The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Totilas Not to Stand at Stud in 2013

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...tand-stud-2013

So then, no excuses for 2013... should be interesting!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

OK, what's "Pfeiffer disease"?

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Mononucleosis

I'm impressed. That's a pretty radical decision. So the beastie gets a year. I might guess if all is still 'in the crapper' after a year, ToTo would get retired to strictly stud services.

In hindsight, it's pretty obvious. Big S should-a had a rider in mind/lined up before hand. Just selling off the ride to a willing bidder twas NOT the sharpest plan.... Sure, anybody with a big enough check book can just hop on up that pony and go collect 80% like apples in an orchard! Seems pretty silly now.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I'm impressed. That's a pretty radical decision. So the beastie gets a year. I might guess if all is still 'in the crapper' after a year, ToTo would get retired to strictly stud services.

In hindsight, it's pretty obvious. Big S should-a had a rider in mind/lined up before hand. Just selling off the ride to a willing bidder twas NOT the sharpest plan.... Sure, anybody with a big enough check book can just hop on up that pony and go collect 80% like apples in an orchard! Seems pretty silly now.
    I believe other riders (such as Isabell Werth) were approached and they wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Gal left some pretty big shoes to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I believe other riders (such as Isabell Werth) were approached and they wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Gal left some pretty big shoes to fill.
    I don't doubt that. But I still think that S won't make this kind of mistake again. I think there's definitely a lesson to be learned about what a huge risk it is, even if you can afford the horse.

I don't know how much spare $ S has lying around, but it may have been wiser to HIRE a rider instead of looking for someone to buy into the investment. I think that was the part of the scheme that was most prone to going awry.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...,r:1,s:0,i:144
    He was at home with this?
    Sorry, it's the first thing that came to mind, lol!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

In hindsight Totilas should have been left in training with Gal. Sjef is a step down imo.

I just hope he doesn't have "an unfortunate accident" but it wouldn't surprise me.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Makes the price of foals more $$, but they already collected him A LOT this last year.

And possibley SJ can be a real fall guy for the next happenings as well.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

st.georg online already reporting update:

http://www.st-georg.de/news/detail.p...objectID=13645

in which it turns out that Totilas WILL breed in 2013,but on a restricted basis so that he and his rider can concentrate on competition.

<< Paul Schockemöhle denied reports that ten million euro stallion Totilas in the upcoming season is not used for breeding in order to fully concentrate on the sport.

"Bul&&&it," told Paul Schockemöhle St.George-online. >>
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

OH dear.

More drama just when you thought the whole mess could not get worse.

The saddest part IMO is that we never got to see Totilas at his full potential in competition with the likes of Uthopia, Valegro, etc. THAT would have been a contest I think! Then again, with both of those horses still unsold, one never knows what meet-ups could occur in 2013....
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    In hindsight Totilas should have been left in training with Gal. Sjef is a step down imo.
    I'm pretty sure if he'd been asked if he wanted to continue to ride/train him the answer would have been yes... Too bad, isn't it? And from someone who seems far more interested in business than trying to win medals.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Who do you think was Gal's trainer ?
    One would think they will be wringing out all the semen to freeze over the winter, so that he won't need to do live cover/fresh.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Nov. 21, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

He never has done live cover has he??
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    st.georg online already reporting update:

http://www.st-georg.de/news/detail.p...objectID=13645

in which it turns out that Totilas WILL breed in 2013,but on a restricted basis so that he and his rider can concentrate on competition.

<< Paul Schockemöhle denied reports that ten million euro stallion Totilas in the upcoming season is not used for breeding in order to fully concentrate on the sport.

"Bul&&&it," told Paul Schockemöhle St.George-online. >>
    Good grief..where does he think St.George got the original story ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

I would imagine Paul and co-owners have made quite a bit of $$$ from all the breedings thus far. Some stallions have a tough time focusing on their job when they are also breeding but you don't find that out until you ask them to do both. That being said, I wish that young man all the success in the world with that horse. I am not enamored of his trainer choice but Edward was trained by Anky so perhaps this is the right way to go to ensure success. Mattias has to learn how to adjust his way of riding to Totilas. That can take quite a bit of time. Mattias is only 26, a bit limited in experience due to his age. With this horse there is a huge learning curve. Perhaps limited breeding next year will keep the money rolling for the stud fees yet help Totilas focus more on his job. A bit of trial and error I would think. I would have loved to have seen Totilas in London, but I think Rio is more on their horizon. The best of luck...time will tell the story....

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    He never has done live cover has he??
    There's certainly no mention about it here:http://www.schockemoehle.com/en/serv...ng-conditions/