The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PPE for weanling?

When buying a foal, what do people do for a PPE?

My vet recommended radiographs. However I have heard conflicting views that joints aren't formed, that OCD can come and go, and nothing is worth xraying til 2 years or older. Just check heart, lungs and eyes and you're done.

What's the consensus?
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

When we bought my weanling last year, I had the full workup done on her. Radiographs, blood work, heart, eyes, lungs. Everything but a flexion, since that can hurt them. I'm glad that I did because we had a starting point should anything have ever come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I didn't do any radiographs with my weanling primarily for the reasons you point out. I pulled blood and did a thorough health check (eyes, heart, lungs, etc). The vet identified an umbilical (hernia maybe) that went uninsured by my agent but closed in her first year.

For OCD, I was more concerned with providing slow growth feed and 24/7 turn out in varied terrain.

I'm a breeder, and really feel x-rays are a waste of money on a foal. None of the joints are even finished by 6 months of age. Some of my buyers have done x-rays. Most check all the vitals (eyes, ears, nose, mouth, lungs, heart etc), examine the legs and feet for correctness and any swelling, and check the gaits for correctness. Not much more than might be required for insuring. If I were buying, I would not do x-rays.
    Oh, one buyer also did bloodwork.

3 members found this post helpful.

I checked vitals, teeth, eyes and feet - watched her move. And that was it! But, mine was also a very cheap weanling (not a big investment). And she was just three weeks old when I placed my deposit.

5 years later - so far so good.

Most of my buyers who have chosen to do a PPE on a foal have simply had a very thorough physical exam done, plus the vet watches the foal move. I have had one buyer who wanted x-rays and that was fine-it's their money!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I agree. I have had buyers who do a full work up and buyers who just do a physical exam. When I have bought youngsters, I never xrayed unless something jumped out during the exam. Xray before about 24 months are not conclusive at all. They do make for a much more expensive PPE and some vets seem to recommend them, while others who see a lot of babies, don't tend to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    I'm a breeder, and really feel x-rays are a waste of money on a foal. None of the joints are even finished by 6 months of age. Some of my buyers have done x-rays. Most check all the vitals (eyes, ears, nose, mouth, lungs, heart etc), examine the legs and feet for correctness and any swelling, and check the gaits for correctness. Not much more than might be required for insuring. If I were buying, I would not do x-rays.
    Oh, one buyer also did bloodwork.

1 members found this post helpful.

What are people looking for when they have blood work drawn?

I had one buyer do full bloodwork. I think you see this more in a long-distance purchase when the buyer hasn't met the horse and wants it confirmed there is no sign of infection or illness.

Personally, I've never done a PPE on the foals I've purchased. I agree with those who've said radiographs are a waste of time and money and flexions are possibly harmful.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Thanks for all the replies! I'm leaning towards passing on the xrays.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB