The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Between the barn and the kids I nanny. My truck is nasty. Ok, I can't blame the kids. I don't let them eat in my truck and anything that goes in, must come out. But I can't seem to keep the dang thing clean! Inside or out. It embarrasses me sometimes.

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Quote Originally Posted by Lauruffian View Post
    So nice to know I'm in good company. And great tips, MistyBlue--I especially like the leaf blower idea!

Meanwhile, the "Similar Threads" linked below are both perplexing and amusing me. "Vegetarian holiday main dishes"?
    This is how I clean out my truck....a leaf blower....it is SO much faster. Mine is a regular tack trunk, I so need to clean mine out....I'll get to it.... ;-)

1 members found this post helpful.

I am so embarrassed by my horsey car (which happens to be my daily driver) that I park in the far corner of the parking lot at work so my students don't catch a glimpse inside of it walking past on the way in/out. I am certain I would lose what little prof "street cred" I may have. Right now the main mess is loose hay completely covering the tarp on the folded down back seat (preventing me from rolling down the windows when the car is in motion), a bag of shaving pellets exploded and I have yet to clean it up, a horse blanket shoved into the front passenger foot area, and needles/syringes/vetwrap/duct tape/gauze all over the front passenger seat from my currently busted horse.

Before I had a truck, I would bring hay to the horses in the trunk of my Chevy Cavalier...and I didn't have it in bags...It was loose...

Thank gawd they didn't look in there before giving me an offer on trade-in value...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I bought my SUV with only 9 miles on her in Dec of 08. I SWORE, being it was my first ever new vehicle, that i would not let it get nasty inside.

It was only 2 days later that I had to haul hay in it. Never did get all that hay back out. LOL

I was in a roll over accident with said vehicle this September and she was hauled away to the tow lot. When I went the next day to retrieve items from the vehicle I was slightly embarassed as I had two laundry baskets full of stuff to haul away.

Items included: saddle, bridle, boots, a carpet (for the dogs), a blanket, bucket of bathing stuff, bottled water, treats, rotten apple, bag of carrots, halter and lead rope, leashes (dogs), dog treats, etc etc...you get the picture.

Well, we're down to one vehicle now in the DC area and it's my husband's which is normally pretty clean. It only took me one week to end up with a saddle, 2 girths, bridle, riding boots, brushes, etc in the car. <shrugs> I need that stuff!

But I'm trying to keep it clean. I'm TRYING.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My car is always fighting horse dirt no matter how well I bag dirty tack and blankets that have to come home to wash. And my dash is always covered in grey horse hair. How does this happen?

BuddyRoo...maybe try a portable tack trunk? Stuff it full of your tack that needs to be mobile and sling it into the vehicle when you head to the barn and then back out again when home. That way it's a single item to remember and keeps all of your stuff from cluttering up the car. You can even get a light giant rubbermaid tub with handles for a few bucks to use.

And if anyone has to haul hay inside of a vehicle instead of the back of a pickup...next time you're at the grocery store grab a $4 box of Lawn and Leaf bags or Construction bags. Toss that box in your trunk or SUV. Each one fits a 50# bale. Because getting chaff out of interior fabric is an exercise in futility!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Zenyatta View Post
    My car is a tack box/hay trailer on wheels.
    Yep.

I felt better when I learned it was the international symbol for horsey girl, though. A friend and I were going to dinner with some former coworkers from Germany who were in town. We met them at their hotel and told them they probably wanted to ride to the restaurant with her. One got in my truck anyway, looked in the back seat and said "It looks just like my girlfriend's car."

I don't have so much trouble with mud or various other liquids since I don't have kids in the car and live in the desert. It's mostly just a collection of horsey things. The bed has remnants of hay bales past, of course, but that's what a pickup is for. ;-)

My mom's car needs to make a trip to my friend's house so he can shop vac it. Transporting 100lbs bales in a trunk is tough on cleanliness...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Let me let my husband's comments tell the story about my vehicle(s):

1. After rummaging around looking for something - "We can call the Feds & tell them they can stop looking for Jimmy Hoffa".

2. After pulling an old newspaper that was stuck under one of the seats - "Oh look - "Lucky Lindy" made it across the Atlantic".

3. After brushing down a few cobwebs from over the visor - "Already decorated for Halloween, are you?"

Funny guy.

3 members found this post helpful.

I certainly could do a better job of keeping my car clean. But honestly, I just don't care, and never have. Cars & trucks lose value every day you own them, clean or dirty, so I can't get excited about cleaning them. Besides, any day that's nice enough to wash your car is better spent riding, isn't it?

In my defense, while I have a lot of stuff in my car, I can't think of a single thing in there that has never been used...flashlights, blankets, bungee cords, food, water, plastic bags...all have come in handy.

My tack trunk in the barn is cleaner, but still full of just about anything you might ever need. It's like Mary Poppins' bag!

My ancient tow vehicle is pretty clean. The car I use for commuting and going to my weeky lessons at trainer's barn looks and smells like a tack room that needs a good cleaning!

I'm usually anal about both my vehicles and my tack room, but lately I feel like I'm running 24/7 and still falling behind. Thank goodness I have NO committments for this weekend!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bethe Mounce View Post
    This is how I clean out my truck....a leaf blower....it is SO much faster. Mine is a regular tack trunk, I so need to clean mine out....I'll get to it.... ;-)
    Is a leaf blower kinda sorta a substitute for a vacuum?

I hate the vacuuming job.

Otherwise, I'm very grateful to my father who barely tolerated children in his car at all. Having survived, I now have decent car cleanliness standards.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

What a timely thread! Last week I was running a course in NJ. I drove up. I drove the faculty over from the hotel to the course. One faculty member got into my car (and thinking it was a rental) exclaimed, "This car is FILTHY!" I laughed and agreed completely. My trunk has hay and woodchips in it. I carry all manner of horse stuff in it. She kept apologizing to me for dissing my car, but honestly, it is bad and I never seem to have the time or inclination to clean it.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

My stepkids use my vehicle like a mobile closet/toy chest. I don't spend a lot of time looking to see what all is stockpiled in the backseats, but I can guarantee there's probably a half dozen socks (none matching), some lego or beyblade parts, probably at least one pair pants belonging to my SD, and a heap of school books & papers. I gave up trying to clean up after them or nagging them to pick up their stuff.

To give an idea of the outside... It's a black vehicle. Much of the time, it appears dark grey due to the dirt. The last time my DH washed it for me, I "lost" it in the Target parking lot, only to realize the black SUV I kept walking past was actually mine. Is it bad to not recognize your own vehicle when it's clean?
    Jer 29: 11-13

I cleaned out the jeep before the trip to Equine Affaire, but one of my riders said the car smelled good, like hay....

Our tow vehicle is, fortunately for us, the color of dust. Unfortunately for the truck, it means it doesn't get washed much. I have an appointment to have it detailed in a few weeks because I am not quite sure it has been washed in the past year. This afternoon, I ran it through the quick and cheap car wash because it was going from dusty looking to sooty looking. I looks better, but it did nothing for the leaf imprints on the hood and the slightly darker than the paint grime is still stuck in the crevices.

Because it is an extra vehicle that needs to be used by non-horsey family members on occasion, we are pretty successful at keeping the interior uncluttered even if it still has a certain aroma about it. Sadly, the exterior gets neglected.

I will never purposefully buy a vehicle that does not have vinyl floors ever again. I thought it would be a perk when I bought my F250 - wasn't specifically looking for them, but hey, bonus. They are invaluable! Dogs, mud, hay, various spilled liquids, dog vomit, human vomit, you name it, it either vacuums or wipes out. Throw in some seat covers and the most I ever have to do is wipe the dash and clean the windows.

The outside is another story. Dirty, dirty, dirty.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

Another Freestyle owner here. Also have some ideas that have helped...well, ok, but it's still pretty dirty - just not totally filthy!

One thing that I'm so glad to have in the car - bought 4 folding square cloth cubby/closet organizers from Target. They come in all kinds of colors - bought tan to match the interior. They fit perfectly in a straight line across the back, and I can move them into a square, or along the side - depending on what big item I am carrying in the back. I throw all the junk in these cubbies I keep "just in case" - extra CDs, flashlight, paper towels & windex, cloth shopping bags, plastic bags & baggies for doggie cleanup, small tools. Really helps keep all that stuff in the back from rolling around!

Also, I never knew this until I rode with an ex boss who always had an immaculate car - even in winter. You can buy rubber winter floormats, and they save your regular carpeted ones. Then you can drag mud, sand, etc. into the car on a regular basis, and they can just be hosed off! I bring the carpeted ones in the house, use spray carpet cleaner and vacuum, and put away until spring. Can't believe I lived all these years and just learned this one!

But my car is still a pretty sad state of affairs. Have an Irish Wolfhound who must come along at every opportunity. She gets the entire back seat, and even though that's covered by a hammock type cover, does she ever bring in the dirt - and too tall to go in the back - plus she HAS to be able to drape her head over the console.

Finally, the mice this year have trained me to no longer leave food in the car. They were even removing wrapped mints for my guy from the bag in the front seat, and stockpiling them in a horse blanket I had in the back of the car. When one bit the dust in my duct work, I really learned my lesson!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I am pretty clean about everything. House is clean, tack and tack box are neurotically clean, car is clean, etc.

Once a week I shake out the rubber floor mats, pick up any receipts and paper products to recycle, and check for any little things rolling around (pens, sunglasses, etc.).

I try to vacuum out my car once a week or at worst twice a month to keep the dirt from getting out of control. I also do a quick interior wipe down with armor all wipes. The outside gets rinsed off fairly frequently and I do a deep scrub and wax whenever I go visit my folks (dad's a car collector and "clean" is never remotely clean enough by his standards).

My car used to get pretty bad but I found that 10-15 minutes a week meant that I never needed to do a 2 hour deep cleaning again.

Mine's pretty dirty. Used '04 pickup, bought in '07. I live on a gravel road, so not only do I have dust from both my own vehicle, I've got it from others' too. When it rains? Forget it. Mud city. It's hardly worth it to wash the darn thing, so It's pretty much a permanent dust bunny.

Inside? Full time student, full time worker lives here. I once got out of a ticket because I had so much junk in there, when the cop looked in the window I sheepishly said, "I practically live outta this thing." He took me literally, and I got off with a warning. I've got boots, books, clothing, random horse equipment, and random school supplies scattered about. I'm single, so I'm the only one in my truck, except for the rare occasion when I have to drive someone home, and then I end up having to stuff everything behind the seats