The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pentosan: Side effects? And effective with the old ones?

I'm up for trying Pentosan, but a couple of vets have been lukewarm about it.

They cite side-effects in horses. Like what?

And what are the differences in the physiological action of Pentosan vs. Adequan or any of the glucosamine-like things?

Many thanks
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The only side effects I have seen with my soon to be 25 year old is tearing around the field like a lunatic and playing halter tag constantly!
    Last edited by Laurierace; Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, horrid side effects in my old gelding too. He is a total jerk again and shaking his head in defiance as he gallops around the pasture and races with the 3yr and 4 yr olds. Oh I am also seeing issues with his hind end too. He seems to have trouble keeping his back feet on the ground and kicking up his heels seem to be a common/frequent occurrence.

Have not seen any ill/bad side effects personally. Tho I do have a friend that said Pentosan did nada for her horse but Adequan did help.

6 members found this post helpful.

My horse's side effect has been wanting to canter up a hill at the end of our one hour schooling session--he's 27! He's an Arab and suddenly wants to travel with his hind legs underneath him, making him round and un-Arablike.

Pentosan should be banned so these elderly equines can retire.

6 members found this post helpful.

Only side effect I've noticed is my mare no longer stopping on XC.

Any drug could potentially cause an allergic reaction, but that's not really a "side effect".

Pentosan is related to heparin (an anticoagulant) chemically and can have weak effects on the clotting system, so a horse could theoretically be more prone to bleeding from some sort of cut or injury that might not bleed much otherwise in the day or two following a Pentosan injection. This effect is probably not much more than something in the "keep it in mind" category, as the dose is relatively small and the heparin-like effect quite a weak one.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, deltawave.

Any clue to what this stuff does physiologically?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My horse will bleed at the site, just a small amount. His first shot I think we hit a nerve (did it ourselves, husband worked for vet for years), had an emergency call to the vet at 10pm because he wouldn't bear weight on the leg (Doh.) second time, horse puffed up (vet did it this time, neck that time), and was swollen. With each shot it went down, now he just bleeds a little.

But dangit, if my stupid horse doesn't go play tag with his 3 year old girlfriend after his shots!!

For reference, I was VERY against injections, but he was 21, and so lame he couldn't TROT, walking was difficult. What else did I have to loose? Hes such a 180 now, no one can believe that my fire-breathing Pegasus that's currently over jumping a simple 2' cross rail like its a grand prix jump, is the same horse. Same goes for when he and the *super atheltic* warmblood (gp prospect) baby go ripping around playing tag.

Side effect: making old horses feel 3.

I'm curious about this as well. I sure haven't heard of any downsides, but have only had it suggested by one vet (who is very pro pentosan). But it is in my sights as a helper for one of my boys, so I'm starting to look into it more.

OK, I hear stories of wildness.

But are these horses sounder or just hepped up on goof balls?

And how bad was the arthritis? With my old man, we are assuming that Adequan doesn't do much because there's not a whole lot of cartilage there left to fix.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    OK, I hear stories of wildness.

But are these horses sounder or just hepped up on goof balls?

And how bad was the arthritis? With my old man, we are assuming that Adequan doesn't do much because there's not a whole lot of cartilage there left to fix.
    I think sounder is the correct answer. Chip has always been hot. It was sad to see him get stiff and act old. Weight started going the wrong way in a horse that had defined easy keeper even during hard work. The final blow in reality came when he walked slowly to the barn one afternoon with a huge bite on his side. See Chip never got bites...he gave bites. So I watched the next day in turn out and 2 young geldings started playing and play turned to pick on the former herd boss.

He had been getting Nsaids for the 3 previous winters but in summer seemed more himself....tho he did not act this good even in summer.

Hot, defiant, full of himself is in fact his normal. Several owners walked away from him before he became mine at 7yrs of age.

He acts like a couple decades have been knock off him. First thing I noticed at somewhere around 3 wks of the loading dose was he started stepping out with ease. He continued to improve for another5-6 mths.

I am not sure you can predict how Pentosan will help your horse based in that fact your are assuming type/amount of damage.

I can only say based on what I have seen in my horse and now my 3 dogs (as I have started 3 old dogs on it too) that I would not hesitate to try it again.

Chip is the gelding herd boss again. He shares that boss status again with the herds matron mare just like he has for over ten years. And those 2 younger geldings that thought it was so much fun to hassel him have been re-informed to watch their manners. Peace and structure ....he only need glance in their direction and they know better.

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse was never unsound but he is stiff and creaky in the beginning of a ride. The pentosan didn't take that away but he warms out of it quicker than without it. The best thing is he used to have his hocks injected twice a year but hasn't had it done in two years since starting the Pentosan.

Sounder in Bonnie's case. She is never a goofball or the type to play up. She just moves better and her eventing scores are lower, usually by 30 points! (take 5 off her dressage scores, subtract a rail in SJ and no more stops on XC!) Quite a tangible, numeric benefit, I'd say.

It is also ENTIRELY possible (and, in fact, likely) that part of this process of her feeling better is due to her hocks having fused over the past 18 months. Whether the pentosan helped that process or if it would have occurred on its own is unknowable. I am happy to keep giving her her monthly shot of Pentosan during show season. She won't be getting any for a while now because it's "down time" and we'll see how she feels come spring.

It works by actually modifying the cartilage, not as a "painkiller" or "anti-inflammatory" per se.

Not a scientific reference, but this is a decent review article from the Thoroughbred Times.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/hor...own-under.aspx
    Click here before you buy.

Sounder, ive known my guy a long time (before I purchased), and he's always been a firey red head thoroughbred.

It could be that the lukewarm vets have their business model in the back of their minds. Hock injections, even Legend and Adequan which they can mark up are better for profit margin than Pentosan which when compounded they are not supposed to mark up...
    I've also seen huge soundness and fluidity improvement in several horses of varying age, yet some take more time than others to respond. I also think the improvements last far longer than other interventions. My vet says she has seen many big aged horses who are at the point of struggling to get up after recumbancy improve remarkably to the point where they jump up with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by candico View Post
    It could be that the lukewarm vets have their business model in the back of their minds. Hock injections, even Legend and Adequan which they can mark up are better for profit margin than Pentosan which when compounded they are not supposed to mark up...
    I've also seen huge soundness and fluidity improvement in several horses of varying age, yet some take more time than others to respond. I also think the improvements last far longer than other interventions. My vet says she has seen many big aged horses who are at the point of struggling to get up after recumbancy improve remarkably to the point where they jump up with ease.
    This.

Also my former vet whom I attempted to discuss pentosan with had never heard of it. Obviously he is now my former vet for the lack of service he gave me and the horse. Several friends of mine were already using it. All reported to me it was in general much better (results) and cheaper (than other treatment methods). They also told me to be prepared to use it for several months before I made my final choice. I asked my former vet for months about input about pentosan and other treatments. I also requested price quotes. I got excuses and whining from the office help.

Some old dogs just do not care to learn new tricks.

So I called out a different vet to see my old horse. He had never heard of pentosan either. I thought it rather odd as he is the local lameness "expert". But he did a brief internet search from his truck computer. Said he would do a bit of checking into it later that day. Also told me his office assistant would get me a price quote. By the next day I had the price quote, a general opinion from the vet, and his ok if I wanted to try it. And rest is a happy ending.

I do not believe in miracles. And I do know you just can not turn back the aging clock. But the short of the long is why not give my horse (any horse) affordable effective treatment. He carried me for 20 yrs and sometimes in rough terrain where other horses gave out. I am thrilled to watch him enjoy his retirement and maybe even sneak that occassional ride for old times sake in too.

Whether you decide to try pentosan or not is your choice. But I encourage to stay proactive and research pentosan....not to mention other treatments.

used it on an older pony last year and it definitely helped her, she was moving noticably better however she ultimately needed to be retired shortly thereafter so didn't improve her enough to keep her servicably sound for the job she had. That said, definitley noticed a freer more fluid moving happy pony after the loading dose.

In case you have not seen it. For your viewing pleasure....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaRq7ZPcKeU

I'm with the others on side effects. My 32 year old foundered horse often thinks he can go cross country again.

Default Pentosan

I use it on my 24 year tb mare. She was never lame, but started out stiff behind. She is much less stiff and warms up much quicker. With the help of Pentosan and the occasional use of previcox my mare is back to schooling third level and jumping training level. BTW pentosan was recommended to me by both my local vet and Kent Allen, both felt is was very benifical for horses with arthritis.

Hmm..can I get some for myself???
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.