The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Am I just being paranoid?

So, I'm trying to sell a saddle on tacktrader.com & have had a few people want to pay via certified or personal check. I could accept the check and cash it before shipping, but my instincts are telling me that the offers are some sort of scam. I've ammended my ad to say that I'll only accept PayPal, but I wonder if I'm not turning off legit buyers. I've never sold a saddle online before; am I being too paranoid?

Thanks for any advice!

You could always wait until the check clears with your bank before shipping. Given the choice, if I were the buyer I would love to pay with a check rather than PlayPal.

There are a lot of people who think Paypal is a scam and won't use it.

You can confirm a cashier's check is legit before cashing it by taking it to the bank that issued it.

There are many ways to end up losing your saddle and the payment by accepting Paypal. The following are the only ways you can ensure that the funds are yours and not subject to fraud:

1. Cash

2. Bank Wire Transfer.

2. Depending on the price of the saddle, they can send you USPS money orders that you can cash at the local post office.

3. A personal or cashier's check that you cash at their bank or one of their branches near you. Do not deposit it or cash it at your bank.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I kind of feel like an ass for not accepting checks now; maybe money order is the way to go... I am really not enjoying trying to sell this saddle so far!

Quote Originally Posted by gallopingmouse View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I kind of feel like an ass for not accepting checks now; maybe money order is the way to go... I am really not enjoying trying to sell this saddle so far!
    Money orders can be forged too, that is why if they go to their post office to purchase it with cash and you cash it at your post office, you will know it is good. Do not take any other type of money order.

I've had good luck with accepting personal checks from banks that have branches all over the USA, such as Bank of America or Chase. You go to a local branch, show your driver's license and they cash it directly from the buyer's account.

Good luck!

The simple solution is to have the buyer send you a cashier's check. That check means the money is on hold at the bank for you. Buyer can write all the checks he wants to, or stop payment on others, but the holder of that cashier's check will get the money. Have it made out to you, and sent to you.

If someone can go to the bank to get his check certified, a waste of time for the seller btw, he can surely get a cashier's check right then at his bank in order to send the money to you.

Always ask for a cashier's check. Or stick with paypal.

And, e.g., if someone sends you a check on the same national bank, say BankAmerica, that has a bank in your town, then take the check to that bank and cash it out on the buyer's account. Don't run it through your account, even if you have an account with the same back. Cash out the check on the buyer's account and leave your account out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post
    The simple solution is to have the buyer send you a cashier's check. That check means the money is on hold at the bank for you. Buyer can write all the checks he wants to, or stop payment on others, but the holder of that cashier's check will get the money. Have it made out to you, and sent to you.

If someone can go to the bank to get his check certified, a waste of time for the seller btw, he can surely get a cashier's check right then at his bank in order to send the money to you.

Cashier's checks are frequently forged, so unless you go to the same bank that the cashier's check is drawn on to cash it, you can lose the funds. Also, you can put a stop payment on a cashier's check. So yes a cashier's check will work (as will a personal check) but you still need to cash it at one of their bank branches, not yours.

There are many ways to get defrauded via Paypal. (and yes, I have accepted over 7000 Paypal payments but would never use them on a big ticket item). All sales are not final on Paypal. Buyers can send you back a damage saddle or a box of rocks or a different saddle. Some horrors stories on www.paypalsucks.com

That's why you take the cashier's check t o the bank and cash it out there. Then you ship the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post

And, e.g., if someone sends you a check on the same national bank, say BankAmerica, that has a bank in your town, then take the check to that bank and cash it out on the buyer's account. Don't run it through your account, even if you have an account with the same back. Cash out the check on the buyer's account and leave your account out of it.
    Cashier's checks are forged all the time. Unless it's a local bank and you can go directly to the bank that issued it, nope,don't do it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Macimage View Post
    Money orders can be forged too, that is why if they go to their post office to purchase it with cash and you cash it at your post office, you will know it is good. Do not take any other type of money order.
    This. Accept only USPS money order - cash it at the post office when you go to ship the saddle.

As for PayPal, be sure you know all the hoops you'll need to jump through, depending on the amount of the purchase (i.e., ONLINE verifiable Delivery Confirmation AND Signature Confirmation). Get shipping insurance, too.

Personally, I wouldn't offer PayPal on a big-ticket item like a saddle. Anyone can get to a post office and purchase a money order.

Good luck!
    Equus Keepus Brokus