The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    subk has a good one for this.
    "Horse has potential"

For a retired-from-upper-levels horse who was taking a friend Novice, but who had been a US Team horse at the WEG.

"you are so brave"

To me on a green bean who was most impressed by the exciting show atmosphere.

"Adequate passage, but not necessary" Was a schooling show novice test.

4 members found this post helpful.

a theme seems to be emerging here: so many upper level movements given so willingly...at the wrong time

I am loving this thread

"-2 voice - 'sh*t!' " My mare had stopped dead between X and C after the initial halt/salute to poop; I didn't realize I'd muttered that aloud while kicking as gracefully as I could. Thank goodness it was a schooling show!
    Last edited by ReveilleandRinsie; Nov. 21, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

"Judge agrees with rider" - when I had told my mare [....], you're a sh*t at the final halt. Some parts brilliant, scoring 8s & 9s other parts horrendous scoring 3s.

"Rider braver than me" on a green, but big moving, talented and powerful horse.

"Lovely tail" - with a smiley face added. Nothing else good about the test!

And this weekend, with my young horse on her 2nd time in a dressage arena at 3'2": "Lovely balanced young horse", then judge had added "I love your horse" at the end!

3 members found this post helpful.

On my brother-in-law's one and only dressage test:

"Don't give up - get help"

6 members found this post helpful.

Love this thread!

One of my favourite comments was many years ago.
    I was riding AFR's older brother Bob - a big, athletic guy with a huge sense of humour. My only hope doing the test was that 1) I wouldn't get bucked off and 2) he wouldn't jump out.
    Bob was pretty good.. only a few unscheduled caprioles, I stayed on and we stayed in the ring.
    The judge, who was one of the wonderful ex-Polish cavalry officers we were lucky to have back then, wrote 'exuberant canter depart' to describe one of the caprioles.
    Later he came up to me, patted my leg, and said "this is a WONDERFUL horse, but he is veeeeeerrrrrrrrry bad".
    I smiled and thanked him.
    That described Bob perfectly.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

6 members found this post helpful.

"More fly spray"

Boy was she right!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

"....kicking and pulling and for what?". Well Captain Obvious, to get this over with and on to the fun stuff! D'Oh!!

On my old TB who had quite the disdain for dressage, I had several interesting comments, usually expressing sympathy. I think my favorite was in FL after he had attempted to run off with me for the entire test. She wrote, "In the horse's defense, it is quite difficult to go XC in a 20x40 ring. Have fun tomorrow!"

My young horse, who is normally very good in the ring, had a melt down and screamed through his entire test at his first big dressage show this summer. The judge wrote, "Simply too distracted to show himself off today." It was a very accurate description.

4 members found this post helpful.

"Outstanding ride with a well-trained horse." Wait...I never got that comment. But if I had, it would be my favorite!

Comments I actually have gotten:

"Big horse, small ring." (You can imagine what that test was like.)

'There isn't a halt here." Spoken when I drew a complete blank riding a prelim test, and my mare halted square right in front of the judge.

"There is a halt here." Later that same test.

"Tongue." "Tongue." "Tongue." Comments on my OTTB who, guess what, always sticks out her tongue.

Gotta love dressage!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

"RELAX!" On a horse that, well, just gets faster and faster and faster the more he goes. I wasn't nervous, just trying to not hand-gallop our way though the entire test.

Also, at the conclusion of a test where I catch-rode a pony, the judge asked his breeding as I walked by to exit the ring. She was pretty floored when I said, "I have no idea, sorry, this is the first time I've ridden him!" Can't remember the score I got, but we got 4th with no XC penalties and some time in stadium! He really is a good pony.

Oops double post.

"splattered"
    when my mare tripped in a downward transition in her test. It didn't feel that bad!

1 members found this post helpful.

On a friend's very tense test that included multiple bucks and a near exit out of the arena, "Horse is....clean."

Same friend a couple of years later on the same horse in front of the same judge "Horse is still clean. Hope he's a good jumper!"
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    On my old guy, doing OI at Rebecca Farms: "Horse is unsuitable for this level." Of course we were one of only 2 double clean on XC and one of 4 to make it around the SJ with 4 faults or less.
    Sounds like my first Intermediate horse! He was an Appendix QH who hated dressage. On my lowest scoring test at Intermediate that was primarily 5s, judge's only comment was:"horse is not working in collected paces". Good thing he could jump!

Neigh (who is a blue roan appy) several times, from the same judge (because, for whatever reason, we rode in front of the same judge about half a dozen times in a row!), got "Nice young horse." Neigh was WELL into his teens by that point, but new to eventing. I think his coloring and, umm, lack of brokeness, warranted those comments (once I learned to actually RIDE dressage, we stopped getting those comments!).

"Canter needs to be 3-beat"
    On an unbalanced greenie with his own version of canter... I laughed about this one for days
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

2 members found this post helpful.

This JUST happened to me and is too funny not to share. Between school and other things I haven't show in 9-10mo. So I went to a schooling show a few weeks ago. I had a total brain fart and could not remember if I was suppose to halt at the beginning of my test. I sorta did this half stopping/half going thing. Needless to say, it was a Training level event test so no halting at the beginning. Comment on A enter working trot: hold halt longer. My trainer and I about died laughing. I tricked the judge!

Quote Originally Posted by KurPlexed View Post
    This too

Judge to me: I don't actually know how to score that test.
    Me to judge: just put me last

I can totally relate to this!!

I'm kind of bummed I don't have any funny comments. They would totally make my day!!!

I don't either. I have heard that Bruce D once, after a fractious dressage test, approached the judge and said, "Thank you, we are just passing through on our way to cross country."

I've often wanted to use that quote!

3 members found this post helpful.