The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Running Order sold to WFP

Via twitter from John at EN
    "In a convoluted story that never quite made it onto @eventingnation we've confirmed that Running Order was sold to WFP in Oct"
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

I guess he has decided against retiring in the near future.

Well I feel better. I thought he had plenty of talent, will be interested to see what WFP does with him.

I still maintain that this is an odd purchase, perhaps even more so than if it were Andrew Hoy as rumored before. What does WFP need with RO? Is the goal to have another horse to run at Rolex to go for the Grand Slam? I wouldn't have though RO would have been competitive enough on the flat to be in contention for a win. I looked at WFP's website and they don't have him listed. Nothing has changed on the FEI site.

Although I'm sure it's no consolation to loss of his first top horse, when he reflects on it later in life, objectively speaking, Doug should feel proud of the fact that he developed an eventer from scratch that one of the top 3 riders in the world wanted to ride enough to buy it.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    Although I'm sure it's no consolation to loss of his first top horse, when he reflects on it later in life, objectively speaking, Doug should feel proud of the fact that he developed an eventer from scratch that one of the top 3 riders in the world wanted to ride enough to buy it.
    Amen.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I didn't realize WFP rode very many of his own horses. Did he actually buy the horse or did someone buy it for him to ride?

I sounds like RO was bought for him to ride by supporters. I assume he was involved in the selection of the horse as WFP doesn't strike me as someone who rides horses he doesn't want to ride. It will be interesting to see if the dressage scores go down significantly because DP is not exactly a slouch in the first phase.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    I didn't realize WFP rode very many of his own horses.
    I think you meant to say 'own', rather than 'rode'? WFP does do a fair amount of riding.

WFP doesn't usually own horses. I think he owned one of them, maybe Moon Man.

There's always a possibility that "bought by connections of WFP" might mean "to be ridden by a stable rider or student of WFP" and not WFP himself.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

1 members found this post helpful.

Then there's this from EN:

there are rumors of flip-flopping from former ownership and possible involvement by the former US coach.
    I have no idea what this means, except that it must be interesting.

More from John via twitter:
    "More on RO from knowledgeable source: "I think it's important to know, that every effort was made to keep [RO] here in this country..under and American rider, and the owner chose to go another direction."

...interesting...
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

Quote Originally Posted by JmpR_1 View Post
    "More on RO from knowledgeable source: "I think it's important to know, that every effort was made to keep [RO] here in this country..under and American rider, and the owner chose to go another direction."

...interesting...

What is so "interesting" about it? So the horse was sold. So the horse was sold to another country. So the ex coach could have been involved in the sale. It happens all the time folks. Just another day at the eventing office. I think, perhaps, because it is usual practice for horses to be bought in this manner from outside the USA and then imported to the States and not so usual for it to happen the other way round. The horse was for sale. It appears the current rider was not able to secure the funds and a foreign connection was. Horses change countries, riders, and owners with regular frequency in Europe. There is likely to be little "under the carpet", why bother to look?!

Heck, WFP was given a ride on a Mary King horse. Business is business. And that was an owner decision, no money exchanged...

Really curious to hear about this horses future. WFP gets top dressage scores out of TB's, the man dropped a rein & still kicked a$$. Methinks his ability to obtain true connection is masterful, and partly comes with age.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    What is so "interesting" about it? So the horse was sold. So the horse was sold to another country. So the ex coach could have been involved in the sale. It happens all the time folks. Just another day at the eventing office. I think, perhaps, because it is usual practice for horses to be bought in this manner from outside the USA and then imported to the States and not so usual for it to happen the other way round. The horse was for sale. It appears the current rider was not able to secure the funds and a foreign connection was. Horses change countries, riders, and owners with regular frequency in Europe. There is likely to be little "under the carpet", why bother to look?!
    I find it interesting that the efforts were made to keep the horse in the states, yet the OWNER, aka Springsteen's, chose another route. Yes, horses are part of a business at that level, and at many other levels. However, after very recently witnessing a trainer's heartbreak over losing a horse that was purchased FOR HIM to ride/train up as a possible Olympic nod in the future because the owner changed their mind, I find it a bit sad that people who are financially able to supply these riders with the quality horses that can rise through the levels sell the horse from underneath a trainer who brought the horse up from practically nothing because of a good deal. Yes they may have offered the chance of a syndicate, but I still think it sucks.

Like I said I know it's a business. But personally I think it would show more character to stick with the trainer, *especially* the ones who brought the horse up.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Heck, WFP was given a ride on a Mary King horse. Business is business. And that was an owner decision, no money exchanged...
    If you're talking about the stallion Chilli Morning, that's not an accurate retelling. Chilli Morning was produced to 4* level by Nick Gauntlett. At that point, the owners -- who had bought the horse with the Olympics in mind -- sent the horse to Mary King. Mary King competed him very briefly but decided he was too strong for her. She suggested to the owners that they try him with WFP.

FWIW, I don't think there's much newsiness in owners sending a horse to a different rider. It's the owner's horse. The owner decides who rides it. And I personally don't care at all about entities like nations when it comes to horses. But when I see a half-told story like this one with RO, I can't help thinking the horse world could use fewer rumours and more truth.

Taken directly from WFP's website:
    "Chilli was produced by Nick Gauntlett. Mary King had taken over the ride at the start of 2012 but following a disappointing round at Belton in March I was asked by Chris Stone if I would take Chilli on."

So, your story may be correct, she could have suggested to Chris that he'd be a better ride for WFP. However, it does not exactly read like it was Mary's idea

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    If you're talking about the stallion Chilli Morning, that's not an accurate retelling. Chilli Morning was produced to 4* level by Nick Gauntlett. At that point, the owners -- who had bought the horse with the Olympics in mind -- sent the horse to Mary King. Mary King competed him very briefly but decided he was too strong for her. She suggested to the owners that they try him with WFP.

So, your story may be correct, she could have suggested to Chris that he'd be a better ride for WFP. However, it does not exactly read like it was Mary's idea
    When the horse first went to WFP, Mary King was quoted in Eventing magazine as saying it was at her suggestion to send him to William.

goodmorning, the story was widely reported as per my post, including on WFP's website and in a series of reports in Horse & Hound (here and here).

The rider who was in the Doug Payne position was Chilli Morning's original rider, Nick Gauntlett. More about that here.

good ol snoopy voice of reason lol.
    doubt Frank was jumping up and down when karen had someone buy Mr. M for her.. and i have no idea but i bet someone was sad when mystery whisper was bought.. i'm sure for someone out there he was their dream horse...
    how fabulous that someone from europe is interested in an american 'developed' horse!!! americans have been buying horses out from under european riders for ages lol (eventers and show jumpers). thing is.. if rumours are true on pricing of dp's horse.. it was a very cheap 4* horse to be bought.. problem is not that WFP had someone that could buy it from him but why didn't americans rally to buy it for doug? the horse was for sale.. just like any other commodity. I assume dp got paid to ride the horse for all those years.. if not.. that is a lesson to be learnt in that alone .. get paid for work you do.. but assuming he got paid.. if the horse was for sale, if you want to keep horses with your favorite riders step up and join syndicates/become owners/etc.. I'm sure springsteins have tons and tons of money.. but keeping up with their daughter's taste in showjumpers would not be cheap.. i think they bought the UK showjumper for her yes? well RO probably paid for 1/2 a hoof of that..

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LesleyGrant View Post
    problem is not that WFP had someone that could buy it from him but why didn't americans rally to buy it for doug? the horse was for sale.. just like any other commodity. I assume dp got paid to ride the horse for all those years.. if not.. that is a lesson to be learnt in that alone .. get paid for work you do.. but assuming he got paid.. if the horse was for sale, if you want to keep horses with your favorite riders step up and join syndicates/become owners/etc.
    LesleyGrant, if you read through the previous posts on this thread, you would see that what you identify as the problem was not, per the EN reports, the problem.

and:

Doug sought to syndicate Running Order this summer with considerable success, and that the syndicate was unable to purchase Running Order due to "unforeseen circumstances."
    It sounds to me like Doug tried his damndest and that people stepped up.