The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dover Saddlery is so not customer friendly

Just had to share how disappointed I am with Dover Saddlery. After spending a small fortune I called asking for a price match on a girth that is priced 10.00 less (not to mention no shipping) at Smartpak. Dover would not even consider a price match. Not to mention I had to pay shipping to exchange a blanket. It's been 2 weeks and the new blanket still isn't here. Next time I'm going with smartpak or bit of Britain..price match, reasonable shipping, & customer appreciation. So disappointed in you Dover.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm shocked, just SHOCKED.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I'm shocked, just SHOCKED.

You have a nasty sense of humour. I like it.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I cant help but feel bad for Dover.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

We should have a pinned topic on issues that people have with Dover.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I get that way sometimes, and I try to go buy something from Dover. Then I get to checkout and see the shipping will cost more than the items, and I go buy it at SmartPak instead
    The best is yet to come

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't even bother with Dover online anymore, the shipping kills it. Smartpak is the way to go, especially with free shipping, price matching, and free returns.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

4 members found this post helpful.

Did you have this experience with an individual store? Or was it with the main number for the catalog?

I'm surprised that Dover hasn't moved faster on some of the problems that have been discussed openly for over a year (and likely more than that).

1 members found this post helpful.

Adam's Horse Supply will price match too
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Hard to feel bad for a company that refuses to listen to the customers who have been telling them for years what the issues are with their business practices.

7 members found this post helpful.

I think that Dover (and some others) got lulled into a false sense of security when they were really the only show in town so to speak. We were kind of held hostage by lack of options. But with companies like Smart Pak who go above and beyond with their customer service (whether they screwed something up or not), more and more people are sacrificing brand name or whatever just for the "guarantee" that if it doesn't work out, it WILL get resolved.

I've had great experiences w/ Smart Pak, BOB, etc. There have also been mistakes--some on my part, some on theirs. But in every case, the issue was resolved quickly and without a lot of hoop jumping.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I recently had a great experience in the brick and mortar store in NJ trying on helmets.

But if you already know your size and style?

The Charles Owen GR8 at Dover is $289.99, plus $22.95 shipping (so $320), and it is backordered. An apparenty not available at all in Black/Black?

The Charles Owen GR8 at SmartPak is $288.95, NO shipping, available to ship immediately, and available in Black/Black.

Can someone explain to me why Dover thinks people are going to wait longer to get a helmet that is not the color they want for which they have to pay nearly 10% more due to shipping charges????

I usually make a multi-hour sojourn to a Dover store several times a year and typically have great experiences inside. But...

A few weeks ago, I needed a few items. So out of loyalty, pulled up the website and upon checkout was stunned to see the shipping charge!! More than it would cost for me to drive a few hours to the store. I even called to see if I could have the items shipped to the store and I know all of you will be shocked to hear that the answer was "no".

I needed one of the items, it was Dover brand specific, so I sucked it up and paid for the shipping. Then headed over to another company, ordered a blanket, and enjoyed the "FREE SHIPPING" offer. The blanket with the free shipping order arrived 2 days after I placed the order and it took about a week for my item from Dover, the one I ~paid~ for that extra special shipping and handling, to arrive.

I'll still shop at Dover stores, but online?, not so much.

From the most recent Dover quarterly statement.

Revenues
    Total revenues increased $0.9 million, or 4.4%, to $20.4 million for the three months ended September 30, 2012 from $19.5 million for the three months ended September 30, 2011. Revenues in our direct market channel decreased $0.8 million, or 6.8%, to $10.5 million from $11.3 million in the corresponding period in 2011. Revenues in our retail market channel increased $1.6 million, or 20.0%, to $9.8 million from $8.2 million in 2011. The decrease in our direct market channel was due to the more aggressive posture of online retailers and our customer's temporarily shifting to retail as the Company opens new stores. The increase in revenues from our retail market channel was due to strong sales growth from our newer stores as they mature, three additional retail stores and promotions. Same store sales for the three month period increased 6.6% over the prior year. In addition, gift card breakage revenue of $43,088 was recognized during the three months ending September 30, 2012. The revenue was recognized in both retail and direct market channels based on where the gift card was issued. There was no gift card breakage recorded for the same period in 2011.

Dover stock has been in sharp decline since Jan 2012.

So that clearly shows that they think they are doing nothing wrong.... Sigh. They are making less money because others are pushing their stuff, not because they are losing market share because they are not paying attention to what their customers are saying.

I only buy from Dover when I get a substantial list of stuff that I can't find anywhere else. Then I wince, click the button, and head straight for confession! And I'm not even Catholic

I only shop in their store in VA. They do have great after-Xmas/New Years' sales.

Ever since last year when I logged in online and it pulled up someone else's information - some random woman's name, email, and home address in TN! - I stopped doing any online business with them. Freaked me out.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I get that everyone wants free or low cost shipping, who wouldn't?. But, what Dover does right is that they offer 100% satisfaction for their products. If you buy something and aren't happy with the quality, even if you've used it, worn it...broken it..they take it back. I've not had that same experience with some of the other retailers. I think their prices are competitive too. I just got the Smartpak catalog in the mail today, and many items are cheaper at Dover.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by chism View Post
    I've not had that same experience with some of the other retailers..
    Some other retailers (cough Smartpak) do this also.

Quote Originally Posted by chism View Post
    I think their prices are competitive too. I just got the Smartpak catalog in the mail today, and many items are cheaper at Dover.
    I have yet to find one catalog, even the way cheap catalogs, that are cheaper on everything.

When I shop online I normally compare products/prices/shipping and in the end I usually seem to end up at Smartpak.

They say 100% satisfaction guarantee and no questions asked, but thats not always the case.

I may occasionally find 1 or 2 items cheaper there, but the shipping cost AND time outweighs the $1 or $2 difference.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"