The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2+1 horse trailers with living quarters, tell me about yours....

I am starting to look for a new trailer. I want a 2 + 1 with moderate living quarters, just enough for me and my dog while we're on the road.

I'm interested to hear about what brand & year you have, what you like about it, what you don't like.

Thanks!

Until recently, there weren't any 2+1 will REAL LQs in them unless custom. Shadow is now making a 2+1 with 10' LQ that I am lusting over.

I think a lot of people get the 6' dressing room and have weekenders put in them. Don't know if Risa at Happy Trails makes any 2+1s with weekenders, but that's probably who I'd start with.

Good luck!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

I currently have a 2+1 with dressing room and upgrading to one with LQ... beware that the length of the trailer gets really long and depending on where and what roads you travel... that length might surprise you!

A 'normal' 2+1 with dressing rm is approximately 22' on the floor plus 8' for the gn, therefore total length is 30'

A 'normal' 2+1 with 10' LQ is approximately 32' on the floor plus 8' for the gn, therefore total length is 40' with that length... you definitely want a dully as your tow vehicle.

I'm working with Logan Coach and going with 27' on the floor for a total length of 32' - much easier to 'handle'.

Quote Originally Posted by jollytrak View Post
    I currently have a 2+1 with dressing room and upgrading to one with LQ... beware that the length of the trailer gets really long and depending on where and what roads you travel... that length might surprise you!

A 'normal' 2+1 with dressing rm is approximately 22' on the floor plus 8' for the gn, therefore total length is 30'

A 'normal' 2+1 with 10' LQ is approximately 32' on the floor plus 8' for the gn, therefore total length is 40' with that length... you definitely want a dully as your tow vehicle.

I'm working with Logan Coach and going with 27' on the floor for a total length of 32' - much easier to 'handle'.
    I am in the market for a 2+1 LQ and wondering about your calculations.You did not deduct for the dressing room. I am thinking the back is 19 +10 is 29 and with goose 37 I am hoping it isn't 40' anyway.

Ive had a few over the decades, one home built (that I had forever), and now a six horse with the small tack/living area with 4 feet of deck space and the gooseneck.

The homebuilt was an old Atco fully insulated trailer, that used to have a reefer unit on it. It rode like a bus, 6400 lbs empty. We made it into a horse trailer in 1979. Originally, it was a two horse, with a back load ramp. The living accommodation was about 6 feet of deck space, and the gooseneck. It had a stove, sink and cupboards in it. Then we took that out, and made the gooseneck only the living accomodations (beds), and put a side ramp on it, where horses would load in the side, move hind quarters over and back into the stalls, leaving the option to put a third horse in the turn around space. I only did that once I think. The deck on this trailer was 16 feet. The divider was hinged on a vertical bar at the back, and it had chestbars that were brought up and pinned once the horse had backed into its stall. I would still be using this trailer, but it simply wore out with age (it was originally built in 1964), the ribs rusted out in the walls. And it was dammed heavy.

Replacing it was a problem. So many of the trailers with living accomodations are too big, too much space taken up by the living accomodations, with the horses crammed into the back. The posh living accomodations are HEAVY, require a very powerful truck, and are wasted space if you are only looking for something to overnight in. And it is hard to find anything other than this, I think the rodeo crowd likes the fancy live in trailers, and evidently has no problem buying them. Trailer manifacturers like to accommodate them, and charge the big bucks for luxury. I wasn't particularly looking for a six horse, but that was what I found as a used trailer, Featherlite, fully aluminum. 4 feet of the deck space taken up by the tack room, where I store all my stuff, and beds in the gooseneck, which works well for me. It originally had three (THREE) tackrooms in it (had been on the rodeo circuit in Arizona thirty years ago), so I ripped two of them out, kept the front tack only. Enlarged the horse carrying area to make three box stalls out of the 26 feet of deck space. If I put six horses in it, I am probably overweight. But it carries three or four quite nicely. It is a luxury three horse trailer. Horses ride loose in the box stalls, and I have day stabling at horse shows with it.

You have to be very aware of the weight issue, as well as the length issue with these trailers. Licensing issues are weight sensitive. When considering length of a gooseneck trailer, it is only the deck length that is the issue. The gooseneck is free space. Length is not so much an issue, my hubby (who used to drive commercially, 53 foot trailers) says that the longer it is, the easier it is to back up. This is actually true, though it is a bit scary at first. It is easier because things happen more slowly than with a shorter trailer. Going down the road, the length doesn't matter that much. But these long trailers will drop in around tight corners more than you are accustomed to with smaller trailers. And of course, there are minimum space requirements that you need to get it turned around.

I don't know if you can find a LQ trailer that is minimal in size of the LQ made commercially, and afford the price of a new trailer. But older trailers are able to be switched around to suit. The modifications that I made in this old Featherlite only added strength to the frame, improved it (according to the aluminum welder guy).

We have an exiss that was a 4 horse head to head that was converted into a 2 + 1 with 16ft of living quarters. The trailer was built in 2001 and. It was bought brand new and went to a place in the US to be converted into a living quarters trailer as they were hard to come by back then. The trailer is 40ft long and is pulled with a dually. It's 15,000lbs loaded so quite a load....we want to sell this one and get a trailer that has less live in quarters and more horse trailer to it. We do combined driving and drive a pair of ponies. They take up the back 2 standing stalls and we use the box stall for one carriage and the 4 wheeler. The problem is, we need to be able to bring 2 carriages and the 4 wheeler. Our 40ft trailer isn't big enough lol! Well, it would be if we had less live in quarters. To tell you the truth, we are barley in the trailer. We spend so much time outside getting ready for shows or enjoying the outside weather. We would love a 10ft max live in spot. Just enough for a bed, small kitchen and a toilet and shower... We love our trailer, but smaller live in quarters would be better