The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dust off that ark, PNW'ers! Who else is under water?

Just watched the back half of our pasture go under, thanks to our "seasonal" creek. Some of the neighbors downstream from us don't do as much in the way of clearing and upkeep and it does, indeed, back up when it storms. I've watched it rise over two feet in the last 36 hours...

The horses are hiding inside, safely for now. The neighbors said they've never seen the water up past the pear tree, which is about 15' before the stalls from the creek, so here's hoping they are right!

Stay safe!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

This is our driveway...our house is on the other side of that tree stand.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8&l=655b3f8925

And, as of a few minutes ago, our pasture: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=04f4cfeb17

Thankfully we live on a hill so the worst we are dealing with is a soppy muddy paddock and a big mud pit in the duck yard. The ducks, of course, are thrilled with this development. DH just showed me some pictures of our small downtown area though and it looks pretty well under water.

According to the weather forecast, it's not supposed to stop raining until mid-afternoon on.... Wednesday.

This was down in Shelton and the salmon are crossing the road around Hoodsport.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    This was down in Shelton and the salmon are crossing the road around Hoodsport.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf
    Holy high water!!! Can those horse get out of the water? I'm in northeastern Oregon, we are getting rain off and on, it's not too bad. But this wind is terrible. Yesterday and today has been non-stop wind coupled with very high gusts. Bleah.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Miserable here today--rain came in around 2pm hard, on top of the last 2 days of rain. News said 3" today from midnight to 4pm!! We live on a hill, but our pastures regularly pond as soon as it begins to rain like this. I regraveled our paddocks last week, so the horses are high and dry, but the rain blew under our overhang and I discovered that my Rambo is apparently not waterproof anymore...poor Calvin was soaking wet.

Heinz- Looks like the heavy rain is coming to an end, so hopefully your creek will recede. I can hear our creek, but it is 300 feet below the back pasture, so no worries there, thank goodness.

Our biggest issue is the damn dogs won't go out to pee when it rains like this...instead, they book it for the barn and hike their legs on my hay! GRRR!!! Bad dogs!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

We're ok so far (knock wood), but holy cow what a lot of rain! I heard 5.14" in Bremerton during the last 24 hrs. My dad said he had 3.5" in his gauge on Bainbridge. Yikes!
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Our horses are all happy. We too are on a hill so no worries about anything but mud and possibility of the road washing out. My girl and her friends were all out this morning when I brought their special breakfast, had to coax them to come in! Everyone else was happy as clams.

Just glad it's not cold and not white. Heard that my parents' power is out but mine is on. Had to detour around a road that was flooded in order to get back to work on my lunch break but other than that we were OK.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I felt like I was going to drown just looking out of the window today! Where's the smiley with the umbrella?

I would say that the horses didn't mind, but I went to pull a couple out for my farrier and realized that the two with stalls that open into pastures had dry feet.....and they were clean. They clearly had no interest in leaving their stalls at any point during the day!

And seriously, you know it's wet out when your horses are muddy. You know it's REALLY wet out when they've passed muddy and are back to clean!

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, my two boys were filthy and wet, so they obviously enjoyed the tiny breaks in the downpours we had here. My big boarder horse was leaping and bucking and squealing when I went out to put them in--not sure if he was enjoying himself or was commenting on the weather. My poor farrier had two drippy, muddy horses to deal with--I did pull blankets and towel off legs, so he only had to smell their retired, funky selves. He had to get on home, as he had a message that water was running through his barn from all this rain! That is my nightmare--wet stalls suck.

The barn I board at is on higher ground, but the road to get there is currently closed due to flooding from Dairy Creek. Yesterday the creek was about 3 feet wide and maybe 2-3 feet deep at the most.

This is today:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...29698394_n.jpg

This is only my second winter in the PNW, so I'm skeer-ed. Why do I live in a Biblical deluge kind of place? Oh, and it makes me grateful for my tall 4WD truck.... who is paid for. Love her, while I am feeling sorry for myself.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    This is only my second winter in the PNW, so I'm skeer-ed. Why do I live in a Biblical deluge kind of place? Oh, and it makes me grateful for my tall 4WD truck.... who is paid for. Love her, while I am feeling sorry for myself.
    I dare say this isn't normal. Or wasn't, until now....

Hope everyone is ok. And could you please send the rain this way? We need rain desperately...
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I dare say this isn't normal. Or wasn't, until now....
    I don't know...I keep wondering if this is the new normal! This summer...great, I can live with that every year. This past month? I sure hope it isn't a sign of what we're in for all winter.

Today was reminiscent - but not even close to being as bad - as 12/3/07. THAT was a baaaaad storm.

Took my dog for a walk a bit ago. Beautiful clear night, stars out and very bright.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

After 1996, this is child's play! And, yesterday wasn't even a record rainfall or wind speed on the coast. Did you see the empty semi tipped over on the Astoria bridge? Who drives across that thing with an empty semi trailer in 75 mph wind??

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    After 1996, this is child's play! And, yesterday wasn't even a record rainfall or wind speed on the coast. Did you see the empty semi tipped over on the Astoria bridge? Who drives across that thing with an empty semi trailer in 75 mph wind??
    It didn't look like the smartest thing to do, that bridge is quite long and high off the ground.

Water levels are holding at our house, nearly up to the gate - which means about 3/4 of the pasture is under water. My biggest concern was actually my hay barn, which is a scant 20' from the pasture gate.

Speaking of Astoria, I was recently there and learned all about the Bar Pilots who take container ships through the treacherous 17 miles that make the mouth of the Columbia River. It's completely bad-ass.

I can't even imagine what that water looks like right now.

Oh, and supposedly people are taking ships with deep draws (amount of the ship below the waterline) in a relatively shallow river. Heard some crap about 6" of water between the hull of the ship and the bottom of the river in some places. Yeah, that's six inches, not feet. How the F is that possible?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.