The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default treatment for FLUTD

He's had crystals before & UTI...about 2 yrs ago. We treated the UTI with antibiotics & added wet food to help with crystals. He started spraying again a month ago so we switched him to CD food. Spraying stopped & started again, so we did a urinalysis, expecting another UTI. Results show blood & increased red & white blood cells, but no bacteria & no crystals. Fenoxybenzamine (Likely spelled wrong!) was recommended. Does anyone have experience with this disease or this drug? I did some research & it seems like there is a high reoccurrance rate. I'm at my whit's end - love him dearly, but can't have him spraying - peeing outside box. Help please

Www.catinfo.org has a ton of information. First step is a wet food only diet. Atopica helps some of these cats as does a course of pain medications.
    Last edited by Marshfield; Nov. 20, 2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spellin

This was happening with my cat a few years ago. Diagnosis was eventually given of idiopathic cystitis (sp?). Basically, my cat was getting stressed out by...whatever...and it was manifesting itself as an inflammed bladder which resulted in blood in urine and inappropriate urination. Switched to strictly wet food and did a course of kitty anti anxiety meds and it worked out. Has been fine since, so maybe something to talk to your vet about?

Sterile cystitis is common in cats (like UTI, but no bacteria). Phenoxybenzamine helps, and I personally found cosequin for cats added to the food once daily really helped too.

I have one cat who is prone to it, and since adding the cosequin he has had no recurrances. If the bladder is currently really inflammed, adding an anti-inflmmatory will also help.

Tin food is ideal.

My young cat is at the vet for sterile cystitis right now....poor guy he has had a heck of a time with it. We are doing fluids and meds, so we will see how it goes. Prognosis is not good. He will not eat wet food (probably the only cat in the world who won't). Poor guy..as a kitty he was caught in a car motor and left untreated for weeks. Someone dropped him at the vets door with gaping infected wounds. Took them five months to get him well....and then I "acquired" him. He has been through hell and back and is only 18 months old. Sweet, kind and playful but not a healthy guy. Love him to pieces but not sure how much more we can/should do for him.

I had one too that HATED tin food. She lived a very long life on dry food with no renal issues or bladder issues.

There are certain dry foods that are designed for bladder health, if your cat wont eat wet food theres certainly alternatives. Water fountain to promote drinking, SQ fluids and adding a water based gravy to the kibble.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I had one too that HATED tin food. She lived a very long life on dry food with no renal issues or bladder issues.

There are certain dry foods that are designed for bladder health, if your cat wont eat wet food theres certainly alternatives. Water fountain to promote drinking, SQ fluids and adding a water based gravy to the kibble.
    Thanks Squish. Purchased the water fountain, picked up fluids from the vet and will try the gravy!