The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Not as good as some of these, but my favorite: "Lovely pair. Horse should allow rider to have more influence and control." Horse is a chestnut TB mare and was not interested when I read it to her.

2 members found this post helpful.

"Perhaps knitting would be more enjoyable for you".

6 members found this post helpful.

Worst comment

"see purpose of test"

Ouch!!

I had a lazy mare that didn't want to expend any more energy than absolutely necessary. This was when I still thought I wanted to do strictly dressage.

A year later we started to event. That mare was always top 3 in dressage Novice through Prelim level.

Quote Originally Posted by tres grey View Post
    A: Shying
    F-B: Still Shying

Rinse and repeat through multiple movements on that test...
    I like this one the best!! LOL!!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

"Bold" on a canter lengthening. Not sure if that was good or bad. But we got a 7 on it.

"Inattentive" on a turn down center line at our last HT. Maresy decided she wasn't doing dressage that day. We muddled through the test and were about done. She tried to walk halfway through the turn so I was double barrel pony kicking her, as she was gawking at something outside the ring. We staggered down centerline and sprawled at X as she was trying to root the reins out of my hands... Luckily she rocked XC and SJ or I was threatening to not feed her that day.

2 members found this post helpful.

"Fussy" - in the Intro B test on my very first CT. This was as Mr. OTTB was having a freak out about being away from home (without buddies - he could have cared less for the mare who came with us!) and was tossing his head everywhere, attempting to canter/jig/spook, and moving around like a drunken sailor.

Fussy was a nice way of putting it.

"Horse needs a new hobby"

My younger gelding's first ever event, we went BN and were of course the last dressage test of the day in the upper rings, so he was by himself. It also didn't help that he had never been in a dressage ring with the little white fence, so he was convinced it would eat him. Needless to say it was not a good test, I was happy that we both survived and didn't get eliminated.

Intro A last year: "Well matched horse and rider, good way to diffuse a potentially bad situation." My gelding had attempted to bolt when he saw another horse outside the arena break free from a trailer. I yelled at him and we continued on and finished the test.

Intro A a month ago: The judge stopped every single rider after their test to give lengthy feed back. Mine was "get it through your head to use your legs!" And several other sentences in which she repeated "get it through your head!". Her comments on my score sheet "rider pulling on reins". I guess she didn't notice my horse snorting and blowing at the judge's booth every time we went by, or the monsters hiding in the bushes one one side of the ring. Last comment was my horse was "twitchy".

Turns out that the last judge didn't give anyone positive comments at all. Yet I had a handful of 6's and a 7, came in 3rd out of about ten riders. I'm still confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Freespool86 View Post

Intro A a month ago: The judge stopped every single rider after their test to give lengthy feed back. Mine was "get it through your head to use your legs!" And several other sentences in which she repeated "get it through your head!". Her comments on my score sheet "rider pulling on reins". I guess she didn't notice my horse snorting and blowing at the judge's booth every time we went by, or the monsters hiding in the bushes one one side of the ring. Last comment was my horse was "twitchy".

Turns out that the last judge didn't give anyone positive comments at all. Yet I had a handful of 6's and a 7, came in 3rd out of about ten riders. I'm still confused!
    I think I was at that show My test was about 1.5 hours AFTER my scheduled ride time due to all the lengthy comments. Although the judge was pretty kind to me and actually complimented my transitions, she made all the little kids from my barn want to cry. She told one child on a lesson pony who's only objective in life is to eat, jump, repeat that her test was "just horrible". May have been true, but at least give her something constructive to work on!

My favorite exchange of the day was to my friend on an adorable 4 y/o cob-like paint horse.
    Judge: Your horse's neck is too short.
    Friend: Yes, I know, that's how he's built.
    Judge: You're going to get in trouble for that!

Sooooo not helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    "Perhaps knitting would be more enjoyable for you".
    That's horrible. Not helpful, obviously, but totally unnecessary. Unless someone was touting themselves as a pro and had no business doing so, I don't see the point in such comments. Brutal honesty, yes (in fact, I'd prefer it). But snide stuff like this, no.

One of my favorites was when my mom was riding one of my advanced horses novice. I had retired him from the upper levels the month before. She was having a very tense test, horse was thinking that he should be doing flying lead changes, so it was not pretty. After the test the judge got out of the box and asked my mom if she was sure she wanted to go xcountry. She was worried about control issues ...mom had a perfect run xcountry. two years later riding prelim, got a 29...

My horse has a history of being exuberant in the dressage ring so we have had plenty of interesting comments:

"Very explosive today, great ride considering." I got an 8 on Rider in that test

"Cute horse with lots of personality (as evident in canter)." I actually loved this comment because it was the first time a judge actually understood that Ben's 'expressive' capriole-like canter departs are just Ben being Ben.

"Lots of energy - not always managed." Our first attempt at First Level, although I think we ended up alright with a 60-something percent.

"Try to work him a little more before test to take the edge off." If she only knew I had warmed up for 90 minutes and that test DID have the 'edge' off!

Of course my personal favorite is from this spring. My guy had had some ulcer issues that affected his confidence the previous season so for the first outing we dropped all the way to Beginner Novice. We scored what I thought was a VERY generous 49.0 and at the end of my test the judge asked me if he was always like this and would I be safe jumping him later. If anyone is interested, here is that LOVELY test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw7yBITujzU&feature=plcp
    Needless to say, his confidence was back!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyBred View Post
    I think I was at that show My test was about 1.5 hours AFTER my scheduled ride time due to all the lengthy comments. Although the judge was pretty kind to me and actually complimented my transitions, she made all the little kids from my barn want to cry. She told one child on a lesson pony who's only objective in life is to eat, jump, repeat that her test was "just horrible". May have been true, but at least give her something constructive to work on!

My favorite exchange of the day was to my friend on an adorable 4 y/o cob-like paint horse.
    Judge: Your horse's neck is too short.
    Friend: Yes, I know, that's how he's built.
    Judge: You're going to get in trouble for that!

Sooooo not helpful.
    After I left the ring I told my dad that if I had been a ten year old, I would've been in tears. I guess several other people complained and she won't be asked back next year. The only reason she was brought in was the usual judge had previous plans and couldn't do that date for the show. I have a friend on the eventing team and feedback was so bad that I think they would lose people if they used that judge again, which isn't good when its a fundraiser show for the team. I go and participate for that reason, not to be ridiculed by a judge who thought she was judging grand prix apparently and not a base level schooling show.

My gelding was a freight train that day, he's never shown in that outdoor court, always in the indoor. She also told me that my horse is inverted and had a ewe neck, I told her yes, I was aware of that as I had all I could do to keep him under me and I was just happy with the fact that we made it through in one piece!

At the last event I took my pony to, the one that convinced me something was really not right with her, we got a "repeatedly disobedient" when she bucked her way around the half trot circle before our canter. Since she picked up the correct canter lead in the correct place I really think we deserved a score better than "1." Fortunately, her free walk is quite good, so our 7 on that saved us from total disgrace

On one of the horses I ride, the one who got the "frolicking" comment, at a recent show we got "Elegant pair and well ridden test." She's got a sort of out of control tail, the reason her owner never tried making her an upper level dressage horse. On our Dancing Queen freestyle there's the comment, "Was the high tail part of the show?" There are pictures with it sticking straight up. Our overall comment: "Lovely try at fun and freedom. Keep playing and dreaming girl!"

Hey look, someone wrote an article about our thread Nice Braids

I know this thread is dated but makes for fun reading.

My favorite comment from a judge:

"Loss of forward motion"

Was doing my trot circle at A when horse stopped dead, staring at the horse eating jump standard innocently leaning against the indoor wall outside the ring. After I convinced her it wasn't going to attack, she sidled past and we completed okay, don't remember final score.

Other comments - "Nice pair", "elegant pair" - right, a 14.2 hand thickly built mustang with no neck, looking like a small draft and me with my no doubt red face and thunder thighs. Oh, and "cute horse"
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Favorite written comment- novice test on my 17+++h former field hunter when I was 15 years old and maybe 5'3"-- "nice horse for a grown man."

Favorite verbal comment- after my first test with Ms. B when intro 1 ended up being our warmup (oops, late): "I really like the way you pat her when something goes right."
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

I had a ride-review a few years ago with my OTTB who I'd worked with myself. We did Training Test B (the one with a lengthening, I believe). In my 'class' was another rider and fellow competitor of mine whose parents had generously bought him a $70k~ horse.. very nice horse. I wasn't happy to be in his class with my 0$ TB. The judge called my horse "quirky and talented, great pair" which was a first. The comment at the end for my competitor was priceless: "nice horse, rider will catch up eventually"

Definitely boosted my ego (';
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

"That wasn't really an 8"

Way back in the dark ages there was a HT at Camp Olympic in MD. I think the judge was Gen Burton, but it might have been Col Ed. I was second to go.

Anyway, at the end of the test, he called me over to the judges booth and said something to the effect of:
    "I gave you an 8 for your final halt, but it wasn't really an "8". The first rider's test wasn't very good and I was trying not to be too hard on her, so I gave her a "7" for her final halt. Yours was better, so I had to give you an "8". But it wasn't really an "8" halt."
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Saw a friend's comment "well..that sucked..."
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg