The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff from first time, most embarassing time you fell off.

There was a time of the month I didn't have good balance or strenght, so tried not to take chances that day.
    I had started in a new college, had not been riding for several months, studies were hectic, exams coming, etc.
    I found this riding school close, went to check it out, not really intending to ride, but signed on for a group beginner lesson they were just starting in their indoors as I got there.
    They gave me this little fat butterball of a mare and the lesson went fine as we cruised along.
    At the end the whole group, some 12-14 riders, cantered together.
    My mare kept breaking into a trot, so finally I gaver her too strong an aid and she barely crowhopped in a turn and I slid and FELL off.

I was glad I had not told them I was not a beginner.

Same thing for me, a first lesson at a new boarding barn where they were just gauging the ability of us newbies to decide which lessons to put us in. I had said I'd ridden in the past, done w/t/c but that that it'd been a good decade.

I could not for the life of me get the horse I was riding to canter, took me ages to find the right rhythm for posting, and then to top it all off?

I fell flat on my butt under the horse when I dismounted.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

This thread just made me realize that I dont think ive ever had an uber embarassing accidental dismount. It also reminds me that I havent fallen off in years.....
    The time must be coming for an embarassing fall!

2 members found this post helpful.

No one else saw my most embarrassing fall, but I won't be forgetting it too soon. It was the universe telling me to stay humble. A few days prior to this I had ridden bareback through a rear, spin, and bolt episode. I was feeling quite the rider .

So, on the trusty mare, bareback, halter with lead only because we were in the back pasture and she was grazing. I was just hanging out with her. Something caught her attention and she did a little jump. Just a little bring her head up quick and move her feet a little. Yup, I was on my butt in the grass. Slid right off. That'll teach me .
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Calena View Post
    No one else saw my most embarrassing fall, but I won't be forgetting it too soon. It was the universe telling me to stay humble.
    heh, no one saw my most embarrassing "fall" either - I was at a horse show (at the farm where I boarded) and decided to get on in the indoor before going out to warm up, since it was quieter (empty) in there.

Fully decked out in new TS breeches, show coat, freshly polished boots, etc.

The mounting block had been put outside, so I figured I'd just get on from the ground, no biggie. But as I didn't often mount from the ground and wasn't great at it, I really gave myself a couple good hops and jumped as hard as I could off the ground...

... and propelled myself gracefully off the other side.

Mare never moved a muscle. heh.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

2 members found this post helpful.

I was at a schooling show warming up a pony for a 7 year old (I am 5'11'' so you get the picture)

Evil pony realized it was not said 7 year old on its back and decided to throw an attitude...so I trotted up to a tiny x anddd STOP. All I have to reprimand him is the kid's sparkly, glittery pink crop with a star at the end.

So I trot up again and he stops again...slooowly...and I slide all the way down his short little neck and land on the X.

My friends, my trainer, and several other trainers who were in warmup were actually on the ground laughing

Kiddo got on and pony behaved like a dream. Grrr...

1 members found this post helpful.

Well the day before my embarrassing fall I was walking my OTTB though the hay field as a cool down. Out of NOWHERE he starts crow-hopping for atleast 30 seconds, I lose both stirrups, and he goes bolting away from the invisible monster. I stayed on, slowed him down, patted him and continued walking. No one saw my awesome ability to stay on.

The next day, my uncle comes to watch me ride and jump my horse, and I'm going over 3' jumps for maybe the 3rd time on this horse. He's going great until I go over one more jump, stirrup leather breaks and I go sliding off.

Yay for people not seeing the good moments...

In front of a troop of Girl Scouts who were out to visit the barn. I was a demo rider, showing them the different gaits and some jumping. A little 2'6" vertical was set up kind of awkwardly in the ring, but I was on my fearless eventer so I was lazy about getting a good approach. Horse ducked out neatly to the left and I came off over the shoulder. Probably not the most reassuring sight for the a couple of the girls who were terrified of horses!
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

Most embarassing fall was this past summer...and I wasn't even on the horse yet. I was in the round pen preparing to mount up for my three year old's third or fourth ride under saddle, but I guess I had put the mounting block on a uneven patch. As soon as I went to lift up my first foot into the stirrup, the mounting block tipped over and I fell flat on my back, half on the mounting block and half underneath the horse. Thank god for my saint of green bean who jumped a bit at the commotion but stayed still and didn't trample me. The riders hacking around in the outdoor ring beside me came rushing over at the noise, concerned that he had thrown me off.

Nothing like doing something stupid like that after you've spent so much time trying to convince them that the mounting block is a "safe" place to be.

I was around 17 or so. I was warming up during the break before my bareback class. My mom was working in the booth at the show. She had the bobby pins, so I ride over to her and get the bobby pins. They are in a little plastic box. The judge is standing next to the booth. I turn around and start to head back to the barn to finish getting ready for the class. I cue for the lope, the bobby pins rattle in the little plastic box, and the next thing I know I'm on my butt in the dirt with my horse standing over me looking like she's afraid I'm going to eat her. I immediately thought of the bobby pins as I'm dusting myself off. Holding on to the reins, I gently rattle the box and she backs away looking terrified. So, I take some out of the box, hand the box back to my mom or my sister or someone (don't remember), put the rest of them in a pocket or in my mouth or something (don't remember), hopped on my horse and loped out of the ring. The whole time the judge was right there watching. Oh, and my class was the first one after the break, and I won.

My mare has some interesting quirks. One of them is you can never ever, under any circumstances, add even the tiniest amount of leg until she is properly warmed up. So yeah, I thought she was fully warmed up and had my leg just resting on her side. There was a trot pole so I decided to walk over it, and for some reason she balked, so I added leg. She slammed into reverse, ducked her shoulder, and gave a mini-buck, and I'm left sitting in the dirt. So, yeah, I fell off at a walk, going over a ground pole.

Thanks for the afternoon laughs! They are good at helping me wake-up at my desk in the afternoon, you know that time, when all you want to do is curl up under your desk and take a nap.

I'm going through my memories trying to remember some of the times I've fallen. Hopefully I'll be able to come back and add to this thread.

At a show - where else? And of course the family was there.

I wasn't even jumping. It was eq on the flat, and the big TB I was on decided mid-canter that he needed to poo, and that he needed to be standing still in order to do so. So he slammed on the brakes and off I went, over the shoulder. Right in front of the judge, to boot. How we didn't cause a wreck in that class I'll never know.

But I got back on and finished up. Needless to say, I didn't pin.

I think I was about 13, riding in an event at the farm where I boarded. My pony was being a jerk all day because she was mad that there were strange horses at "her" barn. On the cross-country course, she randomly decided that she was NOT going into the water jump, even though said water jump was in her field, and all the horses loved hanging out in there on hot days. There were no flags at the entrance to the water jump, only at the exit, so I could keep trying without getting eliminated. After about 10 minutes, and having to move out of the way twice for other riders to pass us, she FINALLY gave up. She launched herself into the exact middle of the water, stopped short, and bucked me off, in front of the crowd of people who had gathered to give me moral support.

I was so mad/embarrassed that I got back on right in the middle of the water, and we finished the course without further mishaps. However, there was a permanent water mark on that saddle in the shape of my butt, so I got to remember it every day for years.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I was a teenager and test pilot in our riding school.
    We got this new retired mounted police horse, that were retired at 14, but still had many good years on them.
    I was trying him out and he even seemed to have done some jumping, was acing anything I put him to.

The instructor told me to take him that weekend to a local show and see what we got.

Our whole riding school had one standard black velvet cap we all used, that was before riding helmets.
    We would put it on, jump our course and exiting hand it over to the next rider.

I was first that afternoon and my horse jumped well, then we ran at the water jump and he seemed to go jump it, when he stopped, I slid down his neck, pulling the bridle and reins completely off with my thumbs and fell head first in the water.

Someone caught the horse finally and I never lived down that everyone else had to ride with a very WET hunt cap and that it was good it was cork, so it was able to float in the water, didn't have to fish it from the bottom.

They later told me that two ducks flew out of the water just as we got there, that I never saw, that is why he must have stopped like he did.

Mine was during an evaluation ride at a new barn. I had been riding for several years but never really in front of new people, and never at a new/different barn, and also never for a private lesson... Basically the lesson was to see where I was in my riding, and if the horse they chose would be a good match for me for the rest of the year. Needless to say I was a little nervous! I was put on a chestnut arabian (...you can't imagine this story will end poorly, can ya?! Ha, god love him). We warmed up on the flat and everything was going well. and then we started to jump. Approaching the first fence, there was a large puddle in front. Trainer was just about to say horse wasn't the biggest fan of water, but didn't have a chance. The horse dipped his shoulder and got the heck out of dodge. I went swimming.
    I stood up, wrung myself out, trainer caught the horse, and said, "This will do nicely indeed..."
    Rode that horse for about a year and a half and really learned not to anticipate a jump! And how to make it across a puddle and not necessarily "through" it
    Last edited by bits619; Apr. 20, 2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Phone key board... Fat fingers
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

happened to my sister when we were pre-teens

cute, new boy at the barn...

she wasnt even on her horse yet!... she climbed a gate to get on her horse (we always rode bareback in those days) as she threw a leg over, the gate moved and she slipped off.. worse part... landed face first in a big pile of horse poo...

boy was standing right there...

I was sitting on my horse (giggling of course)... all I could say to him was: "she did that on purpose to impress you"

There are numerous embarrassing ones, but the latest is falling off before getting on. How? Well, standing on mounting block, toe in stirrup with horse looking out the window. He snorts at the lounge whip leaning against window and steps out slightly. I proceed to do a belly-flop at his feet, which I guess is quite scary so he runs off to the other end then stares at me like I'm crazy. Thankfully no one, other than the horse, saw me.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Where else but at a show?

Very early morning warmup for Medals.
    I am dressed in grubby clothes & Vernon performed like a Champ - met every distance, jumping in great form, etc, etc...

All in an arena full of wet sand from last night's rain & with noone watching except my coach.

I change into show clothes - all sparkly clean with white ratcatcher, shooting just the right amount of cuff....

A small crowd is now in the warmup area.

I decide to do one more jump - simple vertical - as a final warmup for the class.
    Forgot to clear that flight plan with Vern.
    He canters right up to the fence with me sitting in my most glorious Equitational mode aka: Not.Paying.Attention.

And steps on the brakes.
    And deposits me in the sand.
    The wet, clinging, sand.

Do you know how hard - make that impossible - it is to remove all trace of wet sand from a navy huntcoat?
    A white ratcatcher?
    I do.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

well...I would say my last week of riding has been pretty embarassing as a whole as I have fallen off THREE TIMES. At little minnie baby fences. Mare decided to refuse (for various reasons I won't get into) each time and spin to the right, handily depositing me over her left shoulder. First time, I bounced off the rail and landed on my knees. Second time, missed the fence, landed flat on my back. Third (and most glorious) time, I took out a whole freaking oxer. I have a patchwork of bruises on my back, and I'm definitely going to have to visit my chiro soon!

My most stylish fall though was coming through a bending line, horse decided to side step around the standard which I was not expecting and I came off in slow motion (or at least in my mind it felt like slow motion), did a sommersault, and ended up on my knees. I felt like I should have put my arms up in the air like a gymnast afterwards or something! LOL