The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yep, another saddle thread; It pains me to ask but Suggestions are Appreciated.

Need a few suggestions before I get too deep into the saddle trial merry-go-round and spend a small fortune in shipping with no results.
    I have a hard to fit TB - no withers, flat across the back and fairly straight and level from wither to croup. Takes anything from a wide to almost an XW. Key is she really needs a flat panel and a fairly straight tree, a low(ish) pommel so I don't have a huge parking lot under the pommel that you could park a semi in. I'd like an adjustable tree since she is inbetween sizes. Also, I don't want to spend a fortune. Synthetic's are okay, leather better. Just tried a M. Toulouse Diana Pro with adjustable tree - tree and panels were a good fit but could not adjust the pommel to fit and have even contact under the points/front of the panels. Tried the Bates Dressage, that didn't work on many levels, had a wide gullet installed but the front of the saddle was popped up, if you pushed down on it the back of the saddle popped up (a lot!), it was like a rocking chair.
    Thought about trying the Bates Wide; however, my concern is that it might be too wide in all aspects for her and may have some of the same issues as the Bates Dressage. Also looking at the Thorowgood T8 Broadback or the Kent and Masters S. Also, finding tack shops that have an 18" seat in stock! They are all happy to send 17.5 to try but that costs me a lot in postage sending it to me and me sending it back and it's hard to get a good feel for a saddle when the seat size is too small.
    Any suggestions on saddles to consider would be really helpful!

Look at Duett - they are flatter front to back, and have the hoop tree that might be a better shape for the "wide across the back" shape.