The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    It sounds to me like Doug tried his damndest and that people stepped up.
    But those people did not step up enough to purchase the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    But those people did not step up enough to purchase the horse.
    Again, the EN reports intimated that the money was there but that the owner made a decision to go elsewhere.

And again, there's nothing inherently wrong with an owner choosing to whom to sell. The highest offer might not be the best situation in the owner's eyes, for any number of reasons.

But in that case, it's not really fair to blame 'americans' or Doug's supporters for not stepping up, because they did.

JER, you may be right, but you just as likely may be putting too much faith in the EN report being accurate and unbiased. That has not been my experience with the "news reporting" on that site, thinking of another story involving the threat of another popular rider's horse changing ownership.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    JER, you may be right, but you just as likely may be putting too much faith in the EN report being accurate and unbiased.
    I'm not putting any 'faith' in accuracy or inaccuracy. I'm simply stating what EN reported. LesleyGrant is putting forth another version, that Doug Payne and his connections didn't/couldn't come up with the money for the horse. Both things can't be true.

Again, I'll reiterate my preference for less rumour and more straightforwardness in these matters.

(Also, I have no idea what other horse/rider/sale hoax you're talking about.)

I am now very confused, if they did step up, and they did have the money, then why didn't they buy RO? I think the most straightforward version is that the horse sold to the highest "bidder." It seems like LesleyGrant's version is the easiest for my brain to comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    JER, you may be right, but you just as likely may be putting too much faith in the EN report being accurate and unbiased. That has not been my experience with the "news reporting" on that site.
    And full of spin.

You know, the only ones who know the entire story are Doug and Patti S. Speculation based on intimations in EN get no one any closer to knowing what really happened. Suffice it to say it was a painful loss to Doug and Running Order, wherever he lands, has room to go higher.

There are economic profits that are beyond the scope of simple accounting profits...

The Springsteen's are no longer novice horse owners. Perhaps they were thinking that WFP might be the best rider, and therefore suitor, for the horse. Speculation can be fun Maybe they had a couple riders in mind for the horse here in the US, and who they had in mind was occupied with other mounts, or not interested due to the perceived lack of talent or whatever Doug mentioned about the horse.

DP: "Moving forward, I need to be mounted on better quality horses."

Hey, if the upcoming coach is agreeing with this, isn't the horse going to face a uphill climb to get on teams here in the USA? Couldn't this sentiment have annoyed the Springsteens enough to favor an overseas purchase? Send it to someone who appreciates it, and will give it the best chance to get to the top.

Or none of the above. Maybe one of WFP's children will take over the ride

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post

DP: "Moving forward, I need to be mounted on better quality horses."
    I think that many people miss took this statement. I've heard a dozen ULRs come to this conclusion and make similar statements. It likely wasn't a put down of RO but a realization that at this stage of his riding career that if he is aiming for a team spot he has to be smarter about the use of his limited time. He needs a barn full of RO like horses. Not just one RO that he could lose to injury or an owner's choice. So he is realizing that all the horses he puts his time into need to be top quality. Not just having one or two stars in his barn.

It isn't a new realization at all. And every rider who I have known riding at these levels comes to this realization. The ones that find a way to be better mounted in their entire string, are the ones who succeed long term. And there are several different ways they make it happen.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Yup! When a professional rider gets to a certain stage in his/her career, it becomes a false economy to take on the type of horses they used to whilst making a name for themselves on the ladder to the top levels. It will do his career no good to waste his time on horses that do not have "team" ability. I know many riders who would never even dream of sitting on horses that they used to ride. It just is not worth it. RO may have been his ticket to the big time, but he may just find that although RO was good for him "at the time", he may, in fact, be a horse that is a distraction from other horses that will take him to the place he wants to be. It is all a learning curve and he should come away from this experience far better at the business side of the horse business. Doug will land on his feet.
    Last edited by snoopy; Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM.

Again, the EN reports intimated that the money was there but that the owner made a decision to go elsewhere.
    Doubt it. The person with the money got the horse, which is how it is supposed to work.
    Wasn't the horse for sale it's entire career?

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    Doubt it. The person with the money got the horse, which is how it is supposed to work.
    Wasn't the horse for sale it's entire career?

If I had a horse sold or nearly so and someone came up at the last minute waving money saying they have it now stop the sale...I would not stop the sale as I had a sale in progress and to stop the sale would be dishonorable if not exactly dishonest. I can envision a lot of scenarios where I would be uninterested in stopping a good sale at the last minute even if the former rider were the person. Selling horses is hard enough and to try to please everyone is impossible. Time to move on for everyone. There are many good horses out there and that is where the energy needs to be. Doesn't seem like anyone did anything wrong.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you stating this as fact or opinion?

IME, money is one reason but often not the sole reason for a particular sale. Sometimes, there is more than one entity with the money. Many other factors weigh in, including and especially relationships.

columbus made some good points on this topic, including that there's nothing wrong with it, except the outcome can result in disappointment -- and occasionally, hurt feelings -- to some prospective buyers.

But snoops - we haven't done a particularly good job of evaluating horses or late, have we? Perhaps some of the horses we 'used to ride' are the types we should be riding. Maybe they will at least pass the jog.

Both

From my understanding, Doug had ample time to try and buy the horse, and considering the owners had no interest in owning an event horse, he could have pulled together something to buy him in the four years it was with him. It was "cheap" as far as 4* horses go.
    Purely speculation on my part, but I am curious who set the price? Was it Doug?

There were several people (Americans) interested in buying the horse. They were all given a shot at buying it before a certain deadline or it was being sold to WFP. I was made aware of the deadline as Im sure many others were as well. I see nothing nefarious about it.
    Doug is a phenomenal talent and an enterprising dude, he will have lovely horses to ride.

3 members found this post helpful.

Both

From my understanding, Doug had ample time to try and buy the horse, and considering the owners had no interest in owning an event horse, he could have pulled together something to buy him in the four years it was with him. It was "cheap" as far as 4* horses go.
    Purely speculation on my part, but I am curious who set the price? Was it Doug?

There were several people (Americans) interested in buying the horse. They were all given a shot at buying it before a certain deadline or it was being sold to WFP. I was made aware of the deadline as Im sure many others were as well. I see nothing nefarious about it.
    Doug is a phenomenal talent and an enterprising dude, he will have lovely horses to ride.

Fairweather speaks much sense here. Thank you!

Looks like an American did buy Running Order...

Eventing Nation

Horse and Hound
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyGal08 View Post
    Looks like an American did buy Running Order.
    Not sure if that makes things better or worse. Interesting that a good American owner has multiple horses with a rider across the pond. Owning a horse that's based in the US, with a US rider, too much of a hassle - ?

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Not sure if that makes things better or worse. Interesting that a good American owner has multiple horses with a rider across the pond. Owning a horse that's based in the US, with a US rider, too much of a hassle - ?
    Ask Jane Clarke!