The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does this feed saver ring (for corner feeder) work?

Has anyone used this feed saver ring, for a corner feeder? http://www.horsefroogle.com/Feed-Sav...der-p/1132.htm

My horse swooshes his food out of his bucket, along with all his expensive and necessary meds. I've used this kind with success, but haven't tried the corner feeder type. I can't seem to figure out how that would work as well as the round one...
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

If you've had luck with the round feed saver ring, why would you want to switch?

I tried the round feed saver ring on a couple of horses and didn't have any significant luck with it, but did start to mix their grain and supplements with beet pulp and they stopped slopping as much around. Well all except one horse who doesn't toss his feed but has attention deficeit and takes a bite walks around, takes another bites etc.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    If you've had luck with the round feed saver ring, why would you want to switch?
    Moving barns for the winter and they have the corner feeders bolted with a swing out door. Trying to avoid asking for even more special exceptions than I have to already. I was hoping that corner feed saver ring would work but can't figure out how it's supposed to since it isn't solid...
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

OK, valid reason. In the old days, they had a very similar type of feed saver ring for round tubs. I don't remember that working terribly well.

If all the corner and side snaps are the same, why not just buy a round tub with a feed saver ring. Check out Big Dee's prices.

http://horse.bigdweb.com/search?view...tubs&x=20&y=12

For Fortiflex it would be ~ $19 and for Horsemen's Pride tubs it would be about $36. You'd probably have to pay shipping but Big Dee is very good to work with from my experience.

Just don't mix the feed saver ring from one with the tub of the other brand.

Good luck. I'm sure even if the snaps and screw eyes didn't match up exactly, your new barn owner would be happy to oblige.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Can you screw some scrap 2x6 boards around the feeder? Much cheaper