The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When oh when is someone going to invent.......

clumping horse litter? It is so easy to clean up after my cats, I remove the dirty litter and what is left is clean. I never throw out good litter with the bad. Please someone, get on this OK? The stall would be much nicer!!!!

Yeah - but cats do not lay down or live in their litter box! Imagine how big those clumps would be (and how deep you would have to bed) - and what that stuff would be like when you went to pick your horse's feet!

I agree, there has to be a better way, but I don't know that I would want clumping bedding.

Nor do cats wear metal shoes, at least not mine
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Yeah - but cats do not lay down or live in their litter box!
    Heh, one of my cats does. As soon as the fresh litter is put in, he's right there to lie down, roll and play in it....

1 members found this post helpful.

Equine Pine (and the assorted brand variations thereof) sorta/kinda comes close. Once we put down mats and switched to pellets, stall cleaning is so much easier. I locate and dig out the wet and then do a sift & shake for the poop & pooplets. Smaller manure and it breaks down faster.

BUT that's as close as we've got so far!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

self-cleaning stall like the self-cleaning litterboxes. Or a "poop robot" something along the lines of the Roombas.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    self-cleaning stall like the self-cleaning litterboxes. Or a "poop robot" something along the lines of the Roombas.
    I can just imagine my mare's reaction to a poopbot in her stall...
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Pippigirl View Post
    Heh, one of my cats does. As soon as the fresh litter is put in, he's right there to lie down, roll and play in it....
    This is one reason why Stinkerbelle has her name... as a kitten she liked to play in her litter box.... and it didn't necessarily need to be freshly cleaned. My horse has a stall with an adjoining paddock. She's pretty good about pooping outside but man I wish she'd pee outside too. I am switching from shavings to wood pellets just thinking that will be easier and a bit cheaper. I still want clumping horse litter.

LOL when I read the title of this post I had so many things running through my mind (When oh when is someone going to invent - - )

To finish your thought - - -

A ROBOT HORSE!!! So we can love on it, pet it, brush it, ride it and I don't even mind cleaning it's poo; just so we can eliminate - lameness, abscesses, viruses, vaccine reactions, mystery swollen legs, early retirements, and all the heartache that happens with these horses!!

Sometimes I am ready to give up on it. But I do like the idea of easier cleaning as long as there is still poo to clean (which means they are not colicing.)
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

If cats treated their litterboxes like horses treat their stalls . . .

What we need is a simple means of teaching horses to poop and pee only in one spot! I have one who's a neat freak in the stall, bless his heart, and my boss mare MAKES everyone poop in one spot in the dirt paddock, bless HER heart, but other than that . . .
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    This is one reason why Stinkerbelle has her name... as a kitten she liked to play in her litter box.... and it didn't necessarily need to be freshly cleaned. My horse has a stall with an adjoining paddock. She's pretty good about pooping outside but man I wish she'd pee outside too. I am switching from shavings to wood pellets just thinking that will be easier and a bit cheaper. I still want clumping horse litter.
    Lol! If my mare was stalled with clumping horse litter...I'd need a little bobcat machinery thing to clean it out. That mare's a slob!

What we really need is someone to invent litter that will pick itself up, pick up any poo it encounters, and move to the manure pile when it gets wet. Maybe we could put little micro-chips in the pellets that are programmed to act like dung beetles.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    If cats treated their litterboxes like horses treat their stalls . . .

What we need is a simple means of teaching horses to poop and pee only in one spot! I have one who's a neat freak in the stall, bless his heart, and my boss mare MAKES everyone poop in one spot in the dirt paddock, bless HER heart, but other than that . . .
    This! My horse basically pees/poops in the same area of her stall all the time, but it would be great if it was like in a corner or something. Or if there were stall toilets, and horses could learn how to flush

Gypsum pellets work like clumping cat litter. USA Gypsum is the company that produces them.

http://www.usagypsum.com/