The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seeking input - need any and all experience/opinions - POINTING

Our beautiful PerchxMorgan mare is beginning to point

She has zero other physical or soundness symptoms of anything, other than a couple of wind puffs.

We have only had her a year, and 6 months of that she was at turn out, has been back at work for one month.

She is a PERFECT horse for us in every way - 9 years old, willing, friendly, calm, strong, pretty, likes work and people. Most of all, my husband (who drives her) is love with her

In 16 years driving, I only drove one horse who pointed; but he had periarticular ringbone and remained serviceably sound till he was retired (about a year after I started driving him), he just pointed occasionally.

Of course, we will be getting the vet in, but I want to hear upfront now any and all experiences with pointing - diagnosis, treatment, results etc. We so rarely have to deal with problems like this that I am not only rusty, but am dreading having to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of reading contradictory treatments from online sources once we find out what it is we are dealing with. I would much rather get real-life opinions and info here.

I'd appreciate any and all responses. Thanx.
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

My gelding pointed due to navicular. He pointed and took weight off his heel at the same time. He also generally started to get more upright in front.

Good luck. Hopefully nothing serious.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

Please forgive my ignorance, what is pointing?

I wish I had something constructive to offer other than prayers and healing thoughts....
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Mine had a broken elbow but it healed and she was perfectly find after 6 weeks of rest

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance, what is pointing?
    When the horse would otherwise be standing square, he or she puts one leg out in front, maybe usually a front foot, often to protect that foot or leg.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    When the horse would otherwise be standing square, he or she puts one leg out in front, maybe usually a front foot, often to protect that foot or leg.
    Thank you for explaining!

Unfortunately, or fortunately I guess, I have not run into this problem so I cannot give any advice but I do want to send good wishes and hope that it turns out to be a quirk of the mare's and not a serious problem.

There are countless reasons for a horse to point, no point speculating. Most are minor. Jingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    There are countless reasons for a horse to point, no point speculating. Most are minor. Jingles.
    Well, I wasn't asking for speculation, I was asking for experience from people who have BTDT - the different diagnoses, results of treatment etc. IOW, just girding my loins for the spectrum of things to look for/ask about/expect.

While I am happy to hear that IYO the bulk of reasons are minor, but from what I have always heard it is usually navicular, which usually isn't minor and can be a bear to treat. Thanx for the jingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    Thank you for explaining!

Unfortunately, or fortunately I guess, I have not run into this problem so I cannot give any advice but I do want to send good wishes and hope that it turns out to be a quirk of the mare's and not a serious problem.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    Mine had a broken elbow but it healed and she was perfectly find after 6 weeks of rest
    Glad that worked out so well for you No broken bones here...

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    My gelding pointed due to navicular. He pointed and took weight off his heel at the same time. He also generally started to get more upright in front.

Good luck. Hopefully nothing serious.
    Thanx Ako. Did you have any success with treatment?

My gelding pointed when he had lamanitis. sp?

I've seen that behavior in horses with laminitis/who were foundering. Given your mare's breeding and the time of year (sugar in grass, a lot of people adding feed, etc), my antennae would be up for IR/Cushings or something.

There can be a million other reasons as Laurieace mentioned, so with such limited info, it's hard to say.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

For us, when a horse started pointing, navicular was our first to rule out.
    If it was navicular pain, which is very easy to diagnose with hoof testers and blocks, then you go on the hunt for what is causing it.
    THAT is not so easy.

If it is the navicular bone itself looking like swiss cheese, you can do much to keep the horse sound for light lessons on soft ground for some years, before you have to retire.
    We even had a wonderful dressage schoolmaster that was made comfortable with the right kind of shoeing and was leased to a handicapped lady in a wheelchair, that did show him and they did very well.

If it is some soft tissue injury, or some kind of arthritis like ringbone, then today you can use Previcox just like we use Advil in humans.
    We had a horse with low ringbone on Bute for two years, pasture sound only and he was fine, then even Bute was not enough.

We did have one ranch horse that started pointing but also was clearly off here and there.
    It was easy to see why on examination, he had a crack on the end of a coffin bone, that subsequently caused several abcesses and finally, after several months, the crack healed and the abcesses cleared.
    He was fine after that.

I say, one problem with pointing is the extra weight on the hind end, so be sure she won't be getting sore there to compensate.

I don't think driving on pavement would be such a good option if there is something there.
    That is a job that requires 100% sound horses, as you know, sorry.

Hope all that zebra thinking is for naught, you are hearing horses there and it will be something easy, like a bruise that needs to run it's course and she will be fine.

Jingles!!! Hope it turns out to be nothing serious.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

My mare has high and low ringbone in her left front. She pointed with that foot when it hurt, which was just about the entire time it took for it all to fuse. However, my vet injected a combo of ethyl alcohol, cortisone, and a numbing agent (perhaps lidocane, I can't remember) that was to help speed up the fusing process and to give her some relief. She stopped pointing almost immediately after the infusion. She has been sound and back to riding (yay!) for almost a year now and the only time I've seen her point lately is when my farrier had a broken hand (surgery with pin inserted) and he had someone else working in his place. The new guy, while good, made my mare stand on that "bad" foot for a long time - she pointed for a day or so after. I would say that xrays are absolutely necessary here for you - and am hoping it's nothing more serious than a bruised foot!
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

My gelding also would point - he had navicular. It was more like resting of the front foot, similar to the way they rest the back ones. He would stand and alternate which front foot that he would kind of rest out in front of him.

It could be a number of things, but if its not laminitis or an IR issue, I would take a good hard look at what the horse's feet look like on the bottom...contracted heels? Is the frog in good health? any thrush?

My mare recently started toe pointing while walking to keep weight off her heels...she has thrush and a terribly unhealthy frog from years of inadequate farriers who have been unable to fix her underrun heel issue. We are working on this now. But, the vet's diagnosis was that she was toe pointing to keep weight off a heel that wasn't comfortable to land on.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

it's just a symptom. Asking what are all the possible causes and treatment for pointing is kind of like asking what are all the possible causes and treatments for limping.
    You need to get the vet out to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    Thanx Ako. Did you have any success with treatment?
    He did pretty well for maybe 2 years with regular work with no jumping. We put him in egg bar shoes with no wedge, but he ultimately caught the shoe in turnout and I let him be a pasture puff.
    I think the newer drugs available are more effective. I used Isoxsuprine and I think it helped.
    I had his bursa injected, wish I'd done that sooner because it may have been more effective earlier? I know that really helps some.
    I didn't consider nerving in his case so I don't know much about nerving.
    I sent the xrays to Cornell who said Navicular was not evident. (You pay about $80 for a reading.) But he had ALL the signs so I didn't bother with an MRI. He was routinely VERY sore in that one heel and a couple vets diagnosed navicular.
    Hopefully it's not navicular, hopefully she just stepped on something and it will go away.