The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WWYD? Stray Need Vet Attention

Is it OK to vaccinate a cat (rabies/distemper) more than once per year?

I think we've been officially adopted by cat #7. He's been hanging around for a few months now, and is finally letting us handle him. He's actually a very nice cat, quite sweet and affectionate, seems happy in our barn, and I don't mind feeding him. My usual rule is that they have to be tame enough to be spayed/neutered and rounded up for routine vaccinations.

But now that he's letting us get close to him, I've found that he needs to see a vet for a neck wound. Its not getting worse or better in the past week, and I'd just as soon have it seen to.

My worry is, since he's officially a 'stray' and I don't know his vaccination history, I'm afraid that if I take him in to the humane society, they'll confiscate him. I'd prefer my vet, but they will definitely insist on vaccine's NOW, which is fine by me as long as its not dangerous for the cat to be vaccinated more than once in a 3-6 month period.

Should I just take him in to my vet and have them wait to do his vaccines for a few more months, or just let them do everything now and hope it won't hurt to have him vaccinated too frequently?

It seems strange, generally people have the opposite problem, of animals not being up to date, but because this guy is so sweet, and was in such good shape, I can't help but think that he might have actually had a loving home until recently, and my biggest concern is that 2 vaccines in a 1 year period might be harmful for him.

I've put the word out in the neighborhood that he's around, but so far, no one has claimed him.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Take him to the vet & tell them your concerns. While I doubt a stray cat has been vaccinated too close - if at all - your vet will surely take that into consideration. Better safe than sorry.

And a big kudos to you for even taking the cat to the vet. Far too many people consider "barn cats" not worth the $.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    And a big kudos to you for even taking the cat to the vet. Far too many people consider "barn cats" not worth the $.
    My thing is that I already have 6 cats, a dog, and 2 horses that I love dearly, so its either turn this cat in to the shelter, or make sure he's taken care of and not a health hazard to any of my other pets. I've grown somewhat attached to him, he's too nice a cat to turn into the shelter. And although our shelter kill rate is low, the neck wound would probably tip the balance against him. So I guess that means I'm now the proud owner of Cat #7.

If my vet thinks he might be a health hazard after looking at the nature of his wound, (it covers a large area and doesn't seem to be healing) then I'll have to make the hard decision, but IMHO, I think he'll be fine with some antibiotics.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I wouldnt worry too much about over vaccinting this one time. Shelters do it all the time. Not "ideal" but certainly a better option than not vaccinating him.

1 members found this post helpful.

About three weeks ago a injured, skinny, no collared dog showed up at my place. She had infected wounds on her neck from an attack and an injured leg. I took her to my vet the next day. The dog had a fever of 104.5 and was, well sick as a dog. My vet attended to the wounds and splinted the leg. We ran a heartworm test and the dog was negative. We went ahead and gave her a rabies shot to protect me- with the caveat to watch her closely for the next 10 days- since the dog was going to rehab at my place until I could rehome her.

When in doubt error on the side of proactive. And congrats on getting Seven!

Earlier this year a skinny, sick cat showed up at my house. When he was still there a few days later, I took him to the vet and had him checked over, combo tested, and vaccinated. I fell in love with him, named him, and when I took him back for a second visit because he wasn't doing well, x-rays showed he had advanced lung cancer and I had to put him down. I don't regret any part of what I did, but I'm still baffled, and angry, that such a wonderful animal could be abandoned, especially when he was so sick.

I wouldn't hesitate to take your new cat in for vaccines.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com