The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Julie Winkle clinic, what to expect?

So I get to take my trainers 1.30M horse in a Julie Winkle clinic this coming weekend. What kinds of things should I expect to be doing? Those of you who have ridden in her jumper sections any helpful tips to pass along?
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

I'll be there in the 2'9" section with my new guy. I'd love to know what to expect too.

I rode in a Julie Winkle clinic a few years ago, it was good experience. She was quite positive in her style and seemed to have a lot of well rounded exercises and information that were not specific to one particular ring. She worked very individually with everyone, addressing weaknesses in a way that one felt real progress by the end of the clinic. I would go again.

This again, was a few years ago so YMMV, but I hope you get as much out of it as I did.

I have ridden with Julie many times over the last three years, she is great! Are you riding in the clinic at Quiet Rein? I am attending her clinic in December at Encanto Valley Farm.

Julie is great at changing up her groups and focusing on what each horse/rider combination needs. She incorporates quite a bit of flat work into the beginning of each section. Expect a small amount of no stirrup work if you are in a higher jumper section. She has always incorporated common movements including haunches/shoulder in, counter-canter, small circles, shortening and lengthening, etc.

As for jumping, she usually works with a grid or turning exercise that will benefit each horse the first day and then will do coursework on the last day. Sometimes she will incorporate judging into the coursework, which is really enlightening for the equitation riders.

Quote Originally Posted by NotAtTheBarn View Post
    I have ridden with Julie many times over the last three years, she is great! Are you riding in the clinic at Quiet Rein? I am attending her clinic in December at Encanto Valley Farm.
    I will be at the one at Clearview 11/24-25. Thanks for the great info! Hoping to make it down to watch part of the one in December.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Where is the clinic?

The Skafgaards are hosting it: http://skafgaardstables.com/Skafgaar...s/Welcome.html up at Cathy Youell Langston's place in Clearview.

1 members found this post helpful.

I will have to swing by! Anyone know how much to audit?

I have no idea but I'm sure Meg and Sandy will have an answer. They are very accommodating.

Emailed Meg last night. Auditing is free! Now I just have to figure out when I can go! Hopefully I will see you guys there.

Do you think I could get away with wearing colored breeches like TS Charcoal or should I stick with tan?

Colored breeches are definitely okay! I have worn blue, green, grey, brown, and tan (matched nicely with sweaters and polos) and she has never been offended by my outfits.

Well, my clinic day didn't get off to the greatest start. My freshly-clipped horse was blowing and snorting like a dragon when we walked into the arena. After trotting 1 1/2 laps, he bolted and bucked. As I was in the process of exiting the saddle, something popped in my left knee. I did get back on and ride for the whole session, but it hurt and definitely wasn't my best riding. It hurt to put my heel down, so I rode "light" in the tack and kept coming loose. I didn't fall off again, but it was close. I'm not sure if I will ride tomorrow or not (Mr Kestrel votes not, but I will decide in the a.m.).

As for the clinic, we worked at the walk on a loose rein to relax our horses. We practiced the progression of aides "allow, ask, tell, then demand" at different gaits. We then trotted over piles of poles, then cantered. By then she knew our weaknesses . We practiced trotting into the line, walking through cavaletti and then trotting or cantering out, and stopping cleanly. Working one at a time, we cantered through the line (a 3 to a 4) then jumping the center jump across the diagonal and then again on the opposite diagonal. Everyone did well. There were several young or green horses that were pretty impressive. We also had to demonstrate the correct way of shortening our stirrups and checking our girths.

When the next group came in, my horse again turned into the snorting dragon. I jumped off and hobbled up to the barn where he's spending the night, with him jigging and dragging me along. And he's such a good boy at home....

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Well, my clinic day didn't get off to the greatest start. My freshly-clipped horse was blowing and snorting like a dragon when we walked into the arena. After trotting 1 1/2 laps, he bolted and bucked. As I was in the process of exiting the saddle, something popped in my left knee. I did get back on and ride for the whole session, but it hurt and definitely wasn't my best riding. It hurt to put my heel down, so I rode "light" in the tack and kept coming loose. I didn't fall off again, but it was close. I'm not sure if I will ride tomorrow or not (Mr Kestrel votes not, but I will decide in the a.m.).

As for the clinic, we worked at the walk on a loose rein to relax our horses. We practiced the progression of aides "allow, ask, tell, then demand" at different gaits. We then trotted over piles of poles, then cantered. By then she knew our weaknesses . We practiced trotting into the line, walking through cavaletti and then trotting or cantering out, and stopping cleanly. Working one at a time, we cantered through the line (a 3 to a 4) then jumping the center jump across the diagonal and then again on the opposite diagonal. Everyone did well. There were several young or green horses that were pretty impressive. We also had to demonstrate the correct way of shortening our stirrups and checking our girths.

When the next group came in, my horse again turned into the snorting dragon. I jumped off and hobbled up to the barn where he's spending the night, with him jigging and dragging me along. And he's such a good boy at home....
    Sorry you had a tough ride! My guy was a bit of a bugger about the collected ground poll work. Its hard to collect a big 17.3 body to fit 5 strides in a jumping 3. Once we went to extending he was super and a dream to the jumps. Hoping the course work tomorrow will keep him more interested and we continue to learn more great things. Did Julie explain in your group the ideal way to jump a vertical and the different types of oxer? I found that very interesting, making us focus a lot on the location of our horses arch over the jump and its relation to your distance in the line. I know my group was the only one to jump the liverpool but that was a great bit of knowledge too.
    Hope you are feeling up to riding tomorrow!

She explained about distances to angled jumps but that was about it. I was in the tiny fence group, so we didn't even have an oxer. If we had, I would have gotten jumped off for sure!

I was bummed! I didn't know the clinic was shorter today. I wanted to show up for the large hunters but only caught an hour of the jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoAmor View Post
    I was bummed! I didn't know the clinic was shorter today. I wanted to show up for the large hunters but only caught an hour of the jumpers.
    I thought our jumper group was pretty interesting. Julie Was really great about accommodating the two 1.10m horses/riders and keeping the course challenging for myself and the other 1.20m horse/rider combo

I was pleasantly surprised at how accommodating she was as well. Also, she was very encouraging to the woman that hadnt jumped in a while and needed the rails dropped.

I think the thing I liked best was how she explained why the rubs happened during the course. That was pretty interesting to me. Unfortunately I was sitting down in the corner of the arena so I didn't always hear every word. Also, the counting strides as jump off times. I was happy for myself because I was never more than one stride off.