The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tiny white dots appearing on solid colored horses ? ?

This is the second time, first was a plain bay, now a chestnut, that a solid colored horse has suddenly had a multitude of tiny white dots appear out of nowwhere. All over the body even on the back of ears ! Then they go away after a month or two - very weird. Is this indicative of anything wrong ? Someone mentioned a liver/ or kidney prob, possibly solved by adding vitamin E and selenium to the diet ? Anyone else experienced this ? What was the cause ? Both horses are completely heathly and in good weight etc.

Probably Birdcatcher spots--haven't reviewed the "current" wisdom but I believe they are (or were) considered random and meaningless.
    Click here before you buy.

A chestnut mare at our barn exhibits quite a few of these spots that come and go randomly. The owner was very relieved to find out that they were benign and actually had a name (Birdcatcher spots) to go along with the condition.

When things are particularly dull at the barn, one can always spent the time counting these spots.

My chestnut TB mare has been displaying these for the last few years. I don't usually notice them in the summer when she has shed out, but when her coat gets longer, and they are in different spots. She has never had alot of them just a few in random areas.

Solid Appys will sometimes get these as they get older.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Birdcatcher spots

horses with clyde in their background sometimes get these

I've got a chestnut OTTB who came with white spots on one side of the girth area, behind the right elbow. I wasn't sure at first if they were caused by a poorly-fitting girth or rubbing at the track, but he's also started developing other Birdcatcher spots in places where no tack ever touches. It looks like the girth-area ones might be permanent, but we'll have to see about the others as they just started showing up this summer.

Here's a link to the Birdcatcher spots plus a few other patterns - most are genetic but there is also an environmental cause: http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/tbcolor3.html (scroll down)
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

My friend's chestnut horses used to get spots. We finally correlated it to the use of Alushield spray. The spots would go away, he would get a cut that was treated with Alushield and the spots would come back. Since this occurred on both of her chestnut horses, that is how we came to our conclusion. The product never did this on my bay mare. Go figure?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

They're common in TBs as well. Named after a thoroughbred racehorse that had them. They may disappear over the years too.

My clyde/tb cross gets them They come and go with the seasons, it seems.
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

My horse had them summer 2011 but only had like 2 spots this past summer.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

My liver chestnut Morgan/Welsh pony got them around age 6, had a ton for a while, and now at 13 they have almost all faded. My dark bay TB grew in her summer coat this year at age 8 and had a bunch pop out. I don't think they are indicative of any problem or diet deficiency. Just Birdcatcher spots, and they look kind of cool

I know people have mentioned birdcatchers spots...

but also a sign of copper deficiency is loss of color pigmentation. (that is usually on skin though). don't know if it would cause a problem with hair pigmentation.

just wanted to add.
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

Yes, a copper deficiency can cause that too, but if Cu is in such limited amount to cause that, you're probably seeing other problems too.