The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can anyone tell me what this bit is called?

I went to a garage sale years ago and bought a couple of rubbermaid containers full of various pieces of tack and other horse stuff. There were two of these http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/1Indian/bit.jpg in the boxes.

I don't ride English and I've never really seen a bit like it. Well, I do ride in a snaffle but I've never seen one with rings like this. How is it used?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never seen bits like this in catalogs, either.

Thanks!

I have never seen that either.

But I bet that the bridle gets buckled at the big ring and the reins get buckled to the little ring, through the big ring.

that's my guess.

I have seen a bit like this- I'm not sure what it's called though- it was dropped off with a horse I took in for training and I never used it precisely because I didn't really know what it was : )

I would guess that munching is right, as far as how it's used. Funny, I would assume it's a western type snaffle, as I ride English and have never seen it!

1 members found this post helpful.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread about bits that has a link to a wall of bits. Was that Jimmy Williams?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

It looks something like this: http://www.jacksmfg.com/details.asp?product_id=1737 which they call a "Double Extension Ring Snaffle" or a Double Ring snaffle: http://www.drivingessentials.com/Bit%20Overview.php (look at the "Wilson Snaffle") - though on that one, the inside rings are floating, not fixed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone for your input. Glad to know that I'm not the only one that had never seen one of these before. I did a search for the Jimmy Williams thread but my flash player quit on me at work - I'll try it here at home if I can get my pre-t'giving stuff done tonight. And thanks for the links, bdj. Those do look similar! And if it's a driving bit - no wonder I had no idea what it was.

I have seen one of those before, although I can't remember where. I think it is a driving bit. It looks like the headstall would attach to the small rings, and the reins to the larger ones.