The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoof Question: What does it mean?

What does it mean if the horse is 'higher on the inside' on his fronts? I'm taking it to mean he probably toes out a bit when he goes so it wears more on the inside. Does that make sense?

I would've asked the farrier today when he mentioned it but I had to get out and get to work, plus he had about ten other horses to do.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

My mare is "higher on the inside" but she is pigeon-toed,which is toeing IN, not out. I would think if the horse toed out, they would wear the inside wall more.

My mare toes in, therefore, wears off the outside, doesn't wear the inside of the toe.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Okay, so I understood 'higher on the inside' to mean it was worn more because the stuff on the outside would be longer thus the inside would be higher off the ground. So that's not the right line of thinking then?

Higher on the inside means that the the inside wall (The ones facing each other) is longer than the walls on the outside. Could be on account of the last trimming job, or on account of your horse's confo causing uneven wear.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    What does it mean if the horse is 'higher on the inside' on his fronts? I'm taking it to mean he probably toes out a bit when he goes so it wears more on the inside. Does that make sense?

I would've asked the farrier today when he mentioned it but I had to get out and get to work, plus he had about ten other horses to do.
    Time to be moved to the "Horse Care" section! You would get more answers there.

Okay, so it's "higher" when you're looking at the hoof pulled up to trim (which, duh, makes sense), not when it's standing on the ground. Right?

Okay, so it's "higher" when you're looking at the hoof pulled up to trim (which, duh, makes sense), not when it's standing on the ground. Right?
    No.

Take a ruler and measure from the ground to the hairline on the outside (lateral) wall. Now do the same measurement on the inside (medial) wall.

If the horse is higher on the inside, the height of the inside (medial) wall will be greater than the outside (lateral) side.

The measurements will be the same whether the hoof is on the ground or in the air.

I would bet that as your horse grows more hoof, the difference between the lateral & medial measurements will be increasingly greater, assuming your horse is wearing away more wall on the lateral side than the medial.
    Last edited by tarynls; Nov. 20, 2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: addt'l info

http://www.holisticequine.com/new/ho...paint_lg.shtml

If you look on this site, with which I have NO affiliation, you can see a front view of a hoof that is higher on the inside. It is the picture of "Right Fore, Front View."

Further down the page, you can see after trimming how the balance was improved somewhat, and the coronary band is now closer to level.

http://www.farrierproducts.com/farri...rim_V10I2.html

On this page there is a diagram that shows what a level coronary band looks like. If a horse has uneven walls where one is longer than the other, this coronary band will not be level.

Okay, so I understood 'higher on the inside' to mean it was worn more because the stuff on the outside would be longer thus the inside would be higher off the ground. So that's not the right line of thinking then?
    Higher on the inside means more/longer hoof wall on the inside. So when the horse is standing, the coronary band will also be higher on the inside because there's more hoof below it. Prior user posted good photo references of this.

I see where you are trying to go (if the hoof was longer on the outside, the inside would be 'hovering' off the ground or higher off the ground, but that's not how it actually works.)