The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me about boots...for humans.

So a couple weeks ago I was looking for recommendations for boots under $350. My how things change.

My current tall boots are well-aged and well-worn. I had the soles re-glued about four months ago. However...yesterday, as I'm walking in the arena setting jumps, I start to notice my toes feel...sandy. Low and behold, the soles are coming apart again. Yay. Since DH and I bought our Christmas present to each other/ourselves Sunday (new TV), new boots are not in the budget. Okay, I can deal.

So today I grab my trusty ropers and (suede) half-chaps and discover that the inside heel of my boots are starting to also fail me. They are definitely still usable...just not very comfy, and certainly not pretty.

I can get by with this combination for awhile, and only wear my tall boots at the couple of schooling shows planned before next February. However, now I am rethinking my idea of getting (to me) an expensive pair of boots, and am debating on going the cheaper route, but getting either two pairs, or paddock boots and new leather half-chaps.

What would you do? One nice pair to work and show in, two pairs, or a combination of tall and paddock boots/chaps?

I always ride in tall boots. I typically have a show pair (that I pay somewhere between $175 - because I got an astonishing deal on ebay and $400 for and an everyday pair that I usually get for around $100 used - often from a pony club or some such). I just bought a pair of these to do both in until I get my new show boots and have been pleased with the comfort level http://www.smartpakequine.com/dublin...x?cm_vc=Search
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have paddock boots with half chaps for every day riding. I also have a pair of tall boots for showing and clinics. I wear through paddock boots and half chaps every 6-8 months so its just not affordable to buy tall boots for every day riding. I rotate from insulated to non-insulated paddock boots and then use the same half chaps.

Right now my boots collection consists of.
    Showing
    Tredstep Da Vinci tall boots

Everyday Riding
    Ariat Winter Insulated Paddock boots
    Tred Step half chaps
    Ariat H20 paddock boots

I have paddock boots with half chaps for every day riding. I also have a pair of tall boots for showing and clinics. I wear through paddock boots and half chaps every 6-8 months so its just not affordable to buy tall boots for every day riding. I rotate from insulated to non-insulated paddock boots and then use the same half chaps.

Right now my boots collection consists of.
    Showing
    Tredstep Da Vinci tall boots

Everyday Riding
    Ariat Winter Insulated Paddock boots
    Tred Step half chaps
    Ariat H20 paddock boots

If you happen to be a size 7 or 7.5, let me know.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I only wear my tall boots for shows, clinics and lessons. And I wear my paddock boots and half chaps all other days.
    What I did was buy a nice pair of tall boots, and a nice pair of paddock boots, then cheap half chaps.
    Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

Food for thought: I have a pair of Ariat field boots that I bought my freshman year of high school, 14 years ago. While they were close to $600 new, I have shown in them extensively (i.e. in my hunter days, multiple times a weekend; in my eventer days, 10-15 shows a year) since, and I kid you not, they still look brand new. After every wearing, I polish them with mink oil, and they look amazing. I'm always getting compliments on what people assume are my "custom" boots.

In order to preserve my boots, however, I typically ride in half chaps and paddock boots at home. Outside of shows, I only wear my tall boots in lessons. If you're thinking about getting an expensive pair of boots, I highly highly recommend using mink oil on them. That stuff works wonders!

I typically prefer paddock boots and half chaps for every day. There are days I don't feel like wearing britches, or days I don't plan to ride but do, or days (cold days) where I want to wear my full chaps. So, I like having the convenience and options of paddock boots.

I do love my tall boots, though, and will break them out occasionally to wear at home, but mostly preserve them for showing, clinics, and some lessons. They weren't pricey (Mountain Horse Venice), but they look nice and are stupidly comfortable.

I tend to wear the SNOT out of my every day boots. Less so now that I don't muck stalls every day, and less so since I've gotten smart and try to keep non-riding horsey chores to a minimum in them (I try to bathe in my little Bogs slip ons, and do the majority of my EXTENSIVE daily walking for turn out, etc in the Bogs or other comfortable shoes). If you are really hard on boots, like me, I would avoid wearing the same thing for at home and showing. Ether buy two pairs of tall boots, or show boots and paddocks, etc. It'll save you in the long run (and take care of BOTH! Wipe off your every day boots when you clean your tack and slather on some conditioner occasionally. They'll thank you).

1 members found this post helpful.

As someone said above, if you happen to be a 9/9.5, let me know

As for advice, I ride in both but my "paddock" boots are really blundstones, and my tall boots were only $180.00. I've had the zippers replaced in the tall boots after 2 years to a stronger bigger gauge zipper and those suckers are not breaking on me. It really depends on what you want - really nice soft leather to get the perfect fit, or hard wearing boots that can stand up to schooling, etc. Not all boots need to be over $350.00
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

I do half chaps & paddocks for schooling and tall boots for nice lessons/competing. My ariat lace up paddock boots from a million year ago (when they still made cordovan color boots) are on life support & were $200 new. My half chaps are suede tredsteps that needed to be replaced about 6 mos ago

My tall field boots are ariats from middleburg tack exchange that were brand spanking new and $200. I dont wear them much actually b/c they don't have zippers and my instep is really high so I hate putting them on BUT a consignment store might have something similar.
    My tall dress boots are Sergio grassos that make me very very happy but aren't a cheap option.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I really don't get why people feel like they have to spend $400 on boots, other than they just want to. My $100 pair of DevonAire's lasted 11 years before I wore the leather out in the calves (pretty good bang for the buck, I thought. I got a new pair about 5 years ago, they are fine, I school and show and even trail ride in them, I alternate with paddock boots but most of my paddock boots have died now. I also got a raging deal and got a pair of Dublin tall boots for $50 (regular about $140?) and they are lovely. I usually just show and lesson in them, but they are very comfortable and I've had them about 3 years now, no wear visible.

But I figure, it's your money and you can spent it how you want. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I really don't get why people feel like they have to spend $400 on boots, other than they just want to. My $100 pair of DevonAire's lasted 11 years before I wore the leather out in the calves (pretty good bang for the buck, I thought. I got a new pair about 5 years ago, they are fine, I school and show and even trail ride in them, I alternate with paddock boots but most of my paddock boots have died now. I also got a raging deal and got a pair of Dublin tall boots for $50 (regular about $140?) and they are lovely. I usually just show and lesson in them, but they are very comfortable and I've had them about 3 years now, no wear visible.

But I figure, it's your money and you can spent it how you want. Just my two cents.
    Up until very recently, it was very hard for me to find inexpensive boots that actually fit. I need short boots, and finding them in the right set of measurements (foot, calf, and height) was often impossible if I want to stay cheap. I can buy them in the right calf and foot and have them cut down, but by the time I do that, I might as well spend a little more.

Now, more companies (like Mountain Horse and Ariat) are offering less expensive models in a good variety of fits. I didn't have to spend $400 for boots last year (FWIW, I never HAVE. One pair were inexpensive and cut down to fit. The next pair were a great consignment room find). There are a lot more reasonably priced boots on the market now that I can buy off the rack and wear the next day than there were, say, 5 years ago.

That being said, I still can't wear things like Dublins, etc, I don't think. There all too tall.

I get that yb -- I have chicken legs and before they started making slim calf, I could always just stick an arm in my boot!

Over a couple of years I bought a couple pairs of inexpensive tall boots whenever there was a really good sale. I ride in them everyday. One pair I keep for shows and my really old pair still works. I keep the oldest ones whose zippers are iffy in my tack trunk in case I (or someone else) forget my boots. It has happened before! Paddock boots are almost $100, so if I am replacing them all the time, it is almost as much as tall boots. I find that I will take off my tall boots after I ride, but paddock boots I wear all day and they just don't last.

My $.02,
    Pkn

If you don't need zips or have someone to put them in, give SW a call on these tall boots (they might still have the odd pair of paddocks remaining though they are off the website).

Classic Saddlery is always worth a shout - they still have a few boots on clearance

Mary's Tack & Feed always has a clearance corner worth checking
    Ariat Crowne with zip

If you have the time & are comfortable ordering online, there are a lot of deals on boots - you just need to find your size

OOh lots of replies!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to reappear...been an interesting week/weekend.

I really don't WANT to spend $350 on boots...but after putting on a pair of Ariat Volants, I was in love. I bought a pair of cheap tall boots a couple years ago, and was greatly disappointed. They hurt my ankles even after "breaking in", and they just seemed...cheap.

I am comfortable ordering online from Smartpak, since they do the free return shipping, but I am definitely one who likes to try on, walk around, and vainly check out the snazzy boots in a mirror. I'm fairly picky. I don't want them super tight, but I don't like boxy-looking ankles either.

The search is on. I'm really liking certain Mountain Horse boots...hopefully they stay on sale, or go lower after the holidays!!