).
    As mentioned he is also dual purpose.
    Again only based on personal experience the technique is not entirely text book and a little open in front. However with scope and conscience the fences stay up.

Monica rode several Kannans in Europe when she was riding with Tim Stockdale. While none were beauty contest winners, they were, without exception, very rideable. A friend did flag some OCD issues to us, although we did not verify this independently.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Carracci lives at our farm. Kinsella and I have been assisting the Kelly's in making him more readily available to North American breeders. While the Kelly's have been breeding Carracci to their own mares, 2013 marks the first year he will have foals from outside mares.

I've dug into his history quite a bit. While he was owned by Gestut Dobel, Carracci was primarily focused on competition but did breed about a dozen offspring. He's done quite a lot with that handful. Here's a recent video of daughter China Blue 4: http://tinyurl.com/bheb2zk

Out of this dozen, he's also produced a few young horse class winners and most recently, his grandson by Cristo just won the 6 year old class in Monaco, qualifying for the Bundeschampionat.

Carracci produces good type, strong coupling, excellent length of leg, freedom of the shoulder, tremendous power from behind, and his incredibly kind, generous disposition.

He was recently evaluated by the sBs judges from Belgium and even going on 19 with all the wear and tear of his competition life, he obtained the highest scores of A-A.

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, BWC2.
    What does he throw in terms of size? I'm not looking to breed a monster - I like the 16.1ish. The mare has some height on the dam side, but it seemed to skip a generation. That said, I'd be leary of breeding to something like sized and getting a barely 16h either.

Could you clarify what registries he is approved with? I didn't gain a clear understanding of that through the ad I found.

What type of mare best suits him?

Anyone else with thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgie View Post
    Thanks, BWC2.
    What does he throw in terms of size? I'm not looking to breed a monster - I like the 16.1ish. The mare has some height on the dam side, but it seemed to skip a generation. That said, I'd be leary of breeding to something like sized and getting a barely 16h either.

Could you clarify what registries he is approved with? I didn't gain a clear understanding of that through the ad I found.

What type of mare best suits him?
    Hi Burgie - Carracci is 16.1. The offsping I've seen all seem to be headed toward the 16-16.2 size range. As of now, the Kelly's are taking two of Carracci's oldest North American offspring to Florida this winter to lightly begin their show careers. Depending on where you are located or if you are planning to be in Florida this winter, you could see them in person.

Carracci is a medium size, medium bone, very sporty type of stallion built in a slightly square model. Personally, I would use him on mares with a more rectangular model that need additional scope, athleticism. He improves length of leg, shoulder freedom, coupling and a powerful hindquarter. All of the foals I have seen are uphill movers showing very good engagement of the hindquarters and for added fun, they all seem to have pretty heads with an expressive eye and classy chrome.

Hope this helps!
    Donna

I have bred my mare by A Fine Romance to Carracci this year. I am confident that he will throw his jump and movement due to his prepotent sire Caretino plus from knowing how well Carracci's European offspring have already done. I also love a pretty horse, and he is that!