The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

No, you learn to do it yourself! Bring along a "greenie" from whatever breed you prefer. If a greenie is too much horse for you, send it to someone who specializes in starting young horses until it is safe for you to go on with. We have become a society of wanting a finished product, ready to go, in all aspects of our lives. Sometimes you have to do the work yourself. At least you'll know where the $$$$ is going, and will become a much better horse person because of the experience.

I think if you are around long enough, you will hear stories or know people that have had unfortunate or unethical experiences. Its sad but true. Happens in any business.
    But one of the funnier stories was a woman who visited a (lower end) sale barn, told the BO what she was looking for and was shown one for $5K. She said "oh no, I want to spend more than that" so the next one he pulled out was $10K. Hmmmm.. True story.

2 members found this post helpful.

I can top that.
    A H/J trainer, who is still in business, had someone call and want a palomino. He told him about one he had. They came back with.. but we wanted to spend more. So.. of course he DID have one more expensive one. ... same horse, of course.

1 members found this post helpful.

That is not about the trainer, that is a special stupid consumer remark. Why diss the guy that wanted to give them the color they want?
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

I realize these things happen all the time, but it boggles my mind how otherwise intelligent buyers handle these transactions. I am sorry people get taken, but you have to treat the transaction like a business transaction.

I have never had a problem. I always buy with a trainer, but I also deal directly with the seller. The check or wire tranfer for the purchase price is made out to the seller and the commission check is made out to the trainer. The bill of sale, which I either draft or approve is also made out to me. I also have extensive PPEs done. They have been costly over the years, but kept me from making some mistakes.

I have also had some fabulous and honest trainers over the years. (The best horse I have I bought directly from my trainer at the time and looking back on it, he was still a bargain).

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    That is not about the trainer, that is a special stupid consumer remark. Why diss the guy that wanted to give them the color they want?
    Seriously. Anyone who says they don't want a horse ONLY because they "want to spend more" is an idiot.

I'm always fair and honest, I really don't mind people making money but there has to be a deal.

Showed a very nice 5 year old, priced at the very fair and reasonable price of $52K.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQo_Dr88QXY

I've had the horse in training since he was three at a price which does little much then cover the bills so I'm to recieve a 10% comission baked into that price and paid by the seller no matter what the final price would be.

Somebody saw the horse at a show and alerted the owner to the fact that somebody else had customers wanting to see a lot of horses. That somebody had customers from Mexico but another somebody had heard that she was bringing 20-30 nice horses together at one location so she decided to also go there and bring a US trainer. The US trainer in his turn tried the horse, loved it and had a possible customer for it. However the price was too high for them. I myself stayed out of the conversation about the price out of professional courtesy, just telling him, make an offer.

Nothing came out of it and it was only later I found out that somebody, somebody, and somebody else had added 10% each to the price and on top of that and extra 10% for wiggle room.
    Trainer also of course needed his 10% so now I'm all of a sudden showing a $52K fiveyearold well worth his price for almost 80 grand. Potential buyer had decided that we were just too far apart and was embarrased to even make an offer.

Now as I said, I'm all for people making money, but there has to be a sale first!

I'm totally OK with trainer getting 10%, he has to live with the horse every day, back it up and manage it. He knows his customer and what he or she needs. Somebody two deserves a bit of something for organizing a large scale showing at a very nice facility, but she never once talked to me, all she had was a Mexican customer who in all fairness didn't ride very well and spooked my horse just trying to get on him.
    Somebody one made a phone call and somebody three decided to gate crash somebody twos party. How does that entitle them to a full 10% commission each? Maybe 10% shared would have been a big enough bite and they wouldn't have lost it all?

Granted, they probably sold a few horses that day and made some money anyways, it just irks me that in the end there was going to be a 50% commission on the horse I showed and that's what killed the deal!
    Timothy, stop lurking

Total side note, DancingQueen, but it always amazes me that there are other horses in the show ring when people are competing in some parts of the world! You are in Sweden, I'm assuming? Anyway, carry on. Cute horse in your video.

Can't top some of these stories but my last horse purchase (current horse) I found out something interesting after the fact. My trainer at the time (who went with me to look and try horse) received additional commission besides the amount I paid her.

I found that odd as I'm the one that found the horse in the first place. She came to initial trial and rode him and was there for the PPE. Total of 3 visits. But that doesn't include all the other horses we looked at the she rode also and we PPE'd one other that failed. So I didn't have an issue paying her for her time (this was over a few month period). But she never found any horses for me. I was the one that scoured the internet, etc.

I just found it odd that she would receive a commission from the sellers team (it was through an agent). Is that common?

Now I didn't pay any extra. I was there when we negotiated the price. I wrote the check for that amount to the agent and then a separate check to my trainer for her 10%. But still.... very strange IMO.
    Last edited by LSM1212; Nov. 28, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Another interesting angle is shamateurs who are routinely written up in their breed industry's trade magazines as having "represented both the buyer and the seller in the transaction". Clear-cut USEF rules violation. (That one's been going on for decades and nobody has ever filed on it.)
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Actually War, until about 10 years ago it was USEF legal for amateurs to collect commissions or finders fees if they did not ride the horse or show the horse or train the horse. If it was strictly bringing a client to see a horse and they or the seller paid you for your service that was acceptable within the uSEF rules at the time. I actually in some file somewhere have a letter from the USEF saying same.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014