The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does it exist? Help me find the perfect saddle.

It seems like every saddle have ever tried meets one or a couple of these criteria - I'm looking for a saddle that meets them all.

I'll get right to the point. This is what I need:

An XW tree - mare is wearing a 36cm Duett Fidelio right now and it fits HER perfectly. The mare has a perfectly rounded back and average withers. She needs a saddle with flatter panels.

However, what *I* need (that the Fidelio lacks) is this:

A seat on the shallower side.

A slightly forward flap that will work with a looooong thigh bone.

Last but not least - I would really like to stay right at or under $1000. I know that means I will probably have to look for something that I can find used.

Is there anything out there that would answer my prayers?

Has anyone tried the Thorowgood broad back model?
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

Were are you located? My friend has a XW Anky saddle for sale with longer forward flaps. The panels are quite straight and are wool flocked.
    1k.
    She's in Montréal, Canada.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am in Des Moines, Iowa. I'm not sure what shipping would run but I would be interested in finding out more! Do you know what the seat size is? I need an 18".

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Were are you located? My friend has a XW Anky saddle for sale with longer forward flaps. The panels are quite straight and are wool flocked.
    1k.
    She's in Montréal, Canada.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

Have you looked at the Smith Worthington Mystic? I'm not sure if you can get it in forward flaps, but it meets the rest of your criteria.
    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=158

I tried the Thorowgood broadback, and it worked well on my flat backed Arab. But, the seat size ran small (or at least it felt that way to me) and the largest I could find was an 18". An 18" works for me in a lot of brands (I'm 5'6", 30" inseam), but felt way too small in the Thorowgood.

Your mileage may vary, and I'm sure you know that Trumbull Mountain and Dover carry them if you'd like to give them a try. I don't think they have a forward flap option.

FYI - I also had to size up in the Smith Worthington Danzig, which is the "cousin" to the Mystic. I did get forward flaps on my Danzig, so it might be worth contacting Smith Worthington, and seeing what options are available on the Mystic.

Hmm, tricky question. Tricky tricky tricky.

It's hard to advise on width for a horse that's in the 36cm Duett Fidelio. That's a very unique limbo zone among wide-load horses. Because that's an A-shaped saddle tree , SOME horses who wear a 36cm Fidelio can also comfortably wear the XW gullet in the Wintec/Bates/Collegiate gullet system and the Pessoa/Anky/Tekna/Ovation gullet system. But if your horse is just a shade past those widths, then the list of options under $1000 shrinks considerably--and once you add in "shallow seat" and "needs accommodation for long leg + 18" seat," now we've got a very short list indeed.

IF your horse is in the neighborhood of these XW changeable gullets in most systems, then the Wintec Pro, Collegiate Convertible Intellect, and Tekna S Line Dressage saddles should make your list. For that matter, if your horse is in that XW-Wintec-Pessoa-type neighborhood, PM me. I'll probably make your day.

But if your horse has just barely blown past that, there's not a lot of saddles in the sub-$1000 price range that will go wider, and there's even fewer with shallow seats (which are, sadly, not in fashion these days among dressage riders.) But you're right that the Thorowgood T6/T8 would be a great saddle to look at if you prefer to buy new. Hastilow USA in Pennsylvania could tell you more about them and possibly provide you a demo, as could Trumbull Mountain.

You might also keep your eyes peeled for suitably wide, shallow-seated Passier; those can be adjusted up to two tree sizes in either direction, but you'd have to start with one that was wide enough to begin with. Some Passiers are more curvy than others, so be aware of which model you're looking at.

If you run into one, you could also consider the 18.5" Smith Worthington Mystic dressage (or other Smith Worthington dressage saddles, for that matter!). They have fully adjustable trees and can be cranked wide enough for your horse. Smith Worthington will adjust it for about $180, which includes the cost of return shipping back to you. I'd call the seat depth on the Mystic closer to medium-deep, but on the shallower side of medium if that makes any sense. These are rarer than hen's teeth on the used market (in 18.5" at least) but if you can find one, they're a lot of saddle for the money.

Best of luck with your search!

Thank you! I will check out that model. It sounds promising!

I have purchased from Trumbull Mountain before. She is great to work with. I may go ahead and reach out to her for advice too.

I have been feeling like I might need to size up to a 19" if I can find one. I am 5'7" and am mostly leg with a shorter torso. Sounds like it might be a dealbreaker with the Thorowgood.

I really appreciate your input!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    Have you looked at the Smith Worthington Mystic? I'm not sure if you can get it in forward flaps, but it meets the rest of your criteria.
    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=158

I tried the Thorowgood broadback, and it worked well on my flat backed Arab. But, the seat size ran small (or at least it felt that way to me) and the largest I could find was an 18". An 18" works for me in a lot of brands (I'm 5'6", 30" inseam), but felt way too small in the Thorowgood.

Your mileage may vary, and I'm sure you know that Trumbull Mountain and Dover carry them if you'd like to give them a try. I don't think they have a forward flap option.

FYI - I also had to size up in the Smith Worthington Danzig, which is the "cousin" to the Mystic. I did get forward flaps on my Danzig, so it might be worth contacting Smith Worthington, and seeing what options are available on the Mystic.

Quote Originally Posted by TaliaCristianna View Post
    It seems like every saddle have ever tried meets one or a couple of these criteria - I'm looking for a saddle that meets them all.

I'll get right to the point. This is what I need:

An XW tree - mare is wearing a 36cm Duett Fidelio right now and it fits HER perfectly. The mare has a perfectly rounded back and average withers. She needs a saddle with flatter panels.

However, what *I* need (that the Fidelio lacks) is this:

A seat on the shallower side.

A slightly forward flap that will work with a looooong thigh bone.

Last but not least - I would really like to stay right at or under $1000. I know that means I will probably have to look for something that I can find used.

Is there anything out there that would answer my prayers?

Has anyone tried the Thorowgood broad back model?
    My fjordX was shaped similar to that and I bought a County Competior WXW that fit him and me great. It didn't fit my AQHA mare and she was even wider than him and a different shape. The County, like the Fidelio, is an A shaped tree. My mare needed a rounder tree and different panels.

I have the County out on consignment in a saddle shop. I ended up with a different saddle for my mare. I also have a long thigh.

I used to have a Duett Largo. It was too much of a hoop tree for the fjordX as he got older. It would have fit my mare better, but the stirrup bar wasn't in the best place for me.

I tried Wintecs, and a synthetic similar to the Thorogood that Dover used to have and a Thorogood fixed tree way back. I would pass on those.

Message me if you want more info on the County.

fwiw, my no wither, tank-o Connemara fits really well into an XW Stubben Tristan. and i got mine from their website for 1200 new i think.

The saddle is AWESOME. and luckily they are having their big yearly sale right now so you might head over to their website and see what they have....

Those of you that are hinting to the fact that you might have a suitable saddle for sale - please PM me with the details! Thanks so much for all the thoughtful responses!