The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Partial clip and blanketing

So I did an Irish (or chaser) clip on my mare. The issue is that we are in AZ and the high will will be in the low 80's this week and the lows are about the high 40's to low 50's. I have been putting a light sheet on her for the night. It is actually one of those Kool Coat turnout sheets. Is this necessary?

I probably wouldn't if you left more than 50% of her hair on her body, unless she's exposed to the wind tonight (I think you're around here?) when it may seem extra cold because of that.

My horse is getting clipped in December, and I will do a lightweight or a sheet for temps between 40 and 50 and a medium weight when temps drop into the 30s. For a minimal partial clip he wouldn't get a blanket unless it was under 40 for the most part.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Even at night? We are in Gilbert. She definitely has more than 50% of her hair left. She really is not even that terribly fuzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Koniucha View Post
    Even at night? We are in Gilbert. She definitely has more than 50% of her hair left. She really is not even that terribly fuzzy.
    Everyone in my barn thinks I'm a gigantic meany, but my mare has a bib clip (chest and a little off the sides by the girth, still has stomach hair) and is not wearing a blanket tonight...and it's going to be around 35. (Although at least 40 in the barn.) She absolutely goes out naked during the day as long as it's 40+

I put a light fleece on her the first night she was clipped, just to give her time to adjust, and someone didn't take it off the next AM, and she was out in the 40* weather sweating when I got to the barn.

They're horses, not china dolls.

Although mine gets plenty of free choice hay, so that keeps her warm. I suppose if your horse isn't eating (and therefore producing heat) you could consider a sheet under 45* or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Koniucha View Post
    The temps I gave are the guidelines I use, regardless of day or night. Many healthy horses do well without blankets in the snow - our weather doesn't require much in the way of blankets!

I would blanket my rescue mare whose body never seemed to adjust to growing much coat at all after she lost most of her hair from starvation if she didn't panic at the possibility. Everyone else has no problem maintaining warmth, and if it's a particularly cold night they get extra hay. We do sometimes close up the barn so their body warmth is contained somewhat and they're protected from wind, but usually they're just fine.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

well........

here are my guidelines and i am in California

+50 bare
    40-50 sheet
    30-40 100 gram blanket
    20-30 200 gram
    we dont get below *that* but if we did i would go 100 grams for each 10 degrees.

eta: if it is raining and above 50 they wear a sheet.

when i was in Ontario canada for a winter (brrrrrr) my body clipped and stalled horse wore a 200 gram blanket and a wool under blanket when it got really cold.

remember they are cold weather animals - it is better in general for them to be cold than hot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine is getting a bib clip this weekend and lives out. He'll get a sheet when its between 32 and 50 and a 100g blanket or sheet with fleece liner when it goes below freezing. if its raining or snowing, he'll get an unlined hood to keep him dry.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I did a chaser clip on my Connemara mare and she is toasty warm to 30 degrees (no wind) without a sheet or blanket. I am the super paranoid horse owner who constantly checks on their horses and is ready to blanket at every 5 degree temperature change but my mare is truly warm without any clothing down to 30 degrees. Now she is a purebred Connemara and her coat seems extra thick to me. I was pretty surprised when two weeks after her clip job her hair had grown back quite a bit more than any of the other horses I have ever clipped (TBs and warmbloods). I would say it really depends on the horse. I use a Rambo Duo with her and she would be fine (quite warm - warmer than I feel is okay - but fine with it on, aka not sweaty) with the 100g outer shell on if it were 30-40 degrees out. Of course, this is barring wind and rain/snow and she is inside if it is nasty outside.

Picture of her with her (very amateur) clip job
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/IMG_3837.jpg