The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody here had microscopic orthopedic surgery on their horse? Stifle ...

My horse is having her second IRAP injections tomorrow and then we're going to schedule her for surgery. She's got mineralization and a torn medial meniscus in the stifle. She's not a performance horse or anything, she was in a nasty wreck before I got her (and I've had her 7 years), so we figure it's something from that, but not sure. She mostly just moseys along on trail. She's been a little off for a while, but nothing too unusual for her, and then reeeeallly lame in the RH. Did xrays and u/s and found out what was going on.

Anyway, now that we're pass most of the pre-lim stuff and the surgery is getting closer, I'm nervous has heck. She has to go under general for this. They want to do it 2-3 weeks after the last IRAP and make sure as much inflammation as possible is gone to make the surgery easier. I was ok while were were still in the middle of stuff, but now this is that last one and surgery is looming. Ugh.

I want to be there when she's in surgery. I don't know how long it takes, I'm going to ask the vet a lot of stuff tomorrow when she comes out.

Has anyone else done this surgery? Thanks!

I havent had this exact surgery done, but have witnessed quite a few (knees and ankles). I have a friend who's mare had stifle surgery, not exactly sure what was going on, but it was a success! Take a deep breath, they have this (the anesthesia) down to a science if thats your main concern. Hope this heals your mare!