The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small gifts for fellow boarders

I would love to buy/make a little something for my fellow boarders for the holiday season. There are quite a few people, so i'd like to stay in the $15 range each. Anyone have any suggestions aside from horse treats?

Last year I got hat/ earmuff/ gloves/ scarves for them. The little inexpensive sets from Walmart. Each boarder had a different color combo. And the gloves were convertable so they could uncover their fingers to do buckles and such.

The year before I got them "cowgirl" bracelets, all different styles.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Gloves are always great.

How crafty are you?

I'm working on a project now for Christmas. Dollar store frames, picture of person and horse, wrap the frames in a fabric of your choice. Super cute, cheap, and easy!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Michael's craft stores usually have a bunch of different DYI Christmas ornaments. Maybe something with their horse's name? I got a scarf one year and I agree gloves would be nice. Maybe also just think about little tack things that are always lost.

Hoof picks all around!

2 members found this post helpful.

I like the hoof pick idea - maybe the nicer Oster type ones, tied with festive ribbon on a bag of carrots!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have about 6 hoof pick in my grooming box.. I don't really need another and I feel like I always get them for christmas... :P

what about name plates for halters if anyone has a nice halter or little name tags for bridle's? You could probably have them made for $5 and it's something personalized... on that same note if you could sneak a little section on tail hair (and you don't think they'd get mad) you could braid it with a charm or name tag as a bracelet.

Take a bunch of pictures of the farm/ horses and make calendars.

Nameplate bracelets!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

If you give a sun catcher made by cother eventgroupie2, or an ornament made by Starhouse, the fellow boarders will keep it forever. And will love it. We warmbloods send one of each to our secret santa recipient Eleanor.

If you want cheap but useful, get one of the "throws" from the drugstore. Our owner was given one by a fellow boarder 5 yrs ago. It's soft and comes in many colors and designs. And doesn't cost much money at all.

Our owner's old farrier made hoof picks out of steel horse shoes and gave them as gifts 6 yrs ago. They are really nice and very different from the "normal" hoof pick. From 2 warmbloods' point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Take a bunch of pictures of the farm/ horses and make calendars.
    I've done 'barn family calendars' before (pictures of horses, shows, boarders, the farm itself) and people really like them. Sites like shutterfly make it really easy to make and print them (about $15/ea I think). Bonus points for including everyone's birthdays

A really cheap but fun option is to find a bunch of paintable horse ornaments at a craft store, and then customize them to look like every boarder's horse (color and markings). I still have one a fellow boarder made for me many years ago on my tree every year - it's a nice way to remember an old horse. Maybe too time consuming if you have a bunch of pintos and appys though!

I make my own mash mixes, get a bag of wheat bran, some sweet feed and then your add ins. You can add peppermints or dried apples and cinnamon, etc. I print cute labels and instant gift

One year I found a lady who made horse head ornaments out of thin sterling wire and in the mane she would bend it to make a name. I got one for each of my buddies with their horse's name in the mane. I believe they were in the $15 range. If you are interested I can try to dig up the maker's website.

If you don't feel like being super crafty, these are really great--and bonus, they're only $11

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/wi...t-cover/RBC35/

Have you seen www.myrope.com? That's a neat idea and you can get a standard length personalized lead rope for $14.99.

I've done or recieved in the past:

- horse magnets painted to the horses' likenesses
    - smartwool socks
    - bottle of wine (for 21+)
    - ornaments with horses' likenesses painted or decoupaged (sp?) on
    - winter riding gloves
    - ear and neck warmers
    - ball caps with the farm logo embroidered

A co-boarder made all these cute stockings for our horses, so BO decided that it would be fun for everyone to fill each others stockings - only hitch was NO Food that the horses could eatas some (like mine) were pretty crafty in getting ahold of the stockings. We kept it down to under $5.00 per person; it was so much fun to see what people came up w/. I would always go to the sample section at drug stores and fill up on sample sized shampoos, wash, moisturizer, sun screen,chap stick etc. Maybe you could see if your barn would want to do something like that? It worked at my barn because we only had about 20 or so people involved.

I always groan inside when someone gives me a kitschy piece of jewelry or christmas ornament. I also loathe any not-leather gloves. I'm all about utilitarian gifts... Gimme some of those 'Shake n' Heat" hand warmers, or a small bottle of Advil, some ear muffs, lip balm and a wee box of tissues; I'm ecstatic.

I gave small, individual gifts at the barn for years, and then I stumbled on a less expensive, elegant way to give the boarders exactly what they all wanted: bags of individually wrapped candies and cookies poured into a large plastic punch bowl and mixed around, with a card and accompanying poem attached. I put in gluten-free candies, lots of chocolates, skittles, peppermints, butterscotch discs, life savers, oreo-type cookies, etc, etc, and each year the bowl comes with a complimentary refill. The first ration is usually gone in three days, and the refill takes just a touch bit longer. The only rule is each piece of anything must be individually wrapped. It is easy and even those on diets indulge!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/