The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wide Noseband Bridles - Opinions?

I am looking for a nice wide noseband bridle - qood quality without breaking the bank. I like the really wide nosebands - 1 inch+. Since there may be some good sales on Black Friday, I was wondering if I could get some opinions.

I know alot of you guys have the Aramas bridles, but does anyone have the Pessoa or the ADT Tribute bridles? I know these all have different price points, but any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

In general I prefer ADT over the other brands you mentioned, and I especially like the wide noseband models. If you decide on ADT, don't forget that PremierTackOutlet.com discounts ALL brand new ADT bridles, contact Rebecca and maybe she will make you a special Black Friday deal.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I have the Pessoa and I love it thus far. It looks great on and has held up wonderfully.
    From far:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...51410271_n.jpg
    Close up (ish):
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...36529753_n.jpg

Goodlife - has the Pessoa been easy to darken? Did it soften when you oiled it?

The Pessoa price point is nice, but I wasn't sure about the darkening. I have seen and touched the bridle, and I really like the quality.

I have a friend who has an ADT and the leather is really soft and it has stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by bellboots View Post
    Goodlife - has the Pessoa been easy to darken? Did it soften when you oiled it?
    It wasn't too bad, but since I have a very red chestnut, I'm fine with having a red bridle. What colour horse are you using it on? When I bought mine, I believe I saw it in a darker brown as well.

Not Pessoa or Aramas, but I have the Red Barn Fusion bridle (got it from justbridles.com so I could mix and match sizes) and I LOVE it. It was butter soft right out of the box (and yes, I am comparing to other higher priced bridles, not el cheapo Mexican leather). It was the first bridle to have all of the features I wanted, and Rebecca and justbridles was great! She was able to get a prototype before the bridle was even released to take photos for me. It is wide noseband, slightly round raised, fancy stitched and most importantly for me, has a monocrown. I also have another bridle that I can't recall the brand off hand for, that I use as a schooling bridle that is also wide, fancy stitched, padded and monocrown, but square raised, and it too is a very nice bridle, especially for the price point. I used it for a show this summer as I lent out the Red Barn to a barn mate and had tons of compliments on it. It certainly is no $600 Hadfields, but it is a good working bridle! ETA: This is my schooling bridle: http://www.tackdepot.ca/index.php/en...w-reins-1.html The only complaint I have about it is that the noseband, cheekpiece and throatlatch are all in line, making the crownpiece fairly wide. I have a huge 17.2 moose so it looks good on him, but it could be overwhelming on a smaller head.

I have a dark bay so I prefer dark leather. I saw the non-oiled and the darker bridle at the same time. IMO, the darker leather wasn't as nice as the non-oiled leather - it had some surface wrinkles on the cheek pieces. The non-oiled leather reminded me of the "good leather" that older bridles are made of.

Do you not want the Aramas? Because I have to say it sounds like it fits what you're looking for...good quality leather, well made and mine is dark-its basically Havana. No red in it what so ever. It has also barely stretched at all. The only thing is the wide noseband isn't padded, but the crownpiece is. Don't know if that matters to you. I love it though!

Quote Originally Posted by bellboots View Post
    I have a dark bay so I prefer dark leather. I saw the non-oiled and the darker bridle at the same time. IMO, the darker leather wasn't as nice as the non-oiled leather - it had some surface wrinkles on the cheek pieces. The non-oiled leather reminded me of the "good leather" that older bridles are made of.
    If you're wanting the Pessoa in the colour I have to darken to Havana, I'm not sure it'll do that. I mean it might, if you use the olive oil/plastic bag/left in sun-method or some other tricky method, but the colour mine is now is after a few rounds of neatsfoot oil. I didn't try to make it really dark - just a bit less orange, so I can't say what would happen if you really tried, but it wasn't one of those types that instantly changes colour when you apply neatsfoot.

Not to hijack, but has anyone tried the Ovation wide noseband bridle? With its lower price and black friday coming up, I'm hoping to snag a slightly better deal, but don't want to if it's not worth it!

I have an ovation bridle, not the wide noseband one, that I use for schooling, and it's really nice! It could be my show bridle, but I got a nice Edgewood as a birthday present.The ADT bridle is GORGEOUS. Scott Stewart has it on a lot of his hunters, and it's really beautiful. I totally want one, but I can't justify the 400 dollar price tag.

I love my ADT! Super soft
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

Unless they've changed in the past few years, the Pessoa wide noseband can darken very well—this was mine: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._2625221_n.jpg

Last year I found both the ADT and Dy'on wide noseband bridles discounted at 40% off. After a lot of hemming and hawing I went with the Dy'on... and I kind of regret it. The leather has never broken in the way I expected, so it looks beautiful on but doesn't have that buttery feel no matter what I do to it.

I don't have hands on experience with the brands you mention, but just know you might not be missing out on all that much from the expensive brands.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I had a bad experience with AdT bridles getting an odd "spotting" look to them and my experience with customer service did not make me want to get another one. They make beautiful tack, though.

It really does sound like Aramas could be what you're looking for. I like Pessoa's products, but the last bridle I purchased from them was 10 years ago, so not sure I can weigh in on their quality currently. My Pessoa bridle darkened to a beautiful dark brown- comparable to an oiled Edgewood.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Try a local consignment shop. They may have some wide nosebands from years ago at good prices.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I'm not wild about Pessoa leather of late. I think of the three you mentioned, Aramas is probably your best bet.

You might also take a look at Five Star Tack's Hickory Wide Noseband Bridle. It's a darker leather right out of the box, and very soft. It darkens nicely as well. They'll be taking 15-30% off all of their bridles from Black Friday-Cyber Monday, and you can get free shipping using the code MERRY. :-)

SmartPak has a wide noseband bridle by Wellfleet. I'm super happy with it. The leather started light (Australian nut?) but took oil nicely, and evenly. It's a nice rich brown, not as dark as chocolate and no red, orange, or purple tones!! I haven't measured but I think it's about 1". It has a nice crown piece. I'm happy with everything about it.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I have never been thrilled with Dyon, especially for the price.

The Smartpak Wellfleet *is* basically the Aramas (both made by Harmon Kraft). Both are beautiful and very good bang for the buck. Smartpak is better since it's the same bridle but cheaper

No personal experience with the Ovation or Pessoa but my guess from seeing them in the tack store is there's a clear quality dip between these and the Wellfleet/Aramas.

Adts are beautiful, they are my all time favorite. I think they're worth the money and ARE nicer than the HK made bridles. But they're also significantly pricier.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Here is my boy in the Pessoa in the darker brown. It's a nice bridle. Doesn't compare to my Antares bridle but it is still nice!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._5067559_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...33270925_n.jpg
    ~ Unexpected ~